PDA

View Full Version : The wink and nod.. How do YOU get on the lift?

harrycanyon
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
If funds are tight, or you only have intentions to take a lap or two to stretch the legs but don't want to spend the 60+ bucks to do so, what's your method for accessing the lifts? Gifts to the liftie(s)? Bum rush the ticket checker with others who have paid? Maybe some of you are hesitant to post about this, I know it's kinda taboo...But.. It may make for better conversation than steering out of towners to K-mart :wink:

Glad to see some leftovers from the 'ol RSN days!!

Cheers!

highpeaksdrifter
02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
If funds are tight, or you only have intentions to take a lap or two to stretch the legs but don't want to spend the 60+ bucks to do so, what's your method for accessing the lifts? Gifts to the liftie(s)? Bum rush the ticket checker with others who have paid? Maybe some of you are hesitant to post about this, I know it's kinda taboo...But.. It may make for better conversation than steering out of towners to K-mart :wink:

Glad to see some leftovers from the 'ol RSN days!!

Cheers!

It's kinda taboo? I would never do it because I'm not a thief. I don't know what you do for a living, but if you where a business owner how would you feel about someone stealing what you sell?

harrycanyon
02-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I didn't ask this question to exploit weaknesses in the system, but rather to share experiences others have had when desperate times have called for desperate measures.

No, I am not a thief, thanks for insinuating, but there are many who do this regularly, and given the mostly anonymous nature of this and other forums I thought it a relavant question to ask.

highpeaksdrifter
02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I didn't ask this question to exploit weaknesses in the system, but rather to share experiences others have had when desperate times have called for desperate measures.

No, I am not a thief, thanks for insinuating, but there are many who do this regularly, and given the mostly anonymous nature of this and other forums I thought it a relavant question to ask.

OK, you don't do it, but you want to hear from others who do. As far as my reply, it's my honest opinion. When a person takes something that doesn't belong to them without paying for it that person is by definiation a thief. You can spin it any way you want.

I think it's a relavant question too. I'm glad you asked it and hope it's the start of an interesting thread.

I'm going to take my kids to the movies now and try to sneak in. Then after that maybe Friendly's and take off without paying the check. Then I'll fill up the tank for my drive to WF tomorrow and drive away without paying. All in all I'll save over $100 which will completely change my lifestyle. My kids will be proud.

Adirondackskier
02-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Whiteface knows everything that happens at the lifts. All passes are scanned. Lost tickets reported are voided in the system and will come up lost or stolen. I heard someone bought a tix in the parking lot for $40 then went to use it and it had been reported lost. The dude was scammed. Unfortunately theft of services industry wide are part of the reason for the rising costs and also part of the reason most resorts scan.

It isn't cool to steal. Don't even try it you will be busted. There are plenty of promotions out there to ski cheap. Friday afternoons for the rest of the season are only 25 bucks after 12:30.

I agree with highpeaksdrifter.

Face4Me
02-23-2007, 09:05 PM
It's one thing if you're talking about heading out to the mountain with the intent to buy a ticket and ski (or ride). As we all know, sometimes the conditions on the hill don't meet our expectations, and it would be nice to be able to buy a ticket, take a run to check out the conditions, and then make a decision as to whether to stick it out or get a refund if conditions aren't up to snuff.

I believe that a lot of mountains have just this sort of policy, i.e., if you return your ticket within ?? minutes of purchase, you can get a refund. I'm not sure whether Whiteface does or not. Perhaps someone else could provide some input on whether WF has such a policy or not.

On the other hand, if you're intent is simply to go out and take a run or two, with no intention of "paying" for it, I agree with the other posts ... you're stealing. If you just want to take a run for free, then earn it ... go out to one of the other mountains, hike it up and ride it down. It's free, legal and you'll probably feel a lot better about yourself at the end of the day!

MidnightCarving
02-23-2007, 11:34 PM
i dunno guys..

i bought my seasons pass so i'd never have this problem, but if i didnt have a pass.... lets face it, some days it's just rediculous, earlier in the season when it was full price for.. 2 trails?! i mean granted, they have to make money too, but its absurd to pay full price for 1/35th the trails, now im not saying when the conditions are crappy they should make the ticket price 1/35 of the full rate, but they need to knock it down at least somewhat, and while you may argue that they have to staff, run lifts, grooming crews.. etc, but in reality, they dont, if they have 1 trail, its not like they need the entire patrol staff, they only need to power 1 lift, 2-3 lifties, and they still charge full price.

personally i think if you have the nerve to straight up evade the scanner, then you are a theif, but i see absolutely nothing wrong with coming lat e and buying a ticket off somebody leaving.

