PDA

View Full Version : Average trail length at whiteface?

OhioSki8
03-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Wondering what the average length was....i.e. - how long does it take to get down the mountain at a fairly average speed?

What's the longest trail?

One of our reasons for picking Killington was the longer trails.

Weez
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Wondering what the average length was....i.e. - how long does it take to get down the mountain at a fairly average speed?

Depends on your ability but if your not racing down the hill and just skiing comfortably the gondola run is roughly 10 minutes and the Summit quad maybe an additional 5 to 10.

SKIdds
03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
It's hard to look at Whiteface that way. They don't have any single 2.5 mile cruiser or anything like that. With the games most mountains play with number of trails and such I bet they can all lay claim to beating Whiteface in any measurement you choose.

But that doesn't really tell you a whole lot about the mountain. As people have tried to tell you, Whiteface has sustained vertical that other mountains just can't match, including K Mart. Put together a run from the summit on Parons, to Excelsior, to Upper and Lower Vallley and you have yourself 2.7 miles of non-stop, lactic acid building, burn your thighs intermediate vertical.

You can do laps on the Summit Quad and Upper and Lower Cloudspin gets you a mile of sustained pitch, Upper and Lower Skyward gets you a little less than a mile. Again, that's straight down the fall line, sustained pitch skiing. But again.......Take Upper and Lower Skyward and continue to run all the way to the bottom the way the Olympic downhillers did and you've got 2 miles of sustained vert that can test anyone's mettle.

Top to bottom nonstop, we're talking ski fast but in control, it can be done by an expert skier in four to five minutes. That's some serious skiing that most people probably won't be able to handle. Not an intermediate in the world that has the thighs to handle that. Your average intermediate skier going summit to gondi I'd guess would take AT LEAST 10 to 15 minutes with requisite stops to rest the legs and enjoy the views. No traverses. No runouts. No moving from lift to lift. Just 10 plus minutes of true top to bottom turns.

Oh, and speaking of the gondi......when you get to the bottom it's a sheltered ride waiting just for you, and lines just don't exist at Whiteface.

If glades are your thing link Cloudsplitter to 10th Mtn Division to High Country and you've got more than a half a mile of nonstop trees.

Page 84 of the Unit Management Plan http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf lists every trail with it's length and acreage.

Killington has a lot to offer. If you want to ski bumps you are much better off there. But the place is spread out and cut up, and doesn't provide the same kind of top to bottom skiing that Whiteface offers. So try not to get caught up on trail count and mileage, beacuse that only tells a small part of the story.

Skiing Whiteface and staying in LP means great top to bottom skiing where you'll probably rack up more vert than you will at Killiington, it means staying in lodging in town that will allow you to WALK to the bars and enjoy the best village any mountain has to offer. Doesn't matter where you go (LP, Killington, etc.), you aren't going to find a plethora of babes so focus on the skiing and the convenience and do yourself a favor. Plan your trip to Whiteface.

Hey, if I haven't convinced you, try this on for size. Buy a three day or longer lift ticket during high season (through March 25) and you get a free Winter Passport. Sure, that will help you take advantage of some of the off mountain things, assuming you have any energy left for such pursuits. But the best thing about the passport is this. A free two hour adult group lesson. Let me tell you what that has meant for my brother the last few years. A free midweek two hour private lesson. There are that few people on the mountain most typical midweek days that the "group" lessons just aren't very full. Probably be people in your group if you are a beginner...they take more lessons. My brother is a very very strong intemediate bordering on an expert breakthrough and there just aren't many people in that class taking midweek lessons. I doubt too many experts are taking adult group, so there's a good chance you are on your own. No guarantees of being alone in your lesson, but even with a small group it's a very nice freebie. I haven't been able to get up for three consecutive days, but even as an accomplished expert I'd love to get some one on one time with an instructor to brush up on technique if I had the chance.

Phineas
03-01-2007, 09:58 AM

check - http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/onmtn/mtnstats.php

I think Skyward laps are like 2200 vert, its a steepish 2200, w/ 6-8 mintue lift ride - no waiting. On a good day when the quad is crankin our crew rips 12 minute upNdowns. when the US Nationals were held at WF in 02 Bode and the boys loved Skyward! said it was an awesome superG and DH course.

linkin up summit to base routes and every one is pushin 2.7 - 3.0 miles linear feet!

longest is not always the best indicator though - for example Mtn Run on Little Face is only 900 vert but again its a steep/ sustainned and the lift ride is only 5 minutes and you are back at it... excellent warm up to start the day

Weez
03-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I am one of the few supporters of Killington here but I have to say I totally agree with everything SkIdds and Phineas has said. I don't know much about your age or who you are traveling with but like others have said in the other thread, if your looking for a party atmosphere then Killington may be for you. If your looking for great skiing, great people and a great place to take your wife and/or kids then I would take LP over Killington every day of the week. The LP area is head and shoulders above everywhere else in the northeast my wife doesn't ski and she absolutely loves it. It has a quaint little New England town (with tons of things to do) that no other ski resort in the northeast has.

