PDA

View Full Version : Bump Contest

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Bump Contest
North Creek
Annual mogul event on Hawkeye! Several age categories and great prizes!
REGISTRATION DAY-OF 8:30AM-10:00AM FIRM. SORRY, WE CANNOT REGISTER LATECOMERS, AS THIS IS AN UPPER-MOUNTAIN EVENT.

Date: 3/25/07 - 3/25/07
Hours: 11am
Admission: $10

Anyone here every compete in this? If so can you fill me in on the following?

How it's scored?
Where on Hawkeye?
Kickers?
Who does the scoring?
Age breakdown?
1 run or 2 , best or combined?

mattchuck2
03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes. Yes.

4 Judges (Ski Instructors) Style, Speed, Fluidity, Turns 1-10 Scale.
Lower Part of Hawkeye, usually starts right around where the lift crosses the trail.
1 Kicker, usually middle-end . . . one year they had it at the bottom.
I think the age breakdown is usually something like (don't quote me) Under 8, 8-13, 13-18 (most competitive), 18-30, 30-50, over 50.
One run.

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes. Yes.

4 Judges (Ski Instructors) Style, Speed, Fluidity, Turns 1-10 Scale.
Lower Part of Hawkeye, usually starts right around where the lift crosses the trail.
1 Kicker, usually middle-end . . . one year they had it at the bottom.
I think the age breakdown is usually something like (don't quote me) Under 8, 8-13, 13-18 (most competitive), 18-30, 30-50, over 50.
One run.

Thank You

Wa
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Damnit!
I hope my back heals by then. :(

highpeaksdrifter
03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
So anyways, myself, Jack the Ripper, Skierforlife and at least 2 other guys from Whiteface are going to enter. MC2, Wa or any of you Gore rippers come up to say hi beers on me after the contest, I'd like to meet you guys.

If it's not too warm I'll have on a black parka, that says Nordica in big red letters on the back toward the bottom.

Lets get it on, these things are always fun. :D

Greg
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Bumps are for wimps.

Wa
03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
So anyways, myself, Jack the Ripper, Skierforlife and at least 2 other guys from Whiteface are going to enter. MC2, Wa or any of you Gore rippers come up to say hi beers on me after the contest, I'd like to meet you guys.

If it's not too warm I'll have on a black parka, that says Nordica in big red letters on the back toward the bottom.

Man, I would love to be there and ski with you guys in the bump contest but I won't be able to make it. My back is still out of whack from my last run down Double Barrel two weekends ago which ultimately ended my day in a ride on the meat sled courtesy of Gore's Ski Patrol. Spend last week home out of commission flat on my back. I'm finally back at work but walking with a cane. I'm afraid my season came to an early end this year. :(

St. Jerry
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
If I wasn't bashing it up in Jackson right now, I'd kick all your azzes. especially you, Class.

colonel klink
03-14-2007, 09:26 PM
baisicaly the only way to win is if you know people at the mountain, same as all the other contests, like lst years big air when josh was robbed by scotty. bumps are typical gore crap, suckily shaped and inconsistant, jumps land in bumps and are pretty decent other than the landing

highpeaksdrifter
03-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Man, I would love to be there and ski with you guys in the bump contest but I won't be able to make it. My back is still out of whack from my last run down Double Barrel two weekends ago which ultimately ended my day in a ride on the meat sled courtesy of Gore's Ski Patrol. Spend last week home out of commission flat on my back. I'm finally back at work but walking with a cane. I'm afraid my season came to an early end this year. :(

Sorry to hear that, hope you're back is good as new next season.

Lbtchnlgs
03-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I'll beat you all. on a snowboard

mattchuck2
03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I'll be there . . .

I'll probably be in it too unless they ask me to judge . . .

highpeaksdrifter
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Here's some pics of the course I took today. I was told they blew snow on Tuesday, seeded, and opened it up to let the public ski today.

