PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Slide Guide

takeahike46er
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I recently ordered the Adirondack Slide Guide by Drew Haas. Anyone else pick this up? I know of most of the slides, but the pictures will give me something to drool over. Check out www.dacksdescents.com for info and his blog. Drew did a piece recently on the Dix slides that intercept the trail from round pond.

Phineas
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
fingercrossX for Friday's event - come really set slides up!

sleestak
02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I recently ordered the Adirondack Slide Guide by Drew Haas. Anyone else pick this up? I know of most of the slides, but the pictures will give me something to drool over. Check out www.dacksdescents.com for info and his blog. Drew did a piece recently on the Dix slides that intercept the trail from round pond.

I have it---i wish that there were more of a description or photos of someone actully skiing each slide, rather than just the aerial photo. I was a little disappointed.

tjf67
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM

I have it---i wish that there were more of a description or photos of someone actully skiing each slide, rather than just the aerial photo. I was a little disappointed.

I looked at it in EMS and thought the same thing. May be an idea how to get to them or some sort of narrative would have been enjoyable.
I am not a big fan of reading but really

sleestak
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM

I looked at it in EMS and thought the same thing. May be an idea how to get to them or some sort of narrative would have been enjoyable.
I am not a big fan of reading but really

really - dont call it a "slide guide", call it an "just an aerial pictorial of the slides with no other info for dummies" or something, just so it doesnt mislead.

takeahike46er
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I didn't necessarily need directions, but it would be nice to have some more info accompanying the pics. For example-- slide length, pitch, and amount of vegetation present.

Calling it a slide guide is a bit of an overstatement. But I respect the sparcity of information because it leaves it up to the reader to explore, rather than saying “Gothic's True North Slide is the bomb” and everyone goes and skiis the hell out of it.

Jack the Ripper
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM

Where's the mod? This should be in Misc. For shame Greg. For shame. :twisted:

takeahike46er
02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
There are pics of the slides @ WF :lol:

laseranimal
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
lets see here

this

http://neice.com/store/graphics/00000002/SlideGuide.jpg

+

this

http://neice.com/store/graphics/00000002/ADK_Guide_High_Peaks.jpg

is all you really need for info, with those two resources you should EASILY be able to figure out slide length, pitch, and how to get there

if you can't

well, maybe you should question whether you should be out there in the first place :D

sleestak
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
lets see here

this

http://neice.com/store/graphics/00000002/SlideGuide.jpg

+

this

http://neice.com/store/graphics/00000002/ADK_Guide_High_Peaks.jpg

is all you really need for info, with those two resources you should EASILY be able to figure out slide length, pitch, and how to get there

if you can't

well, maybe you should question whether you should be out there in the first place :D

I dont think anyone is saying they cant find the trails. the point was that calling it a "guide" is misleading. It would have been a better book had there been some pictures in it of people skiing the slides or something. a guide is a guide, this book is a aerial picture book.

frashdog
03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
It's probably better he did not put in any descriptions, many people (old schoolers) are pretty pissed (or at least not impressed)with that book, let alone the other photos with descriptions (Adirondack Life).

Sure everyone has a right to ski there too right? But for some, this is like telling people where the best fishing spot is. It all does not make sense cause skiers like powder right and how would you feel if for years you were able to go and get fresh tracks in drainages no one was ever aware of, other than locals. Hold on, actually it makes lots of sense. Drew and buds are "wanna make a name" guides. Don't think Drew and crew are pioneers or something, it's all been done. Probably on leathers and skinnies years ago when Drew was in kindergarden. Drew seems to be one of the first to care more about his ego than the respect of the local ski community.

Phineas
03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
"I skied them there slides on my leathers and skinnies so no one else should be allowed but us 70 burn outs cause we did it first"! Please w/ that!!

wait till I work my magic and get TRPs approved for proposed heli-slide company! We be gettin dropped off on top - lockNload and chow up that powder on you anicent hippies!

:twisted: :twisted:

tjf67
03-07-2007, 10:36 AM
It's probably better he did not put in any descriptions, many people (old schoolers) are pretty pissed (or at least not impressed)with that book, let alone the other photos with descriptions (Adirondack Life).

Sure everyone has a right to ski there too right? But for some, this is like telling people where the best fishing spot is. It all does not make sense cause skiers like powder right and how would you feel if for years you were able to go and get fresh tracks in drainages no one was ever aware of, other than locals. Hold on, actually it makes lots of sense. Drew and buds are "wanna make a name" guides. Don't think Drew and crew are pioneers or something, it's all been done. Probably on leathers and skinnies years ago when Drew was in kindergarden. Drew seems to be one of the first to care more about his ego than the respect of the local ski community.
Knowing about them and actually skiing them are two different things. I am not climbing any back country hills to ski down a chute so I can sit around and brag with my friends that I did it. Most of the time the conditions suck anyways. Its not like a fishing hole. You dont have to work to get to a fishing hole. You should print up some signs private property for old schoolers and put them around so you and your crusties are all by your lonesome.

