PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a resort village in NY/VT

OhioSki8
02-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Hi - I have reservations in LP but now I'm looking more towards something that has a village at the base of the mountain.

Can anyone suggest something like this in Vermont or NY?

I know Killington would be like this, but hard to find info for Stowe, Sugarbush, etc..

THANKS!

tjf67
02-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Go to Killington. Sounds like you are looking for a party as well as some decent skiing.
They have a crazy party scene. The terrain is OK if you can find it. I never can

If the slides are open and you miss them you will have missed a chance of a lifetime

Greg
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree. Based on your two threads - it sound like partying is at least as important as the skiing (not sure how that works, but I digress). If so, go to Killington. Check AZ for more info/advice.

tjf67
02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree. Based on your two threads - it sound like partying is at least as important as the skiing (not sure how that works, but I digress). If so, go to Killington. Check AZ for more info/advice.

So Greggy,
WHen are you going to get up the the face? You have never been here and I see you over in AZ talking about the different hills you have been on. Why dont you come up with drifter and let him show you around? You will be amazed.
Bring extra unserwear

Greg
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM

So Greggy,
WHen are you going to get up the the face? You have never been here and I see you over in AZ talking about the different hills you have been on. Why dont you come up with drifter and let him show you around? You will be amazed.
Bring extra unserwear
I want to. Trust me. WF will have to be an overnight. Tough to pull many of those off with two little ones at home. Gore is still in the cards as it's day-trippable...

tjf67
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM
You cant sell it as its part of the job. I hate leaving but I have to do it for the family livelyhood.
Gore is a great hill as well. Make sure you hit double barrell. That trail kicks ass

SKIdds
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Ohio.....if you are thinking in western terms regarding eastern resorts with a village at the base of the mountain you are probably going to be a little disappointed. Most eastern resorts are a short drive from the town or village they are located in. Yes, there will be tons of bars and restaurants along the access roads (ala Killington), but few resorts have a true village right at the base of the mountain.

Yes, most resorts will have their own slopeside hotel and condo "villages", but these do not a rockin village full o' babes make. Places like Stratton may have created their own little Tyrolean replica at the base of the mountain, but it isn't a real working and playing town or village like you are looking for. You aren't going to find a Breckenridge-like town at the base of a mountain where you can stay in lodging steps from the lifts and walk to all the hottest night spots. Think more like A-Basin. Great skiing a short drive from your hotel.

All that said, Killington is party central and I think they have a shuttle bus route that can get you to lots of place, but even there I don't think you'll be stumbling back to your room just steps away from the Wobbly Barn.
While it may not have a Killington like bar scene, Lake Placid is the best place to stay if you truely want a great village right outside your hotel door.

Adirondackskier
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
No developed base village could ever duplicate the village of Lake Placid. I am not a base village fan, I want to go to a real town with real people. Have you ever looked up to the second level of base villages? There is nothing there, it creeps me out.

ajl50
02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
It is true- all the villages try to replicate main street LP - none can.

highpeaksdrifter
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi - I have reservations in LP but now I'm looking more towards something that has a village at the base of the mountain.

I know Killington would be like this, but hard to find info for Stowe, Sugarbush, etc..

THANKS!

Killington doesn't have a village at it's base. Everything is spread out there and you have to drive everywhere you go.

The only place in the Northeast that has a village at it's base is Tremblant.

WF and LP are 9 miles apart, but it's a small price to pay for a superior overall experience.

Jack the Ripper
02-22-2007, 07:44 PM

THANKS!

I believe Kmart is the place for you. From the night life to the acreage its got what you need. Trail side condos. The whole 9.

Phineas
02-23-2007, 10:08 AM

THANKS!

Dont change plans - LP rocks - thier is shuttle service from all the hotels in LP and the skiing at WF this season is best in the east! Our snowtribe burried the mtn and we got major help from MoNat!! Stick to your plan - u will not be dissapointed

OhioSki8
02-24-2007, 08:01 AM
we actually decided to go to Killington because we got a great deal on hotel/skiing. It was actually the same price as whiteface, but it included an extra day/night.

We're more into the longer runs where we can screw aroudn, ski backwards, etc. That 6.3 mile run really intrigued us.

Whiteface is probably the tougher mountain, but I think we'd be bored with it after the first couple days. Not bored with the terrain, but bored in the sense that theres not much to do there.

