PDA

View Full Version : Slides question

St. Jerry
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
No, not asking if and when they will open. Sorry to dissapoint.

My question: Were the Slides at Whiteface created by snow slides/avalanches or by rock slides (summer)? I think it's rock slides, but not sure. Do they ever slide on their own in winter (not human triggered)?

highpeaksdrifter
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I was told rock and mud slides.

Phineas
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
100s of years ago - Native Americans named the big mtn Whiteface after landslides opened up the rockface and w/ the sun shinning on the new slides the mtn glowed white!

I've never heard of any avalanche, skier triggered or natural, in there. the real issue regarding skiing the slides is the ice and the wind packed slick slab.. at times there is slab and ice in there that could send you to your death!

I'm really never worried about avalanche in there but definently respect the ice factor!

sleestak
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM

My question: Were the Slides at Whiteface created by snow slides/avalanches or by rock slides (summer)? I think it's rock slides, but not sure. Do they ever slide on their own in winter (not human triggered)?

rock

freeheelwilly
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM

rock

Paper

Tsavolion
03-07-2007, 06:11 PM

rock

Paper

sissors - yey--i win!