PDA

View Full Version : Coca Cola snowcast

AdironRider
03-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Has anyone followed these this year? Frankly, I cant take any of it seriously. It is now march, and every single report has had Whiteface skiing awesome, or its amazing, or I NEED to get up here. Look, I know the mtn isnt going to put anything up that is going to keep people from coming, they are running a business, but at least make the snowcasts useful. Tell me what trails are going to be crappy that day, what the snow conditions can we expect on different trails, etc. In its current state it screams marketing bull.

sleestak
03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Has anyone followed these this year? Frankly, I cant take any of it seriously. It is now march, and every single report has had Whiteface skiing awesome, or its amazing, or I NEED to get up here. Look, I know the mtn isnt going to put anything up that is going to keep people from coming, they are running a business, but at least make the snowcasts useful. Tell me what trails are going to be crappy that day, what the snow conditions can we expect on different trails, etc. In its current state it screams marketing bull.

first of all - the conditions at whiteface have been amazing and awesome since the weather changed end of january, so what can you say? the podcasts seem to be done at night, after the skiing day has ended, so they arent designed to give you a trail by trail snow condition breakdown. if you want that, you should call the mountain or go to the conditions page and see what trails are groomed and which ones have snowmaking on them. i wouldnt rely on the podcast to decide whether to ski or not, i would rely on weather reports and calling the coca-cola snow phone.

AdironRider
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Its there to tell about conditions and events on the mtn no? Whats the point of it otherwise?

I agree with you that whiteface has been skiing quite well, but she calls the 37" vday storm amazing and a 43 degree rainy weekend day amazing. There has to be some sort of difference. Otherwise its just BS.

freeheelwilly
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
A-Rider:

I think the podcasts are just supposed to be kinda fun in a wacky/kooky/goofy kinda way. And I also think that mid-winter conditions can be "awesome" and so can Spring conditions. They're just a different type of "awesome" (or "awesome" for a different reason). Everybody knows that the the conditions aren't the same; that doesn't mean that they both can't be awesome.

I like the podcasts so if that Bridget chica lurks in here, know this: You make me laugh and laugh! :lol:

Face4Me
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with you that whiteface has been skiing quite well, but she calls the 37" vday storm amazing and a 43 degree rainy weekend day amazing. There has to be some sort of difference. Otherwise its just BS.

I guess it's just how you look at things ... if you were at the mountain first thing Saturday morning, the conditions were incredible, particularly on Skyward and Paron's Run, up until about 11:00 - 11:30. After that, things had softened up considerably and it was getting a little messy, but if you were fortunate to be out there first thing, you would have had a huge smile on your face (unless, like me, you were one of the unlucky ones who got stuck on the Summit Quad for about 15-20 minutes :cry: )

As for Sunday, things were pretty firm in the morning, and I only stayed until about 11:30, but I'm "guessing" that in the afternoon, once the sun had been on it for a while, conditions were probably really good too.

As for the Valentine's Day storm, I didn't ski in the two days after the storm, but I did ski the entire weekend after it. If you like powder, I don't know how you wouldn't call that one amazing.

It's also probably very dependent on what you like in terms of conditions, and what you're used to ... From my point of view, since the middle of January, this has been one of the best seasons I've seen at Whiteface conditions-wise in years.

NPN
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Its there to tell about conditions and events on the mtn no? Whats the point of it otherwise?

No!

Try listening to tonights, and find out why, IMO, you're way wrong with this commentary.

If you want the facts go to Prance; if you'd like to enjoy a little insider fun stay with the cast.

If you want the a.m. latest greatest get your a** out of bed at the crack of dawn, and call in to see what Pat, and Joe have to tell you.

Howard Stern isn't going to give you the local news straight, so you shouldn't expect it from the pod venue either.

Face4Me
03-12-2007, 08:05 PM
:lol: ... AdironRider ... Listen to today's snowcast ... You got yourself a dedication ... :lol:

Denison
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
she's funny, love the podcast!

AdironRider
03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I must admit, well played ;) Didnt mean any hard feelings, more constructive criticism. The podcasts are a great way to get news out to the masses and tell more than what prance can, but I just wanted a little more variation ya know? I totally agree that you can have great days with sub par conditions, but if the conditions are sub par, I just want to get a heads up. Either way it really is awesomethat they read the forum here, glad to see they take us commoners into consideration. [/i]

NPN
03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I must admit, well played ;) Didnt mean any hard feelings, more constructive criticism. The podcasts are a great way to get news out to the masses and tell more than what prance can, but I just wanted a little more variation ya know? I totally agree that you can have great days with sub par conditions, but if the conditions are sub par, I just want to get a heads up. Either way it really is awesomethat they read the forum here, glad to see they take us commoners into consideration. [/i]

Glad to hear it, but, and with a call sign like AdironRider, I would expect that you should be able to cover the broad strokes for yourself. A simple look at the temps from last weekend was sure to say that the warm up on Saturday followed by below freezing on Saturday night/Sunday a.m. was certain to deliver brick-like cord for the first part of the day, etc., etc..

I think the snow phone reports are pretty honest in their calls for how things are shaping up at the start of the day, but if you're looking for a crystal ball report by anyone the night before, you're asking way too much.

highpeaksdrifter
03-13-2007, 05:30 AM
I must admit, well played ;) [/i]

:lol: That was hilarious. Bridget should do a stand up act. :lol:

Greg
03-13-2007, 08:01 AM
:lol: ... AdironRider ... Listen to today's snowcast ... You got yourself a dedication ... :lol:
That's fantastic! A-Ride called out on the WF podcast! I was called out on the MRG site last week. Good stuff.