What bothers me the most (this is more of a gore related issue) is when they close the summit (high peaks) chair during the week, this is outrageous, that people are paying full price, and not even getting everything that is fit to ski!

i just think that they are being a little greedy alot of the time, i mean, think about half day tickets... they certainly aren't half price.

Point'em Down
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM
i dunno guys..

...i see absolutely nothing wrong with coming lat e and buying a ticket off somebody leaving...

ice.

Morals check is in order here

mikeharo
02-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Get to know a certain facelift liftie well - really good peron

edited to delete name to protect said liftie

Adirondackskier
02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
On foul weather days Whiteface does have a One Run $14.00 policy. It gets you access to Gondola or facelift. Take one ride if you are not psyched then you walk away, if you want to continue you can upgrade to a full day.

As for the 1/35th I have said it before and I will say it again. When I was a kid my family would go to amusement parks. sometimes the weather sucked and many rides were closed. Amusement park did not discount as they do not control the weather. The discount was that there were no lines for the rides. I believe the same holds true for skiing and riding.

AdironRider
02-24-2007, 11:50 AM
OK for one, Whiteface had discounted tickets early season when they didnt have the majority of their terrain open so I dont get the whole paying full price for two runs argument. The half day ticket doesnt cost half price because is it really a half day of skiing? 99.9 % of skiers dont ski from open to close, hell Ive only done that a few times in my life. Ill admit, when Im at other mtns I have bought tickets off people who were leaving, but only one or two times. I dont feel so bad if he paid full price and left early, its no different for the mtn. If anything theyre going to make a few extra bucks off me in booze, food, and other crap.

But just blatantly trying to steal off the mtn is pretty messed up, although it can easily, very easily in fact, be done.

Phineas
02-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Get to know a certain facelift liftie well - really good peron

edited to delete name to protect said liftie

implicate all the decent, hard working employees just so U look "cool"

thief

and big deal your FIS points were all under 100 - U and thousands of others....

mikeharo
02-26-2007, 11:41 AM
You are so tough and scary on an online forum. You attacked the information I provided to prove a point at what purpose?

The question in this thread was how to hop on the lift with no ticket.

sleestak
02-26-2007, 12:43 PM
OK for one, Whiteface had discounted tickets early season when they didnt have the majority of their terrain open so I dont get the whole paying full price for two runs argument. The half day ticket doesnt cost half price because is it really a half day of skiing? 99.9 % of skiers dont ski from open to close, hell Ive only done that a few times in my life. Ill admit, when Im at other mtns I have bought tickets off people who were leaving, but only one or two times. I dont feel so bad if he paid full price and left early, its no different for the mtn. If anything theyre going to make a few extra bucks off me in booze, food, and other crap.

But just blatantly trying to steal off the mtn is pretty messed up, although it can easily, very easily in fact, be done.

well said!~

half day lift ticket is great--12:30-4--more than most people ski in a whole day and most of the crowd has thinned out.

tjf67
02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
You are so tough and scary on an online forum. You attacked the information I provided to prove a point at what purpose?

The question in this thread was how to hop on the lift with no ticket.
The correct answer is I DO NOT DO THAT

harrycanyon
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
HPDrifter and others on this board:

I think your replies have certainly provoked thought into this, not to mention tempers over who claims the moral high ground. Maybe you didn't like the way I originally worded the thread here, but for its intents and purposes, it HAS sparked a relevant conversation. Don't hate me for that.

As for the non season pass holders or those who don't work for WF/Gore who are out there reading this, whom of those among us have been approached by a stranger in a resort or ski area's parking lot by someone willing to sell you their lift ticket, or better yet, a valid voucher for less than what you'd spend at the ticket window. Are you thinking about the viability of the resort or having some extra cash left over for some grub and a brew afterwards or just saving a few extra bucks?

We should all be grateful to live in an area that offers so many different options and destinations for us to play in the snow. Most of these areas and resorts compete with one another in boasting about who has the most gladed terrain or newest detachable quad, but little of these competitions equate into benefits at the consumer level the way they do along say, the I70 corridor. And as such, I thought about what a typical area college kid who loves the sport but lacks the funds would do in such circumstances. Desperate times DO indeed call for desperate measures for these people and others and as such I was interested to hear what people do when they can't afford to not scratch that powder itch yet find themselves trolling in the parking lots or doing other nefarious things to take some turns.

NPN
02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
HPDrifter and others on this board:

I think your replies have certainly provoked thought into this, not to mention tempers over who claims the moral high ground. Maybe you didn't like the way I originally worded the thread here, but for its intents and purposes, it HAS sparked a relevant conversation. Don't hate me for that.

As for the non season pass holders or those who don't work for WF/Gore who are out there reading this, whom of those among us have been approached by a stranger in a resort or ski area's parking lot by someone willing to sell you their lift ticket, or better yet, a valid voucher for less than what you'd spend at the ticket window. Are you thinking about the viability of the resort or having some extra cash left over for some grub and a brew afterwards or just saving a few extra bucks?

