PDA

View Full Version : Kids Kampus, anyone ?

Denison
02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Has anyone of Forum regulars been to Kids Kampus this season? How does it look?

SKIdds
02-21-2007, 10:58 AM
The new lodge and facilities are great. The darn chairs they chose for the lodge are too darn big and clunky such that it is almost impossible to move in there, but there is a lot more seating.

Face4Me
02-21-2007, 04:54 PM
The new Kids Kampus is a good news ... bad news story.

The new building is beautiful. The rentals, ticket purchase and check-in counters are now all under one (beautiful) roof, which of course makes life a lot easier than having to move from building to building, etc. They've put in some big picture windows in the nursery area so the kids, while they're inside, can look out the windows up at the mountain and see what's going on around them. The area where they get the kids booted up is MUCH larger, which seems to make for a far less chaotic environment.

In the cafeteria area, they've expanded the building a little. New bathrooms were added on to the main level. These are large, single user bathrooms which are great for parents with small children. There are only three or four of them, so you may still have to go downstairs when the line gets long on crowded days. They also put in some "gear racks" in the main cafeteria area. These racks are AWESOME. During regular weekend days, they're really helpful in getting everyone's gear off the floor and out from under the tables in a neat, orderly manner. On the busy holiday days, there are simply not enough of them, however, it's unreasonable to expect that they would have created more for just a few days out of the season.

Now the bad news ...

As mentioned in the previous post, the furniture they put in is really nice, very Adirondack in style, however, it's TOO BIG AND CLUNKY for the space they have. The chairs don't fit completely under the tables and they're a little too close together which makes navigating through the lodge really difficult, especially on the busy holiday days. On the busy days, I've started going downstairs at the end of the day to get out of my boots because it's just too crowded upstairs (they have two incredibly awesome rocking chairs down there - I have to find out where I can buy one!).

Also, they made a couple of changes to the food service, but it's still woefully inadequate. I don't mean to be negative, but when you run out of things like pizza and chicken strips at a KID'S lodge, you've dropped the ball.

All that aside, the Kid's Kampus programs are DYNAMITE, and probably one of the best kept secrets of Whiteface. The staff there are amazing, and under some pretty trying circumstances, do a spectacular job.

Tsavolion
02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The new Kids Kampus is a good news ... bad news story.

The new building is beautiful. The rentals, ticket purchase and check-in counters are now all under one (beautiful) roof, which of course makes life a lot easier than having to move from building to building, etc. They've put in some big picture windows in the nursery area so the kids, while they're inside, can look out the windows up at the mountain and see what's going on around them. The area where they get the kids booted up is MUCH larger, which seems to make for a far less chaotic environment.

In the cafeteria area, they've expanded the building a little. New bathrooms were added on to the main level. These are large, single user bathrooms which are great for parents with small children. There are only three or four of them, so you may still have to go downstairs when the line gets long on crowded days. They also put in some "gear racks" in the main cafeteria area. These racks are AWESOME. During regular weekend days, they're really helpful in getting everyone's gear off the floor and out from under the tables in a neat, orderly manner. On the busy holiday days, there are simply not enough of them, however, it's unreasonable to expect that they would have created more for just a few days out of the season.

Now the bad news ...

As mentioned in the previous post, the furniture they put in is really nice, very Adirondack in style, however, it's TOO BIG AND CLUNKY for the space they have. The chairs don't fit completely under the tables and they're a little too close together which makes navigating through the lodge really difficult, especially on the busy holiday days. On the busy days, I've started going downstairs at the end of the day to get out of my boots because it's just too crowded upstairs (they have two incredibly awesome rocking chairs down there - I have to find out where I can buy one!).

Also, they made a couple of changes to the food service, but it's still woefully inadequate. I don't mean to be negative, but when you run out of things like pizza and chicken strips at a KID'S lodge, you've dropped the ball.

All that aside, the Kid's Kampus programs are DYNAMITE, and probably one of the best kept secrets of Whiteface. The staff there are amazing, and under some pretty trying circumstances, do a spectacular job.

I was just talking to someone this weekend who mentioned the clunky furniture and the rocking chairs---i must know who you are or you have some competition for those rockers!

tjf67
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM

Is this centerplate?

Denison
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Thank you SKIdds and Face4Me, for the input.

Maybe i should help them make more space by taking chair or two with me :)

Face4Me
02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
I was just talking to someone this weekend who mentioned the clunky furniture and the rocking chairs---i must know who you are or you have some competition for those rockers!
:idea: They should list the rockers on eBay!!!

highpeaksdrifter
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM

I think what they did to the lodge has been great, but I agree with you on the food. I heard that over the summer they are going to move the kitchen back in order to make more table space and upgrade the kitchen at the same time. I'm not sure why they didn't do it during the initial renovation, maybe they just ran out of time.

sleestak
02-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Is this centerplate?

centerplate--not ORDA