PDA

View Full Version : Tree Island POD is for real

Phineas
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Yesterday the ORDA board passed resolutions for ORDA to seek all available funding options for the WF expansion. W/ commitment from Gov Spitzer to expand tourism economy in the North Country I betcha cutting will commence this spring -

No doubt about it; we'll be skiing new terrain in less than two seasons!!! 8)

I'm gonna be first down!! mayB not the official first down but them new trials will be assessable from toll road!!!

New expansion is sick!! SuperDackie! W/ the focus on trail expansion and not silly fake European look alike base villages WF is gonna have the most and varied terrain on da East Coast!!!! WF Rules!!! I love NY!!! :D :lol:

AdironRider
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
The new terrain does indeed look pretty sick, but they wont have the most terrain. Killington, Okemo and all those other trash places will have MORE terrain, but it certainly wont be as good...

I was talking to a couple guys on the mtn yesterday and they were all pretty stoked. They said that patrol would probably be willing to open up the trails next winter once they are cut for "earn your turns" type stuff. Should be pretty once all the in bounds pow is gone.

So bummed this is my last season as a Whiteface regular (second semester senior in college). Definately am going to have to make my way back in a couple years to check all this new stuff out!

highpeaksdrifter
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Yesterday the ORDA board passed resolutions for ORDA to seek all available funding options for the WF expansion. W/ commitment from Gov Spitzer to expand tourism economy in the North Country I betcha cutting will commence this spring -No doubt about it; we'll be skiing new terrain in less than two seasons!!! 8)

I'm gonna be first down!! mayB not the official first down but them new trials will be assessable from toll road!!!

New expansion is sick!! SuperDackie! W/ the focus on trail expansion and not silly fake European look alike base villages WF is gonna have the most and varied terrain on da East Coast!!!! WF Rules!!! I love NY!!! :D :lol:

That's great news, but I thought cutting couldn't take place until Aug. 1st because of the nesting og the Bicknel Trush.

Face4Me
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Yesterday the ORDA board passed resolutions for ORDA to seek all available funding options for the WF expansion. W/ commitment from Gov Spitzer to expand tourism economy in the North Country I betcha cutting will commence this spring -

No doubt about it; we'll be skiing new terrain in less than two seasons!!!

New expansion is sick!! SuperDackie! W/ the focus on trail expansion and not silly fake European look alike base villages WF is gonna have the most and varied terrain on da East Coast!!!! WF Rules!!! I love NY!!!
Agreed ... this is great news ...

The proposed expansion trails look really nice ... from what I can tell from the map, unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like one of the proposed trails will be a 2 mile cruiser, covering about 2300 feet of vertical ... that should be a really nice way to spend the afternoon!!!

highpeaksdrifter
02-28-2007, 11:52 AM

No doubt about it; we'll be skiing new terrain in less than two seasons!!!

New expansion is sick!! SuperDackie! W/ the focus on trail expansion and not silly fake European look alike base villages WF is gonna have the most and varied terrain on da East Coast!!!! WF Rules!!! I love NY!!!
Agreed ... this is great news ...

The proposed expansion trails look really nice ... from what I can tell from the map, unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like one of the proposed trails will be a 2 mile cruiser, covering about 2300 feet of vertical ... that should be a really nice way to spend the afternoon!!!

I heard that is the first one they are cutting.

Phineas
02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
That's great news, but I thought cutting couldn't take place until Aug. 1st because of the nesting og the Bicknel Trush.

only cutting above 2800 feet can't start till Aug 1 - bottom up approach brother!!

Everyone should write the Gov's Office and describe the positive economic effects trail expansion will have on the north country. After the gondi went skier visits went up and stayed up.. the ripple effect of a new ridge to ski on will be huge for ADKs!

Gov Spitzer committed during campaign to expansion of tourism in ADKS. The plan was approved by both APA and DEC and just needs funding to move forward!!

:lol: :lol:

sleestak
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM

only cutting above 2800 feet can't start till Aug 1 - bottom up approach brother!!

Everyone should write the Gov's Office and describe the positive economic effects trail expansion will have on the north country. After the gondi went skier visits went up and stayed up.. the ripple effect of a new ridge to ski on will be huge for ADKs!

Gov Spitzer committed during campaign to expansion of tourism in ADKS. The plan was approved by both APA and DEC and just needs funding to move forward!!

:lol: :lol:

why dont you draft a letter for our signature?

harrycanyon
02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I've looked at the POD and of course stared at the wall they're looking to carve these trails into from Lift 6, but I'm left wondering... Is this IT for expansion at Whiteface? Will there be any other expansion options remaining afterwards, and if so, where?

Other than that, I've always thought the snows that blow off the slides, Skyward and Cloudspin ended up on that side of the mtn....Can't wait to start looking for new powder stashes in there and basically having another huge playground to enjoy! I just hope it happens...

takeahike46er
02-28-2007, 11:11 PM
After Tree Island Pod, future expansion is unlikely due a 25 mile limit in the state constitution. This expansion will bring the total mileage slightly below 25. Unless the constitution is amended, future trails could only be cut if trails were abandoned and revegetated.

The two expert runs could end up being sick. Based on topos, they might end up having the steepest pitches on the mountain.

This pod will also give much easier access to the toll road as well an additional slide.

OhioSki8
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
How can you call Killington trash?

highpeaksdrifter
03-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Come on guys, lets not go down this juvenile path. Ohio I hope you have a great time at Killington. It’s not my cup of tea, but lot’s of people like it.

Phineas
03-01-2007, 09:48 AM

any hill w/ trails to slide on is awesome in my book. The Big K will offer U some good times 4sure. Check out the Outback for wood fired pizzia! It used to be located in the same building called the "Nightspot" - was in back - remember chowin down a whole pie after the Thudner and Lightin mtn bike race a bunch of summers ago...

AdironRider
03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I guess after no lift lines, no runouts or many crossovers here at Whiteface, Ive grown to think of Killington as trash. But your right, any ski hill is good in my book.

Faceplant
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Wilco. Give us an address, snail or e.

Jack the Ripper
03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Yesterday the ORDA board passed resolutions for ORDA to seek all available funding options for the WF expansion. W/ commitment from Gov Spitzer to expand tourism economy in the North Country I betcha cutting will commence this spring -No doubt about it; we'll be skiing new terrain in less than two seasons!!! 8)

That little b1tch went the way of the do-do. HAS ANYONE SEEN IT!!!! :shock: :twisted:

Jack the Ripper
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Easy. IT'S TRASH. See. No problem. :twisted: