PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

OhioSki8
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi - a buddy of mine are coming up in March for a 5 day stay. We are college kids, so of course we are concerned with

1) Are there a lot of teens, college girls aroudn LP/WF?

2) Northwoods Inn --- Is this a decent place?

3) Lift tickets good at both Gore and WF or are they seperate?

4) Any good bars in LP?

5) WF only has 200 acres? Isn't this really small for a resort?

THANKS

Denison
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
not much, mostly old farts like me

I never thought about Whiteface as a 'resort', so not sure about the answer. Just get to summit and get down to the base. Try this exercise 10 times and see if it's a decent side of a mountain for you.

Jack the Ripper
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi - a buddy of mine are coming up in March for a 5 day stay. We are college kids, so of course we are concerned with

4) Any good bars in LP?

How big are the resorts in OHIO????? :shock: Stay where you are. No snow here.

mikeharo
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Not really, maybe some St Law, Clarkson, SUNY folk, but you will not be able to survive huge nightlife and skiing that hill - if you take your skiing seriously.

It is ok - I never go there - there are much better / classier places.

I think they are good at both but why go to Gore?

4) Any good bars in LP?

LP Pub and Brewery - good food, amazing beer - get the s'mores. I really like the Cottage but that is classy.

I GUARANTEE that Whiteface will be more than you can handle. I know this based on the questions you are asking. If you take your skiing seriously, Whiteface will kick your ass all over the place. I learned to ski at Whiteface, went on to qualify for junior olympics, and skied sub 100 point FIS seed points. Whiteface is still challenging. The terrain is outstanding as both diverse and challenging and I have skied and raced all over the country.

I hear they don't have much snow though, maybe check out Klingontown or something. Whiteface gets sooo busy too, maybe you should just go to LP to check out the hunnies and get hammered. Seriously - spring break for us college kids is coming up. Kling - on - town has a TON of bars and I'm sure all the smoking hot college ski babes will be there.

ajl50
02-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Well said mike.

OhioSki8
02-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Ok - seems I've pissed off some of the locals. I'm used to skiing Aspen-Snowmass, which is 6000 acres. Can't afford to fly out there this year, so were going to NY.

I asked if lift tickets were good at both because Gore looks nice. The only thing I know about the mountains is what I've found from their websites.

Whiteface looks like one of the best mountains in the east, that's why we're heading up there.

Would you recommend the Hilton over the Northwoods Inn?

takeahike46er
02-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Whiteface is BIG, but not in terms of acreage. In fact, aside from its vertical drop Whiteface is on the smaller side compared to the major northeast ski areas. Gore actually offers more acres of skiing; however, Gore skiis much smaller despite having some fantastic terrain.

It's important to note that neither Whiteface or Gore have a boundry-to-boundry policy so the acreage reflects that.

SKIdds
02-22-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm used to skiing Aspen-Snowmass, which is 6000 acres.
Have you ever skied an Eastern ski resort?

Nothing in the East will be anything like Aspen-Snowmass or any other Western resort. Not much in the way of wide open spaces, no bowls that comprise a big share of those 6,000 acres. You really can't compare Eastern and Western resorts all that much.

That said, Whiteface is a big mountain. It may not have the trail count or mileage of many a Vermont resort, but the vert is big and the skiing will put you to the test. They may not be hairball steep like chutes you'll find out West, but Skyward and Cloudspin have the sustained pitch to keep you on your toes. If the glades and Empire are open you'll get a good test of your skills.......and Eastern woods are a lot tighter than what you'll find at many a Western resort.

So don't worry about the acreage......worry whether or not you've got the gams to ski an Olympic downhill course top to bottom non-stop.

If bars and babes are as important to you as the skiing you really should go to Killington. If you are serious about your skiing, a full day at Whiteface followed by a couple beers in the Cloudspin Lounge will have you begging for advil and a warm bed, all by your lonesome, by 9pm.

Denison
02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Don't be discoraged, OhioSki8, come to Adirondacks.

Whiteface is a great place, and if you got 3+ multiday lift tickiets they are good for Gore as well. I think it's about an hour drive from Lake Placid to Gore.

If you're coming on March 9-11 you'll get to see Snowboard Cup, if other dates - check the events calendar, there is something happening every weekend.

As for place to stay, if you're not commited to Northwoords Inn yet, stay in Art Devlin's Motor Inn - one of the best motels in town.

tjf67
02-22-2007, 09:28 AM
THe slides have a good chance of being opens as well.

Art Devlins is a great choice.
Whiteface is a BYOB mountain.
Go to Lisa G's on Monday night
Pub and Brewery on Tuesday nights
ZIGZAGS wed on. Zigzags starts late

Point'em Down
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Multi day tickets are good at both Whiteface & Gore. Your First day of skiing must be at the Mt you bought them at.

mikeharo
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
THe slides have a good chance of being opens as well

What evidence do you have to support this? Have you dug pits? Have you been watching the weather - how about the humidity? What about the recent freeze thaw cycle? What knowledge went into this comment?

tjf67
02-22-2007, 04:10 PM

What evidence do you have to support this? Have you dug pits? Have you been watching the weather - how about the humidity? What about the recent freeze thaw cycle? What knowledge went into this comment?

The weather has been moderating with a day above freezing in the past week. The warmer weather is helping bake the layers into one.
The humity is high with the warmer weather making for easier penetration as well as melting the layers together
I even think the are calling for some rain that will only help.
We know there is plenty of snow it just not stable. Its getting there though

It been freezing cold for the past month. Are your referring to the weather prior to that cause I we can talk about that ice slab thats down there.

