PDA

View Full Version : Fairview

Lbtchnlgs
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I know that nobody is expecting to see Fairview open ever again, and hopefully it wont be. I think they should have named ruby run "Better view". But anyway has anyone skied Fairview this winter? On skiers left there has got to be some very deep snow

harrycanyon
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I would think they could re-claim the acerage from Fairview and apply it to a more meaningful area of the mtn..

St. Jerry
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I don' think there is any snow on it. It's all blown off. Just rocks and stumps. Maybe they should place some windmills on that trail now.

Lbtchnlgs
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I don' think there is any snow on it. It's all blown off. Just rocks and stumps. Maybe they should place some windmills on that trail now.

This is true, the wind that hits that slope could power the whole damn town

jimmer
03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
no way thats a great trail, way better than fox lair and a hundred times better than ruby run, im really bummed that it wasnt open this year, i hope its not a sign of things to come, we have had some great days on that trail. with a little snowmaking its got some nice steep pitch, and its allways fun to watch the needles slide to the bottom, i say keep it open.

harrycanyon
03-05-2007, 04:37 PM
It would be a great place for a wind farm.... the 1st green powered ski resort in the state, but not in the US.. They could do well with the marketing and cost savings from that!

NPN
03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
no way thats a great trail, way better than fox lair and a hundred times better than ruby run, im really bummed that it wasnt open this year, i hope its not a sign of things to come, we have had some great days on that trail. with a little snowmaking its got some nice steep pitch, and its allways fun to watch the needles slide to the bottom, i say keep it open.

Again, Jimmer gets it when so many others miss the boat.

luv2cruz
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm with jimmer I miss skinng all the powder that builds up on the left. Rubys is just good for tucking, walking and site seeing. Foxlair is okay but it is not fairview. Sking is great see you out there.

highpeaksdrifter
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I only get to Gore about 10 times a year, but I'm with those of you who wish they would open Fairview. Ruby Run is a very functional trail because it allows low intermediates to ski off the Gondi on terrain that they can be confortable with. That said Ruby Run is no fun, but IMO Fairview is.

B SMACKER
03-06-2007, 02:21 AM
I also agree with Jimmer!!!! It's great when theres POW on the left and when it's icy and groomed its fun to do high speed tuck runs down it (when no ones in the way). When I worked ski school a bunch of instructors and I would tuck all the way from Fairview and carry it all the way down through Twister. If you were brave enough to keep em' pointed straight you could carry some serious speed all the way through and especially in the lower sections of Twister and through the waterfall area. Speaking of which, I miss the way Twister used to be at the bottom. After waterfall you had to set up for a couple of turns at very high speed (if you like to go fast) There was nothing like just rolling the skis over and carving through that section and feeling the G's.....

mikebike
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
It was fun .... and less tucking needed to make it to the saddle...

I imagine if they had RUby and Fairview open at the same time that merge at the bottom could get interesting.. :shock:

------------

a few times this year it was have been much nicer that the first big left turn on RUBY and the BLAST of wind there...

that said... the bottom corner on RUBY taking at full speed can be fun... unless as Jimmer says... "the Needles" are in the way :roll:

harrycanyon
03-06-2007, 10:57 AM
It's been a rare occurance that Fairview was ever in decent enough shape to enjoy the pitch it has at the end... Granted, I enjoyed not having to skate or unleash my board to walk over from the Green Dot, but I never thought Fairview was good for much other than bombing down to get to wherever it was I was going (without hitting anyone in the familliar crowd/bottleneck in front of Saddle).

Let's put it this way... I don't go to Gore to ski or ride Fairview, it was more often too icy than not and I only found it to be really enjoyable when biking on it (again, bombing down it). Topridge and Uncas are MUCH better additions than Fairview, but for runs off the gondi, maybe they should've widened the ramp down Fox Lair in addition to the Green... Maybe I'm just splitting hairs here.

jimmer
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
It's been a rare occurance that Fairview was ever in decent enough shape to enjoy the pitch it has at the end... Granted, I enjoyed not having to skate or unleash my board to walk over from the Green Dot, but I never thought Fairview was good for much other than bombing down to get to wherever it was I was going (without hitting anyone in the familliar crowd/bottleneck in front of Saddle).

Let's put it this way... I don't go to Gore to ski or ride Fairview, it was more often too icy than not and I only found it to be really enjoyable when biking on it (again, bombing down it). Topridge and Uncas are MUCH better additions than Fairview, but for runs off the gondi, maybe they should've widened the ramp down Fox Lair in addition to the Green... Maybe I'm just splitting hairs here. oh now i get it just cause you cant handle a little ice now and then, they should just close it. well if its icey conditions your worried about, maybe they should close all the trails, they all get a little icey from time to time, instead of bombing all over the place try throwing in a few turns here and there,stick to your greens and blues, well handle the tough stuff, needle on needle

harrycanyon
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Stop yourself before you completely trip over all those big words...Maybe that helmet of yours fits a little too tight for that big head to squeeze into? I can hold my own on whatever Gore throws at me, but if all my options are consistantly little zipper lines on the extreme skiers' left for Fairview, what's the point of having such a wide trail? They didn't even bother blowing snow on it this season, so what does that tell ya?

Also, those greens and blues you suggest I stick to are exactly where I learned how to ski and ride over 20 years ago.. I could even wax a little about a time long lost when they used to have a sweet dedicated bump trail called Hawkeye.. Again, a time from long ago though when the snowmaking wasn't nearly as good and extensive as it is today, but I still came back year after year, icy moguls and all...

tjf67
03-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Stop yourself before you completely trip over all those big words...Maybe that helmet of yours fits a little too tight for that big head to squeeze into? I can hold my own on whatever Gore throws at me, but if all my options are consistantly little zipper lines on the extreme skiers' left for Fairview, what's the point of having such a wide trail? They didn't even bother blowing snow on it this season, so what does that tell ya?

Also, those greens and blues you suggest I stick to are exactly where I learned how to ski and ride over 20 years ago.. I could even wax a little about a time long lost when they used to have a sweet dedicated bump trail called Hawkeye.. Again, a time from long ago though when the snowmaking wasn't nearly as good and extensive as it is today, but I still came back year after year, icy moguls and all...

Harry,
there is nothing wrong with skiing the blues. We can ride them and leave the tough stuff to Jimmer.

harrycanyon
03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
nothin' wrong with the blues!

jimmer
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
ha ha we skied fairview to day and it was sick. and closed. :twisted:

harrycanyon
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
well, at least you got your fairview fix... I still think the trail could do us a whole lot of good if it were revegitated though. or maybe some type of sparse glade a la Doc Dempsey's at Smuggs. Anything to cut down on the wind shear to help it hold snow better.

alexcaraco
04-16-2007, 11:57 PM

word. fairview was a way better way to get to saddle area than ruby. and it got some ok snow on it. they better keep it open next year...wait...ill be in utah...but for your guys sake, and my x-mas break, they better keep it open.