BTW: I've never been to Tremblant so can't speak for it but if your looking for true ski-in ski-out skiing go west and enjoy it. Killington is nothing like the west.

sleestak
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM

I think Skyward laps are like 2200 vert, its a steepish 2200, w/ 6-8 mintue lift ride - no waiting. On a good day when the quad is crankin our crew rips 12 minute upNdowns. when the US Nationals were held at WF in 02 Bode and the boys loved Skyward! said it was an awesome superG and DH course.

linkin up summit to base routes and every one is pushin 2.7 - 3.0 miles linear feet!

longest is not always the best indicator though - for example Mtn Run on Little Face is only 900 vert but again its a steep/ sustainned and the lift ride is only 5 minutes and you are back at it... excellent warm up to start the day

12 minutes? our crew did 6 minute sky to boreen to gondi---and boreen slowed us down! :shock:

SKIdds
03-01-2007, 10:46 AM

12 minutes? our crew did 6 minute sky to boreen to gondi---and boreen slowed us down! :shock:

His 12 included the lift ride for laps on the Summit Quad. And that 12 minutes also likely included time for the crew to saddle up at the top. Actual skiing time in that 12 minutes from the top of Sky to the Summit Quad couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 minutes. Sounds about right for a nonstop run. As does 6 from the top of Sky to the Gondi (but I do it in less than 5 ;))

AdironRider
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
The thing with Whiteface is that unlike most other NE hills, you can ride summit to base with no runouts, no riding other lifts, etc and get a full 3100 vertical feet, thats more sustained vert than anywhere in the east and many places out west. I need to emphasize the no run outs, this is full sustained steep vert. You wont be dissapointed.

Face4Me
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
The previous posts from SkiDDS and Phineas just summed up everything I was going to say, but just for added measure, read the following taken from http://www.skisnowboard.com/killington/index.html:

Killington, though, is not all things to all people. Weekend warriors flock to the slopes, and the chaos is sometimes dangerous. Snowshed (the beginner area) is dubbed "Bloodshed" by some locals. Furthermore, navigating the morass of terrain has made more than one skier or rider wish they had their own GPS system. Experts often find themselves zooming down beginner runs because they have missed their black-diamond choice. Worse still, beginners find themselves stranded on black-diamond runs in an attempt to reach their cars at day's end. To add to the confusion, Killington has five base areas (six, if you count Pico's). Killington provides shuttle service at day's end for those who have taken a wrong turn and ended up at a base different from where they parked in the morning. Be sure to read the signs at each trail junction.

Only about 1,500 feet of Killington's 3,050-foot vertical drop is working vertical, and only three trails, mostly beginner, meander the last 1,500 feet down to the true base on Rte. 4. People looking to avoid the crowds at the other Killington base areas often park here, take the Skyeship gondola to the mountain(s) proper, then take the long, slow run back at day's end.

To avoid confusion or ending up on those flat runouts when you'd rather be bashing serious bumps, we recommend one of the free Meet the Mountain tours, which leave from the Snowshed Base Lodge at 12:45 p.m., SkiSnowboard.co…ickcommands.xls Monday through Saturday. Guides will show newcomers how best to take advantage of Killington's trails without getting lost or stuck in the thickest crowds.

Regarding the comment above about "working vertical", I think what they're saying is that Killington's stated vertical drop is somewhat misleading. They measure from the top of Killington Peak to the bottom of Skye? - not sure if that's the right one - peak. The difference is approximately 3400 feet. In reality, however, you can't "really" ski this vertical from top to bottom ... there are other peaks in between so that to ski this vertical, you're doing a lot of flats and that sort of thing in between. If you really want the "truth" about a mountain, get a topo map of it and study it closely. Topo maps don't lie the way marketing materials do! The Unit Management Plan for Whiteface, which was referenced in SkiDDS post above, has a couple of topo maps (they're not too clear) that give you a pretty good idea of what you're going to get at Whiteface.

A couple of weekends ago, I went top to bottom, non-stop at a moderate pace. It was a weekend so I was making sure not to go too fast, particularly on the Excelsior and Boreen trails where there were a lot of beginner and intermediate skiers. I did this two weekends in a row. The first time, it took me just about 7 minutes to get to the bottom and the second time it took about 6. This is not to say that there aren't a couple of "flat zones" in there, however, one thing I can guarantee is that as long as you don't stop completely, you will NEVER have to use your poles or skate to get from top to bottom. The thing that amazed me the most, was that my thighs held out ...