You dont believe they are getting closer and have a possibility of being open in 2 weeks? You should

If you can come down off your high horse I would be interested to hear your opinions.

mikeharo
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
"Snow sense" Doug Fesler, page 68 - "New snow or rain, especially heavy amounts, can make the snowpack highly unstable. ....warming them (the layers) and eroding the bonds between grains as well as between slab layers. "

My opinion:

The snowpack is too unstable. Chuck Boyd, who is working with Whiteface to open the slides more often, has said the snowpack is unstable. He is teaching the Level 2 avy course next weekend Another source, close family friend, at Whiteface has said that the only way to get them safe is with charges; charges can not be used in the Adirondack Park. If you want to go slide skiing, go and play on the other High Peaks - just make sure you do your snowpack tests first. My opinion has been and will be that the best chance of the slides opening is very late in the season.

Dr Skimeister
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok - seems I've pissed off some of the locals. I'm used to skiing Aspen-Snowmass, which is 6000 acres. Can't afford to fly out there this year, so were going to NY.

not sure where you get your info, but all 4 of the Aspen resorts put togethere are considerably less than 6000 acres. Snowmass, by far the largest, is 3100.

highpeaksdrifter
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM

THANKS

Young dude, there is not any place in ski country that has alot of single college girls hanging out. In your threads Kmart keeps coming up, even at the 2 biggies there The Pickle Barrel and the Wobbely Barn, take a look around. Single girls to single guys are about 8 to 1 against you.

If you want to chase girls around (and who could blame you?) go to Florida on Spring break. If you want a kick arse ski experience come to WF.

Lbtchnlgs
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Ohio-
Don't think that everyone on this forum, or that ski whiteface are as stuck up and middle school style as some of the people that posted for your comment.

Whiteface is a sick mountain- you'll have a good time because the world cup snowboarding is coming, maybe you'll be in town for the night time 1/4 pipe comp which should be a kick ass time. The mountain is big, like you have heard maybe not the acreage or trail count, but its a long ways down.

The parks pretty nice so if your into that you should have a good time also once the pros are done with the pipe it will be in the best condition it has been all year.

I couldn't tell you where to stay because i have never done an overnight there.

Definitely go to gore. I think you'll find it to be a great mountain, steeps cruisers and some of the best glades around.

Don't worry about the girls, all you need is mary jane:wink: :twisted:

Maybe i'll see you up there, im thinking of spending a night or two during the world cup

Jack the Ripper
02-22-2007, 07:33 PM

I asked if lift tickets were good at both because Gore looks nice. The only thing I know about the mountains is what I've found from their websites.

Whiteface looks like one of the best mountains in the east, that's why we're heading up there.

gore's a bore and flatter than a 10 year old girl. :shock:

Jack the Ripper
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM

He pulled it straight from the brain hole.

jimmer
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM

gore's a bore and flatter than a 10 year old girl. :shock: come on down tuff guy well send you home like a beat dog, with a big smile on your face, allthough we dont have the nice steep long runs as wf weve got some kickass tree skiing that will test anybody:evil:

Phineas
02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
[quote=OhioSki8]

If you want to chase girls around (and who could blame you?) go to Florida on Spring break. If you want a kick arse ski experience come to WF.

HPD your experience makes U the wisest - as I read them posts on K-Mart I was thinking the same thing - 8-1 yep that is the ratio!! 8)

Phineas
02-23-2007, 10:36 AM

March 7-10 is World Cup Snowboard w/ big party planned in LP on Sat night - Place will be hoppin w/ many tourists and HotTs! March 23 -25 is SnowDown w/ Moe - last year we were overrun w/ groupies - total party scene

2) Northwoods Inn --- Is this a decent place? - sure it is - see others comments as well

3) Lift tickets good at both Gore and WF or are they seperate? Gore is an hour away mayB hit it on your way back... Decent hill w/ nice trees skiing but it does ski small

4) Any good bars in LP? - yep! Lisa Gs has most talented wait staff ;~) LP Pub is a great pub scene, ZigZags - late spot, Rumors - Late, Late spot Carribiean Cowboy good for eats and thier famous PainKillers (good start to your night)

WF is not wide its long! 3,430 feet – The greatest vertical drop in the east w/ 3,166 feet lift serviced so we make lack in acres but make up w/ sustained vertical! U will spend less time in liftlines and on lifts and more time making turns.

March is best month to ski WF! HPD's comment on K-Mart is right on - totally wrong balance when it comes to the chick ratio. Recall hanging in the Night Spot on the access road back in the day and looking round - I came to the realization mountain towns are not chick magnets... That said LP is real town w/ lots going on besides skiing so the ratio is much better.

THANKS

sleestak
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM

4) Any good bars in LP?

THANKS

best time for the chickies is during world cup snowboard march 7-11--they dont have to actually ski, they will be hanging around the 1/2 pipe. if you are looking for party scene, i would suggest you make your plans around that date. march 10 will be an awesome nightime 1/4 pipe big air party with 3000+ people all jamming into the main street bars after.

northwoods inn is cool and right on main street by the cool late night places--rumors and zig zags. would suggest there over hilton.

i think you have to buy a ticket at whiteface or buy at gore.

Whiteface has a lower number of trails than most resorts, but believe me, you wont notice. ditto what most aresaying on the forum.

sleestak
02-26-2007, 12:27 PM

because march is when the slides open. a few nice warm days make all the difference in the world. skiing slides in march is primo!