Adirondackskier
02-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Dude.........super lame choice........we will see you next year at the big mountain! I am just saddened by your announcement, yikes.

sleestak
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
we actually decided to go to Killington because we got a great deal on hotel/skiing. It was actually the same price as whiteface, but it included an extra day/night.

We're more into the longer runs where we can screw aroudn, ski backwards, etc. That 6.3 mile run really intrigued us.

Whiteface is probably the tougher mountain, but I think we'd be bored with it after the first couple days. Not bored with the terrain, but bored in the sense that theres not much to do there.

big mistake! the only thing that killington has over lake placid is a major party scene. but Lake Placid has a more laid back party scene, better village and the skiing is far superior. thats funny that you say you think you'll be bored. Lake Placid gets rated #1 in off-hill activities by ski mag every year. we are the only stop this march in the US for word cup snowboard. if anything, I would have said to stay at stratton during their open snowboarding comp the following week after LP's world cup--but stratton = flaton is is a pretty boring ski. whatever, you are from ohio, so you will probably be happy anywhere. i just feel as though i wasted my time trying to give you good well thought out advise.

Weez
02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
As someone who has spent alot of time at Killington I decided to try LP and i am so happy i did. I can't say i totally agree with everyone that the skiing is "far superior" at Whiteface. I actually really like the skiing at Killington. I think the skiing is comparable. One thing I can say for sure though if your looking for a nice town/village then you will be severely disappointed with Killington. The whole atmosphere is completely different in LP then Killington but in a good way. I'll take LP over Killington every time.

NPN
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
As someone who has spent alot of time at Killington I decided to try LP and i am so happy i did. I can't say i totally agree with everyone that the skiing is "far superior" at Whiteface. I actually really like the skiing at Killington. I think the skiing is comparable. One thing I can say for sure though if your looking for a nice town/village then you will be severely disappointed with Killington. The whole atmosphere is completely different in LP then Killington but in a good way. I'll take LP over Killington every time.

I, as a long time lover of Whiteface, and hater or Killington, am very pleased to hear your input. I thank you for that perspective, but can't understand for an instant how you can begin to compare the two terrains as "comparable".

Please, unless you are a novice, try to argue your point.

Weez
02-27-2007, 07:42 PM

I, as a long time lover of Whiteface, and hater or Killington, am very pleased to hear your input. I thank you for that perspective, but can't understand for an instant how you can begin to compare the two terrains as "comparable".

Well I am by no means an expert skier. I primarily ski the intermediate trails with the occasional diamond, so I if that qualifies as a "Novice" then I guess I fit the bill. Both my kids are beginner/intermediate skiers and we like to spend alot of time on the longer runs. There are more options for the longer runs there. In my experience the top seems to get blown off far more often at WF then Killington. Now maybe thats unfair because my sampling is so limited at WF (2 long weekends 8 Days total) but alot of the upper intermediate trails became pretty icy every single day I was there so for the kids it became alot less enjoyable for them shortly after lunch, thats something that has happened far less for us at Killington.

Why is it the people on this board get so worked up when anyone compares anything to WF? WF is a great ski area and LP IMO is the best ski town in the Northeast but you guys need to really lighten up a little. It's funny, I've found the people in town and around the mountain to be far different then some of the people that post here.

NPN
02-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Well I am by no means an expert skier. I primarily ski the intermediate trails with the occasional diamond, so I if that qualifies as a "Novice" then I guess I fit the bill. Both my kids are beginner/intermediate skiers and we like to spend alot of time on the longer runs. There are more options for the longer runs there. In my experience the top seems to get blown off far more often at WF then Killington. Now maybe thats unfair because my sampling is so limited at WF (2 long weekends 8 Days total) but alot of the upper intermediate trails became pretty icy every single day I was there so for the kids it became alot less enjoyable for them shortly after lunch, thats something that has happened far less for us at Killington.

Why is it the people on this board get so worked up when anyone compares anything to WF? WF is a great ski area and LP IMO is the best ski town in the Northeast but you guys need to really lighten up a little. It's funny, I've found the people in town and around the mountain to be far different then some of the people that post here.

Now I understand.

I can only speak for myself, but, the reason I get, "so worked up" is that, for most people who appreciate sustained vertical pitch, Whiteface is one of a very few places in the East that offer just that. I got spoiled by working a season at Snowbird right out of college, and can't tolerate the typical pitch, and roll out that is the norm at most Eastern ski areas.