If you're skiing the Summit Quad at Whiteface, I generally do laps on that chair in about a 20 minute cycle ... the lift is probably close to 15 minutes of that. I don't know too many people who can do more than 6 or 7 laps on that chair without a break in between!

sleestak
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM

His 12 included the lift ride for laps on the Summit Quad. And that 12 minutes also likely included time for the crew to saddle up at the top. Actual skiing time in that 12 minutes from the top of Sky to the Summit Quad couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 minutes. Sounds about right for a nonstop run. As does 6 from the top of Sky to the Gondi (but I do it in less than 5 ;))

our leader that day took us as far left as you can go all the way down. we went over too many flats that day. it doesnt count for fastness. its also not the longest run. we did upper to lower sky to boreen. parons, excelsior, boreen is the longest.

AdironRider
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Paron excelsior to Boreen is supposedly 3.5 miles long according to the Whiteface website.

takeahike46er
03-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Most runs at Killington are shorter than those at Whiteface. Those few longer trails that you speak of are great if you into cross country skiing. Seriously.

Jack the Ripper
03-01-2007, 07:59 PM

:shock: Put the pipe DOWN. Killington may have longer traverses but WF has the vert. You'll like the flat green traverses to get from one mountain to another esp if you board. Enjoy. :twisted:

Jack the Ripper
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
It's hard to look at Whiteface that way. They don't have any single 2.5 mile cruiser or anything like that. With the games most mountains play with number of trails and such I bet they can all lay claim to beating Whiteface in any measurement you choose.

But that doesn't really tell you a whole lot about the mountain. As people have tried to tell you, Whiteface has sustained vertical that other mountains just can't match, including K Mart. Put together a run from the summit on Parons, to Excelsior, to Upper and Lower Vallley and you have yourself 2.7 miles of non-stop, lactic acid building, burn your thighs intermediate vertical.

You can do laps on the Summit Quad and Upper and Lower Cloudspin gets you a mile of sustained pitch, Upper and Lower Skyward gets you a little less than a mile. Again, that's straight down the fall line, sustained pitch skiing. But again.......Take Upper and Lower Skyward and continue to run all the way to the bottom the way the Olympic downhillers did and you've got 2 miles of sustained vert that can test anyone's mettle.

Top to bottom nonstop, we're talking ski fast but in control, it can be done by an expert skier in four to five minutes. That's some serious skiing that most people probably won't be able to handle. Not an intermediate in the world that has the thighs to handle that. Your average intermediate skier going summit to gondi I'd guess would take AT LEAST 10 to 15 minutes with requisite stops to rest the legs and enjoy the views. No traverses. No runouts. No moving from lift to lift. Just 10 plus minutes of true top to bottom turns.

Oh, and speaking of the gondi......when you get to the bottom it's a sheltered ride waiting just for you, and lines just don't exist at Whiteface.

If glades are your thing link Cloudsplitter to 10th Mtn Division to High Country and you've got more than a half a mile of nonstop trees.

Page 84 of the Unit Management Plan http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf lists every trail with it's length and acreage.

Killington has a lot to offer. If you want to ski bumps you are much better off there. But the place is spread out and cut up, and doesn't provide the same kind of top to bottom skiing that Whiteface offers. So try not to get caught up on trail count and mileage, beacuse that only tells a small part of the story.

Skiing Whiteface and staying in LP means great top to bottom skiing where you'll probably rack up more vert than you will at Killiington, it means staying in lodging in town that will allow you to WALK to the bars and enjoy the best village any mountain has to offer. Doesn't matter where you go (LP, Killington, etc.), you aren't going to find a plethora of babes so focus on the skiing and the convenience and do yourself a favor. Plan your trip to Whiteface.

Hey, if I haven't convinced you, try this on for size. Buy a three day or longer lift ticket during high season (through March 25) and you get a free Winter Passport. Sure, that will help you take advantage of some of the off mountain things, assuming you have any energy left for such pursuits. But the best thing about the passport is this. A free two hour adult group lesson. Let me tell you what that has meant for my brother the last few years. A free midweek two hour private lesson. There are that few people on the mountain most typical midweek days that the "group" lessons just aren't very full. Probably be people in your group if you are a beginner...they take more lessons. My brother is a very very strong intemediate bordering on an expert breakthrough and there just aren't many people in that class taking midweek lessons. I doubt too many experts are taking adult group, so there's a good chance you are on your own. No guarantees of being alone in your lesson, but even with a small group it's a very nice freebie. I haven't been able to get up for three consecutive days, but even as an accomplished expert I'd love to get some one on one time with an instructor to brush up on technique if I had the chance.

Exactly.

NPN
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM

:shock: Put the pipe DOWN. Killington may have longer traverses but WF has the vert. You'll like the flat green traverses to get from one mountain to another esp if you board. Enjoy. :twisted:

"Put the pipe down", that's great, but give the poor slug a break, he's from Ohio for God's sake, no wonder he's attracted to Killington.