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album24/DSCI0005.sized.jpg
http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album24/DSCI0003.jpg
http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album24/DSCI0004.jpg
http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album24/DSCI0007.jpg

NPN
03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Shouldn't you have been molding young minds today as opposed to doing recon on bump courses? Way jealous!

highpeaksdrifter
03-26-2007, 09:51 AM
I was very impressed with the running of this event.

The course was very different from the pics I posted earlier in the week. I guess they let folks ski it up until Sat. and it skied more like natural bumps then a seeded course.

Competition started promptly at 11:00 by age and gender category. Mountain Host David did a great job getting people to the start and getting them off. It ran quickly and smoothly.

There was a brief delay because of the fog. Judges just moved about half way up the trail and got off to the side where they could see the whole course, very smooth transition that kept the competition going.

They had 4 judges, one each for control, style, speed and overall impression. Judges also shouted words of encouragement as skiers and riders went down which I thought was a nice touch. Propts to them.

Sound system was great and the girl who did the announcing kept it upbeat and lively.

Fourm members of note:

In the 30 – 39 category Jack the Ripper finished a very respectable 4th in a tuff group. He scored a 27. He wasn’t happy with his run and I’ve seen him ski better, but he’s always tuff and competitive as he was here.

In the 40 – 49 category Skier 4 Life finished 3rd. He scored a 30. I didn’t see the 2 guys who beat him, but they had to have had a great runs cause S4L was very good and I thought for sure he won.

In the 50 - 59 category I finished 6th and was lucky to get that as I had a very poor run. I scored a 26. I started off good, but I decided to go out of my line to my left to hit the first kicker (was not in my original plan, duh), I landed in the backseat and spun around and had to put my hand down to stop from falling. After having to come to a full stop and restarting I never got a good rhythm back. My bad.

Jack and I couldn’t stay for the 3:30 awards, but S4L called and told me the prizes where great. I actually won a raffle for a dinner for 2 at a restaurant in Albany, but you had to be there to collect your prize. It just wasn’t my day.

Gore put on an absolutely outstanding event in all aspects. I will be back next year for sure and will encourage more of my friends to come.

Lbtchnlgs
03-26-2007, 10:24 AM
thanks for the report. im glad everything went great

Skier 4 Life
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the report (and the plug) HPD. I couldn't have said it any better myself. And don't you (or JTR) feel too bad 'bout your performance either... there is always next year, right?

03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the report (and the plug) HPD. I couldn't have said it any better myself. And don't you (or JTR) feel too bad 'bout your performance either... there is always next year, right?

S4L how come you didn't get any pictures? Sorry, had to say it, just kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:
See you Saturday. Maybe you'll have a new camera by then. You will need one for Tuckermans.

NPN
03-26-2007, 06:07 PM

S4L how come you didn't get any pictures?

You may want to check your homeowner's insurance. Sometimes things like this are covered.

Skier 4 Life
03-27-2007, 08:46 AM
You may want to check your homeowner's insurance. Sometimes things like this are covered.

Thanks for the tip NPN. I did check into it, but the camera was not worth more than my deductible. Oh well. :roll:

Phineas
03-27-2007, 03:31 PM
checking all the tree wells as I ski over to upper cloud. I'm good at findin things - very perceptive I am.. although if it aint there, chances of me finding it are not so good...

freeheelwilly
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
- very perceptive I am..

Oh yeah? You ever find your sunglasses you lost on Upper Saranac last Summer, Mr. Perceptive? :lol:

Skier 4 Life
03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
checking all the tree wells as I ski over to upper cloud. I'm good at findin things - very perceptive I am.. although if it aint there, chances of me finding it are not so good...

Thanks Phineas and anyone else out there looking for me... I really appreciate it! It would be nice to get the camera back, but it's the pics that are irreplaceable. :(

sleestak
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
- very perceptive I am..

Oh yeah? You ever find your sunglasses you lost on Upper Saranac last Summer, Mr. Perceptive? :lol:

http://upload7.postimage.org/435899/banana.gif (http://upload7.postimage.org/435899/photo_hosting.html)