We should all be grateful to live in an area that offers so many different options and destinations for us to play in the snow. Most of these areas and resorts compete with one another in boasting about who has the most gladed terrain or newest detachable quad, but little of these competitions equate into benefits at the consumer level the way they do along say, the I70 corridor. And as such, I thought about what a typical area college kid who loves the sport but lacks the funds would do in such circumstances. Desperate times DO indeed call for desperate measures for these people and others and as such I was interested to hear what people do when they can't afford to not scratch that powder itch yet find themselves trolling in the parking lots or doing other nefarious things to take some turns.

Student pass deals are, and have always been the cheapest way to get out on the hill ( other than being under six, or over seventy ). If you can't afford to get out there at those prices then you definitely have to seriously rethink your personal budgeting skill, and priorities.

Face4Me
02-26-2007, 03:35 PM

I'd say there's a difference between purchasing a valid, unused ticket or voucher from someone else who's already paid the appropriate price for it, then flat-out riding the lifts for free, or buying a used ticket from someone else who has already used it for part of the day. The point of the lift ticket is to provide access for one person, for one day (obviously multi-day tickets are intended for one person for several days use.) There are times when for one reason or another, someone may wind up with an "extra" ticket, and they are just trying to cut their losses. In these cases, the mountain has already received it's expected payment. Of course, if you sell the ticket at a premium over what you paid for it, now you're into the realm of ticket scalping.

Not quite sure what your point is here, but again, the bottom line is that you can justify it any way you want to, but taking something without paying for it is stealing. Would you consider getting into a taxi, taking a ride and then bolting out the door before you pay stealing? If so, how is that any different than riding a chairlift without paying?

I understand your point - skiing is an expensive sport, and for many, particularly college students I suppose, it's hard to afford it. I think most mountains do make efforts to make things more affordable for students, you just have to look for the best deals and take advantage of them. Good luck earning your turns!

Lbtchnlgs
02-26-2007, 08:29 PM
I say do what you can to get on the lift, especially if it's only for a run or two. It'd be hard to do at Gore, not sure about whiteface. Not everyone is living the american dream and able to throw 50-60 bucks down for some bad skiing.

I think the another good question would be what is everyone income range? If your making good money of course you will be one of the people saying to buy a ticket and bragging that you have good morals because money is not an issue to you and its easy to look like a good person.

Not saying that i dont pay for lift tickets, but im a college student and funds are very tight, i do not see a problem in grabbing a few free runs, you think the ASC monopoly cannot afford the 100 or so people that cheat them each month?

oldskibum
02-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Basically, as others have said, if I can't afford something, I don't buy it no matter how much I want it, or I'll save myhard earned cash to buy it. I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER STEALING IT!!!!! Get a job or an education, (or both) so you can afford the life style you would like!

Phineas
02-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I say do what you can to get on the lift

- mayB like get a summer job so U can afford the $289.00 student season pass for WF?? Or volunteer at one of the many ORDA events through out the season and earn vouchers for ski passes? Or join the Host Patrol and hang in the lot for an hour in the morning helping w/ parking and earn a season pass???

Not saying that i dont pay for lift tickets, but im a college student and funds are very tight, i do not see a problem in grabbing a few free runs, you think the ASC monopoly cannot afford the 100 or so people that cheat them each month

ASC is selling off resorts to stave off bankruptcy and this is not ASC! WF has an expensive expansion plan approved that all of us paying customers want completed so go cut some grass, paint some houses or landscape this summer to earn cash. $289.00 is not alot of money - U probably have 10 times that invested in GameBoy :twisted:

MidnightCarving
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
well i dont know about you guys, but i know that every time i'm out there, i ski until at least 3, and most of the time i ski right up and catch the last lift as their closing it off...

its a waste of money not to. (if the weather is crappy i'll only go until 12, but thats cuz i have a seasons pass, whenever i go somewhere else i'm much more strict on it becuase i'm paying full price for the day)

MidnightCarving
02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
and another thing to those who thing i'm a theif for buying people's tickets in the lot

i have hiked whiteface when i couldnt afford it last year. (needless to say, i only got 1 run in because i was out of shape.. lol)

SKIdds
02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey....I bet hiking Whiteface also serves to make you a theif. ;) Really, when you buy a ticket you are buying more than lift service. You are buying patrol services, grooming, snowmaking, facilities services, etc., etc., etc. So if you end up skiing any manmade groomed, and/or require patrol assistance, or sit in the lodge or take a leak in the crapper.......well, you've stolen those services.

