PDA

View Full Version : 5 Ski mini reviews

highpeaksdrifter
01-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Conditions: Whiteface Mt. Jan. 16, 2006 Hard pack, wind blown. The mountain is recovering from thaw, rain to sub zero temps. Where they are blowing snow manamade pow.

My specs: 5’ 8” 185lbs. Level 8/9 - Age 51 - have been skiing since age 6.

Metron B5 – I went for these first because I’ve read so much about them here and I wanted to see how they matched up to my Top Fuels. I asked for the 172cm but the tech said he never takes them because it takes a really big man to use them. He gives me the 162cm and off I go. The ski is a blast, very quick, good rebound, likes short turns in the fall line. Felt good at speed and GS type turns. I was very impressed with this ski. I wish I could have tried it in a variety of conditions.

Rossi Z9 – 170cm – In a word boring. Way too damp, doesn’t like speed, can make the turns, but like I said boring.

VolklAC4 – 170cm – I was all set to love this ski, but not in today’s conditions. Handled the hard pack ok, but probably too soft of a ski for my liking.

Fischer RX9 – 170cm – Perfect ski for today’s conditions. Best in the test for edge hold. Likes long turns, but worked well in the fall line too. I would love to try these in a NASTAR course. Very nice and inspires confidence.

Atomic M11 – 170cm – Easy turn initiation, but lacked the power of the B5. Didn’t feel all that stable at speed. I found this ski rather uninspiring.

I rate them:

Metron B5 - by far
Fischer RX9
VolklAC4
Atomic M11
Rossi Z9

I admit to being prejudice, but I rate my Top Fuels higher then the B5’s. While you have to work them harder to make short turns at slower speeds they make up for it when going fast. I have not been on a mid fat yet that is as stable and fast as these. That said the B5’s are one hell of a ski.

Greg
01-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks HPD. Just got a new pair of Volkl Unlimited AC3s...

highpeaksdrifter
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM

I saw that in AZ. Yesterdays conditions would only tell me what I like on hard pack and to each their own anyway. Had I known you where getting the AC3's I would have tried them.

Greg
01-17-2006, 10:36 AM

I saw that in AZ. Yesterdays conditions would only tell me what I like on hard pack and to each their own anyway. Had I known you where getting the AC3's I would have tried them.
I demoed the 724 EXP (the predescessor to the AC3) last year and loved them. Very energetic ski that like to go fast, but again I only rode them on groomed snow. I think the 74mm waist is a good balance for an East-coast all-mountain. We shall see.

jackstraw
01-17-2006, 11:46 AM
i just mounted to B5's for a buddy last night. looks like a sweet ski, phat sidecut!! wholly cow!! i have the EX's which is the 19m sidecut vs the B5 w/ 11m sidecut.

i don't quite understand their size charts either. i bought the ex in a 185, against atomics sizing charts. they had me on the 165 or 175 i think. i ski the 185 just fine in the woods, they rip actually. i feel that someone like yourself who has been skiing for soo long :lol: should listen to your own instincts and ski what you want...w/ that said i bet the longer B5's would have held better a high speeds for you. all these charts are for the 'typical' skier...you're not 'typical'!!!

now all we need is snow!