frashdog
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
"I skied them there slides on my leathers and skinnies so no one else should be allowed but us 70 burn outs cause we did it first"! Please w/ that!!

wait till I work my magic and get TRPs approved for proposed heli-slide company! We be gettin dropped off on top - lockNload and chow up that powder on you anicent hippies!
That is funny, in an nice ignorant way. Though, it is not really any bit representative of the general bc community's consensus on the topic. Of course, being unaware of what goes on in the backcountry here you probably are not very up on lowdown homey. See you got to realize all kinds like the pow stashes, mostly they like the pow stashes! Then there are some (really not pickin anyone inparticular here)who like to use it to inflate their ego's with it way more than others. They gladly blab about it to anyone. Now fresh pow stashes like we've known in the past is becomming less and less due to the increased traffic. The new folks think that's how it is. For people like me, I stopped stressen over the whole deal a few years ago, it has pushed me to explore and find so much new terrain I can't complain about anything other that not enough ski time.

Let it be known Drew and Crew are not bad people, actually I'm sure they are great people. Many are probably just envious of what they do. The conflict comes from the fact that they can make money out of poaching yer stashes.

Peace

Quinn the Eskimo
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Drew is a very dedicated and talented photographer who probably does indeed want to " make a name " for himself. I must admit that I know very little about either buisness or photography however I think it would follow that if you want to be sucessful especially in either of these endeavors you need to get your material published. To that end Drew has been somewhat sucessful and should be commended not trash talked. How can you fault anyone for " taking the bull by the horns?" Granted the subject material is somewhat locally controversial (some) " old schoolers " who want to keep state land for thier own private enjoyment versus " the intruders " people like Drew and many, many, many others who just like the " old schoolers" love to earn their turns and ski off piste in beautiful locations. I am pretty sure that Drew labored for at least two years as to how to best bring forth this publication without upsetting the local ski community. In the end perhaps he purposefully decided to leave a lot of information out and maybe he did this out of respect to the local skiing community. This is in keeping with " the figure it out for yourself" Adirondack tradition.

I am sorry that Frashdog feels the way he or she does and if you take a moment to look at the world through this persons lens he or she has an arguably legitimate reason to be a little upset. It's great to have your tracks be the first ones on a slide, brook, or glade. Especially if you have put some work into keeping the descent clean ( ie: remove blowdown, etc)
and people are scooping what you thought to be a private powder stash before you do. Frashdog a possible solution to your problem would be to get to these locations a little earlier. Maybe an alpine start?

Last time I checked the maps the majority of the Adirondack Park was still state owned. It's March 7th 2007, blue sky, wicked cold, with two feet of snow right out my window. The park is over six million acres, needless to say I think there is enough snow to make everyone happy. Get out there and enjoy it because pretty soon its going to get warm again.

Phineas
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
[quote]"The conflict comes from the fact that they can make money out of poaching yer stashes.

Peace

See that is where the conflict comes - when people start thinking forest preserve is private stashes....

And I agree w/ U that people are envious of those who choose the lifestyle that gets them paid for playing in the woods - but hey nothing is stoppin anyone from pursuing that...

Peace and Love homey!

sleestak
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM

sorry homey - we arent back in the day of land claims. it isnt yours because you skied it a few years before someone else did. there is enough for everyone. old schoolers shouldnt be pissed--the book isnt going to make anyone run out there that wasnt going to before anyway. that was the point of this thread--it isnt a guide.

frashdog
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I am sorry that Frashdog feels the way he or she does and if you take a moment to look at the world through this persons lens he or she has an arguably legitimate reason to be a little upset. It's great to have your tracks be the first ones on a slide, brook, or glade. Especially if you have put some work into keeping the descent clean ( ie: remove blowdown, etc)
and people are scooping what you thought to be a private powder stash before you do. Frashdog a possible solution to your problem would be to get to these locations a little earlier. Maybe an alpine start?

Frashdog is very happy for Drew and his Slide Book, well done. I bought one and was impressed. No problems with me, just stating some opinions that are out there on this slide picture book. Even though I know many, by no means am I a powder nazi or old schooler. I gots too many stashes to fret. Just not enough time.

freeheelwilly
03-07-2007, 05:47 PM
"I skied them there slides on my leathers and skinnies so no one else should be allowed but us 70 burn outs cause we did it first"!

:lol: :lol:

frashdog
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
sorry homey - we arent back in the day of land claims. it isnt yours because you skied it a few years before someone else did. that does seem to be a general theme, not one I'm part of. I will tell you, some peeps put down some mighty time and effort scouting and yes some do a bit of "dead wood pruning" or "sustainable forest managment practices". So while they do not own it they do have some feeling of ownership to the spot. Now you bring just two people there, they like it so much they bring two people there and so on, soon it's time to move on.

Tsavolion
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
"I skied them there slides on my leathers and skinnies so no one else should be allowed but us 70 burn outs cause we did it first"!

:lol: :lol:

thats it - you say paper and throw around a couple smiley faces and call it a day? what did the utah ele do to your noggin?