That said, it is time I gave my best Clintonesque avoidance of the subject at hand. I DID NOT have se......er, steal mountain services. Oh, but I may have bought or sold a NONTRANSFERRABLE lift ticket in the parking lot.......ummmm......but I don't really recall

I see no problem with buying or selling a voucher in the lot.....A used ticket? While against the rules that's a moral issue with a different shade o' gray. I do think boarding a lift sans any kind of lift ticket is reprehensible. If I no afford-ee a tick-ee, me no ski-ee.

asland
02-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying that I ever snuck on the lift...

but everyone tries to catch a break somehow. Maybe you "cheat just a little" on your taxes, maybe you exploit that loophole, maybe you drive faster than the speed limit, maybe you had one beer to many and then drove, maybe you skied a little to fast in the family friendly zone, maybe you put a dollar instead of five into the poor box.. Each one of these little cheats is taking away from someone. They could all be considered some kind of theft or wrong doing but most people do these little things in one form or another.

So, to hear all this holier than though bull from people ranking on the poster of this thread is ridiculous.

All I'm asking is that you look in the mirror before hopping all over someone else.

SKIdds
02-27-2007, 02:03 PM
True, almost everyone breaks a law in some way, shape or form.......more frequently than any of us would like to admit. Is driving 66 in a 65 any less "illegal" than driving 106 in that same 65? Technically they are both illegal. Is taking advantage of a questionable loophole or overstating a deduction on your taxes any less "illegal" than outright tax evasion or not filing? Technically those are both illegal, too. Is the petty criminal who nibbles around the egdes any less a scourge on society than the muderous felon? Perhaps not. Who's to judge?

Well, society and the law have judged in a way. They can throw you in jail for recless driving in excess of the speed limit, or evading your taxes, or mudering someone.......whilst you aren't likely to get a ticket for driving 66, face only minor penalties and interest if you get caught fudging a number on your taxes, and probably won't get put "in the system" for pilfering a pack of gum at the local five and dime. Guilty all, but some commit greater offenses that are deemed more harmful. So it isn't necessarily holier than thou moral high ground, it's more about dabbling in the shades of gray.

I think sneaking on the lift without a ticket is more harmful than paying a guy in the lot $20 at 12:30 for the ticket he's done using for the day. They are both wrong, but one seems to me like driving 66 while the other seems like 106. Hey, I have to admit my opinion is both arbitrary and capricious, so who am I to say?

All the BS aside, for many it's all about what you can do without getting caught. While it isn't a shade of gray I'd tend toward anyway, I wouldn't want to attempt the lifts without a ticket because you are more likely than not to get caught.

Lbtchnlgs
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I say do what you can to get on the lift

- mayB like get a summer job so U can afford the $289.00 student season pass for WF?? Or volunteer at one of the many ORDA events through out the season and earn vouchers for ski passes? Or join the Host Patrol and hang in the lot for an hour in the morning helping w/ parking and earn a season pass???

Not saying that i dont pay for lift tickets, but im a college student and funds are very tight, i do not see a problem in grabbing a few free runs, you think the ASC monopoly cannot afford the 100 or so people that cheat them each month

ASC is selling off resorts to stave off bankruptcy and this is not ASC! WF has an expensive expansion plan approved that all of us paying customers want completed so go cut some grass, paint some houses or landscape this summer to earn cash. $289.00 is not alot of money - U probably have 10 times that invested in GameBoy :twisted:

I guess you are right. You are so much better than me and i am sure when you were younger you did nothing wrong and, you have obviously never cut corners or bent the rules for your own benefit.

I have been working since i was 13 maybe even 12. I did not say that I hop lifts, because i dont. I have bought my own season passes for the past 5-6 seasons. Since i started snowboarding i have always bought my own everything so dont pull this 'get a job punk' scheme.

All i posted was how i felt about it, not meaning that i do it; though i wish i had the balls to do it.

get off your high horse

ps- nobody plays game boy, its psp- fool.

tjf67
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
IS JUST GAY.

Jack the Ripper
02-27-2007, 07:32 PM
IS JUST GAY. :shock:

Faceplant
03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Bring (or buy at the mt) a can of coke on wed and its BOGO.

Denison
03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I theory, on a bad day one could get $14 one-run ticket, get to upper mountain and ski it whole day.

frashdog
03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Hike up to mid and stay on upper lifts, yer all set. Can't ever remember getting scanned up there. In late spring even the scanners get lazy at the bottom. I know many people who ski free in spring. Especially mid week.

BTW for the I've never broken the law liars, I have had a seasons pass for the last 8 years.

colonel klink
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
def not stealing, im all for it, never done it cuz i have a pass by would do it if i needed to

colonel klink
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
im a straight dirtbag though. i am the scum of the earth or so the lady who runs the gondi at gore told me