PDA

View Full Version : the slides

rossyskier
02-15-2007, 12:22 PM
the slides are most likely going to open this weekend after such a dumping of snow. so in order to ski them are an avalanche beacon, shovel and so on mandatory or just strongly recommended?

AdironRider
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Theres a rating system in place (Gold Silver and Bronze), which determines whether a beacon in required or not. If they are EMS I believe in LP rents them by the day.

sleestak
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I dont know that they will be open. depends on the wind. you will need to check the conditions page over the weekend or call the mountain. i doubt they will open them from whiteface side. i am sure that people will hike up toll road and get into them that way.

takeahike46er
02-15-2007, 02:27 PM
The Slides were addressed in this morning's snow report. They made it clear that they would not be opening anytime soon. It sounds like they got a bit wind scoured. In addition, I'm sure the snow is VERY unstable where it has accumulated. Note the following advisory that was posted at wunderground.com:

... Risk for avalanches in the north country...

Yesterdays record snowfall has created the potential for
avalanches in the back country of the Green Mountains in Vermont
and the Adirondacks in northern New York... according to Stowe
Mountain Rescue officials. Outdoor enthusiasts heading into the
back country through the weekend need to be aware of the avalanche
danger... and risks involved. Steep... open slopes will have the
highest avalanche risk.

The conditions creating the avalanche potential will continue into
early next week.

If you go into the Adirondacks or Green Mountains to Snowshoe...
ski... or ice climb... be aware of the avalanche danger... and take
appropriate precautions.

I'm hoping the wind dies down for tomorrow. Otherwise I might go to Gore instead.

mikeharo
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
The slides will not be open any time soon. The early season warm weather with rain created a weak layer in the snowpack. Any new snow on that pack has a high risk of avalanche danger. High risk indicates natural avalanches are likely and human triggered avalanches are very likely. Until the snowpack morphs into one consistant layer, those slides either need to be blasted or need to stay closed. Any wise backcountry traveler is waiting for at least a week of consistant temperatures and low wind loading situations before they are heading out. The wind loading on the ski area slides is considerable, adding to the unstable snow pack. Enjoy the in bounds, especially Snowfields and be careful.

avalanche.org is an excellent resource. I took the avy course at mountainfest this year and learned more than I thought possible about snow morphology, weather, physics, and search and rescue. I highly recommend it to anyone considering any backcountry travel in avalanche prone areas - and 46'r slides, Colden Trap Dike so on....

freeheelwilly
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I think people in the BC this weekend should probably stay off every slide unless they know its characteristics really well and are up on their avalanche science. I know NOTHING about avalanches other than that they scare me to death. It's a good weekend for BC tree skiing. Luckily the Dacks have a bunch of that!

Does anybody know: Would patrol ever bomb the slides to get them open? Seems like a few well placed charges would probably bring 'em down and if they didn't rip out all the way down to the MLK Storm ice layer there might be something left to ski. Not knowing anything about this subject, I don't know how realistic that is. Just sayin'.

mikeharo
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Patrol is NOT allowed to throw charges on the hill in accordance with NYDEC and Forest Service regulations. The likelihood of the slides opening this season, unfortunately, is not good. The best chance of the slides opening is later in the spring season.

You are correct in reasoning that a charge in there would most likely pull off everything down to the weakest layer which would be that layer that offers the slipperiest surface - the ice/rain storm layer. There is always concern of debris path. To rip the slides would cause so much damage to the slide out area - it would not be worth it - from a DEC view - to do that, let alone that the park service says no bombs anyway.

freeheelwilly
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Patrol is NOT allowed to throw charges on the hill in accordance with NYDEC and Forest Service regulations. The likelihood of the slides opening this season, unfortunately, is not good. The best chance of the slides opening is later in the spring season.

Thanks. Didn't know that. (BTW, I don't think the Forest Service has any jurisdiction in the ADKs.) Is there an actual DEC Reg on point? I'd like to take a look at it.

mikeharo
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Freeheel,

I am not sure exactly who the governing body is for Whiteface. All I know is that ski patrol at Whiteface has confirmed with me that they are not allowed to throw any explosives. One of the instructors of the avy course is on patrol at Whiteface and we had a detailed conversation about the rules they fallow. I am not sure who the governing body is - DEC, Forest Service, Park Service, whoever. What land does Whiteface occupy - its ADK Park land I think, so whoever governs that makes the rules.

Tsavolion
02-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Freeheel,

I am not sure exactly who the governing body is for Whiteface. All I know is that ski patrol at Whiteface has confirmed with me that they are not allowed to throw any explosives. One of the instructors of the avy course is on patrol at Whiteface and we had a detailed conversation about the rules they fallow. I am not sure who the governing body is - DEC, Forest Service, Park Service, whoever. What land does Whiteface occupy - its ADK Park land I think, so whoever governs that makes the rules.

state land = DEC

jbuffett06
02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I know it's been a week since the dump, with some more light snow on the way to WF. Any chance the slides will be open next week or is there still a pretty high avi danger? Anynews?

mikeharo
02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I know it warmed up and rained in Potsdam, did Whiteface get that weather too? If it did rain, the slide conditions will be worse than they were after the storm. If it has been cold and dry, the snowpack is morphing. The big issue as I see it is the early season ice layer underneath all the snow from the season. That layer should be a major concern for those making the decision to open them. I can not offer any inside information, as I have none; even if I did, I'm sure there are liability issues with talking about opening dates. The decision will probably be made the day they will be open as conditions are always changing.

Adirondackskier
02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
IT ABSOLUTELY DID NOT RAIN AT WHITEFACE. It has been snowing all afternoon, a bunch of snow is here for the next week.

mikeharo
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Ok relax, the new snow isn't helping for those who want to get in there anyway. Has it rained recently?

AdironRider
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Didnt rain today and was starting to snow around 2ish when I left.

Jack the Ripper
02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Didnt rain today and was starting to snow around 2ish when I left.

NIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE.