PDA

View Full Version : slides yet????

frashdog
03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm in Hilton Head for the week, have the slides opened yet.

I know folks have been sking them. I watched one from summit go down slide one last week. If there is avy danger, which I can not believe there is enough to be that concerned. They should allow those with the avy gear to access the slides from the ski area. The patrolers have been skiing it. I've dug a fair amount of pits the last few weeks in the bc and no one can convince me there is that much unstabilty there.

Phineas
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Some of the " avi professionals" on patrol are lockin them up. the hardcore dudes are even camping out at the entrance to the outlaw trail to ambush the poachers... :shock:

first weekend of March they may have been chest deep down #3 - total whiteroom - but I'm just guessing :twisted:

jackstraw
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
ghost -

if one of the slides were to slide what would be the end result? meaning, could it spill into a trail on the resort and take some joey out? if not, why is WF so concerned about people riding the slides?

at cannon or wildcat we can go wherever we want whenever we want to. its a grey rule for sure but the patrol isn't all uptight.

AdironRider
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Patrol at whiteface act like little babies compared to the slides. People have been skiing them for weeks. The worst part is, the slides exist due to mudslides and whatnot, not avalanches. I have yet to find a single person who can confirm avalanche activity in there.

frashdog
03-13-2007, 11:59 AM
if one of the slides were to slide what would be the end result? meaning, could it spill into a trail on the resort and take some joey out? if not, why is WF so concerned about people riding the slides?
an avy would not make it in the the ski area.

rumor has it, the v.i.p.'s are getting the super freshies up there. Most tracks are inside slide one where no one can see.

Some of the " avi professionals" on patrol are lockin them up. the hardcore dudes are even camping out at the entrance to the outlaw trail to ambush the poachers... self proclaimed "avi pros"? cause unless we have people with level 3 avi training and a few years of actual avy/fracture analysis writting snow pack analysis and forcasts, I would not be calling them pro's. I have yet to see a naturaly triggered slide in the bc. Kinda makes me think whiteface is full of it when on topic of the slides.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with hiking to access the slides, so long as it was not done via lift/ski trail access. Other words if caught on the slides "I do not have a pass" :roll: "I hiked up" It is state land with hiking trails up it.

Phineas
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
ghost -

at cannon or wildcat we can go wherever we want whenever we want to. its a grey rule for sure but the patrol isn't all uptight.

Slide area is completely separate from resort trails so no potential for a slide to affect anything on mtn.

The real issue is the existence of boilerplate ice across the top of slide 1 and slide 2. These areas are regularly exposed to high winds and result in extreme ice that is almost, well impossible, to set an edge in. Coming in from resort, skiers must traverse these sections to get over to Slide 3 and 4 which hold more snow due to fact wind does not damage as much.. Still ice on ledges throughout 3 and 4.

The first pitch on slide 1 abruptly ends at the "water falls” which are a series of rock ledges that freeze solid blue. Some have tumbled to their death on the blue ice. In the spring when the ice turns aqua green, they are safer to ski.

A public authority manages whiteface, staffs are state employees so I image their might be a higher degree of accountability from the standpoint for litigation… So when it comes right down to it, it’s the people who sue ski mtns and their lawyers who are ultimately to blame for the current slide policy…

that and the deadly blue ice! 8)

jackstraw
03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
ghost -

Slide area is completely separate from resort trails so no potential for a slide to affect anything on mtn.

The real issue is the existence of boilerplate ice across the top of slide 1 and slide 2. These areas are regularly exposed to high winds and result in extreme ice that is almost, well impossible, to set an edge in. Coming in from resort, skiers must traverse these sections to get over to Slide 3 and 4 which hold more snow due to fact wind does not damage as much.. Still ice on ledges throughout 3 and 4.

The first pitch on slide 1 abruptly ends at the "water falls” which are a series of rock ledges that freeze solid blue. Some have tumbled to their death on the blue ice. In the spring when the ice turns aqua green, they are safer to ski.

A public authority manages whiteface, staffs are state employees so I image their might be a higher degree of accountability from the standpoint for litigation… So when it comes right down to it, it’s the people who sue ski mtns and their lawyers who are ultimately to blame for the current slide policy…

that and the deadly blue ice! 8)

ahh, that makes sense. i can see their point based on your description of the entrance. too bad they couldn't come up w/ some sort of sign out policy whereas you sign your life away. although, not being a lawyer (fhw!) im not sure any of that holds up in court.

people suing ski areas should be shot!

frashdog
03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Whitefaces policies regarding the slides are just crap. Not dising anyone here but, there is more danger in the trama park than on the slides. I remember the days of losing your pass for jumping, that's right jumping off the snow. This was pre snowboard whiteface, yes there was a time when snowboards were not allowed at whiteface. Then a few years later they are building jumps for people. :roll:

Control the out of bounds the same way they do it out west, gates with warnings recomending the right gear. I bet out west more people get hurt inbound per user than those that accesses the bc from the ski area.

true that, but I put more money down that there is plenty of snow under and around the falls at this time to safetly navigate.

Lbtchnlgs
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
It is like when Stowe posts avy danger warnings. I think it is less the actual danger of a slide happening and more of a dramatic phrase that makes people think it is one bad ass mountain and draws people in.

Phineas
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
more danger in the trama park than on the slides. :roll:

totally agree! the parks are insane - landing on manAmade hardpack does not ensure a long and happy riding career

Control the out of bounds the same way they do it out west, gates with warnings recomending the right gear. I bet out west more people get hurt inbound per user than those that accesses the bc from the ski area.

I concur but I betcha WF gets more day tripper types w/ more brawn than brains than western resorts which could result in more accidents - on Sunday w/ the tightening up over night after saturday's thaw - patrol ran 15 sleds!!

true that, but I put more money down that there is plenty of snow under and around the falls at this time to safetly navigate.

tight right on one is always loaded - but dont U think the margin for error is pretty decent for the six day a year skier that U know will venture in w/ a more lose policy??

frashdog
03-13-2007, 05:24 PM
tight right on one is always loaded - but dont U think the margin for error is pretty decent for the six day a year skier that U know will venture in w/ a more lose policy??yes, if not done properly you would have many folks on it that should not be." Yeah I skied the slides" guys.
That's why they should require minimum of pairs with avy gear (probe/shovel/beacon) that check in with patrolers if there is anything less than solid conditions. They said last year they were going to do avy gear required slides access, yet to see it. Due to that, me and a few others have been bringing our avy gear in the cars hoping. Scare people into not going down it.

The topic of the slides when concerning the managment of the mountain is garbage. Almost as bad as the half pipe, another topic. It's the lack of info on the slides that has me thinking they don't give a poo 'bout it. The slides could be one of whiteface's biggest marketing tools. What other mountain in the east compares when including the slides?

Phineas
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
It is like when Stowe posts avy danger warnings. I think it is less the actual danger of a slide happening and more of a dramatic phrase that makes people think it is one bad a** mountain and draws people in.

Stowe-What? thats a great bumper sticker! IMHO they wrecked that place w/ all the residential! that place is way too New England country club on any given weekend... mt Stowe days are numbered and then only during the week.. 20 minute lift lines everywhere!

Stowe-What, WF rules!

Phineas
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
[quote] What other mountain in the east compares when including the slides?

w/ less grooming on Parkway, MacKenzie and Wilderness so we have designated bump trails, the ever expanding glades, awesome sustained vertical, a world cup pipe, boader cross course on Boreen, best Snowtribe in the biz and never any liftlines - even w/out the slides I think WF is best ski in da east, w/ slides 4sure even better.

WF is a ripper's mtn! just ride man, no worries!

8)

AdironRider
03-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Whoa killer, Whitefaces snowmakers have made leaps and bounds in the last 3 years with the ongoing improvements, but the Face is far from a snowmaking powerhouse. Killington, Okemo, Sunday River, and especially hunter are far superior in terms of the product they are capable of putting down.

We all love Whiteface here, but lets not get overzealous. Everything else you said was spot on though.

Phineas
03-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Whoa killer, Whitefaces snowmakers have made leaps and bounds in the last 3 years with the ongoing improvements, but the Face is far from a snowmaking powerhouse.

I respectfully dissagree. Our Tribe buried WF within the limted window MoNat offered this season!

given the limted access to water I'd take our snowtribe over any of those aforementioned hills. I skied velvet carpet on parkway and skyward this season that, IMHO, is second to none! WF SnowTribe Rules!!!

jackstraw
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
even w/out the slides I think WF is best ski in da east, w/ slides 4sure even better.

if you had skied...including the bc and local runs....everywhere in da east you could make that statement. but!!! and that's a big BUTT...you haven't!!! therefore, i will disagree!

stowe bc and tree shots rock! also, ski cannon off the 'old man's nose'...well where is used to be anyway. open regular trail...tramline. wf doesn't have anything comparable.

Phineas
03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
wf doesn't have anything comparable.

how would you know?

hey isn't it diaper changing time??

AdironRider
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Whoa killer, Whitefaces snowmakers have made leaps and bounds in the last 3 years with the ongoing improvements, but the Face is far from a snowmaking powerhouse.

I respectfully dissagree. Our Tribe buried WF within the limted window MoNat offered this season!

given the limted access to water I'd take our snowtribe over any of those aforementioned hills. I skied velvet carpet on parkway and skyward this season that, IMHO, is second to none! WF SnowTribe Rules!!!

Totally agree on the quality of the product which is what matters most in the end for sure. If anything ours was better than any of the places I mentioned before due to less overall traffic. I was just refering to how the total amount they can put down. Killington when they want to can open up terrain faster than you can blink.

jackstraw
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

how would you know?

umm...ive skied WF!!

have you skied Cannon, Wildcat, Jay, Loaf, SR or anywhere beyond WF?

it must be really boring skiing the same hill all the time...no choices kind of blows huh? of course you could call gore a choice, but i wouldn't. And yes, ive skied gore too! piss off!!

NPN
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM

how would you know?

umm...ive skied WF!!

it must be really boring skiing the same hill all the time...no choices kind of blows huh? of course you could call gore a choice, but i wouldn't. And yes, ive skied gore too! piss off!!

Yes, I have skiied all of the above mentioned areas, and I still prefer Whiteface. I also get that that is just my personal preference, and that you're entitled to yours, but isn't it a little early in the day for grumpy guy, and "piss off"? That usually doesn't happen to me until cocktail stupid sets in right around midnight. What I don't get is why a guy from NH is spending so much time on this board if he/she is so much happier with all of those other areas.

Phineas
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
umm...ive skied WF!!

O, isnt someone a little cranky today - must of been a messy changing.. :P

I have not skied your beloved Cannon, nor wildcat, Jay yes, Loaf no, nor SR. Yes I've skied beyond WF but no not in the last two seasons. I have not left the ADKs to ski. But that's because I find WF totally fulfilling - and its a 15 minute ride from home.

I never get bored at WF and this spring we'll be festing on corn well into April all over the dacks so I'll probably not leave again. I could easily travel across the pond to MRG, da Bush or Stowe all within 2 hours... choices are there I just choose the Big Mtn!!! :twisted:

jackstraw
03-14-2007, 04:07 PM

how would you know?

umm...ive skied WF!!

Yes, I have skiied all of the above mentioned areas, and I still prefer Whiteface. I also get that that is just my personal preference, and that you're entitled to yours, but isn't it a little early in the day for grumpy guy, and "piss off"? That usually doesn't happen to me until cocktail stupid sets in right around midnight. What I don't get is why a guy from NH is spending so much time on this board if he/she is so much happier with all of those other areas.

first off...it wasn't directed toward you. ghost and i always joke w/ each other...so, PISS OFF!!!

secondly, skiing the bunny hill at those area's does not qualify as skiing the hill.

NPN
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM

how would you know?

umm...ive skied WF!!

first off...it wasn't directed toward you. ghost and i always joke w/ each other...so, PISS OFF!!!

secondly, skiing the bunny hill at those area's does not qualify as skiing the hill.

Well, either somebody's hittin' the bottle a little early, or . Either way, you have a nice day.

jackstraw
03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, either somebody's hittin' the bottle a little early, or just a total dick. Either way, you have a nice day.
you have a nice day too :twisted:

Jack the Ripper
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Some of the " avi professionals" on patrol are lockin them up. the hardcore dudes are even camping out at the entrance to the outlaw trail to ambush the poachers... :shock:

first weekend of March they may have been chest deep down #3 - total whiteroom - but I'm just guessing :twisted:

What else is new??? :roll: As for that outlaw entrance the last time I checked they actually had a no skiing sign there. If that wasn't there, no one would know about the entrance. :twisted:

Lbtchnlgs
03-24-2007, 05:09 PM
not that i'll be up, but any rumor on them opening?

AdironRider
03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
umm...ive skied WF!!

O, isnt someone a little cranky today - must of been a messy changing.. :P

I have not skied your beloved Cannon, nor wildcat, Jay yes, Loaf no, nor SR. Yes I've skied beyond WF but no not in the last two seasons. I have not left the ADKs to ski. But that's because I find WF totally fulfilling - and its a 15 minute ride from home.

I never get bored at WF and this spring we'll be festing on corn well into April all over the dacks so I'll probably not leave again. I could easily travel across the pond to MRG, da Bush or Stowe all within 2 hours... choices are there I just choose the Big Mtn!!! :twisted:

Hey, Ill be the first to admit I love the face, BUT you sound like your talking out of your ass when you say Whiteface is bar none the best in the east when you havent skied anywhere else in over 2 years, and havent hit up some of the other top resorts in the NE, especially given they arent even 2 hours away. Whiteface is definately one of my top three; however, I have yet to hit the Bush, and Stowe is just plain the best. Theyve got it all, legitimate terrain, tons more snow than the face, better/more trees, and much better backcountry. If Whiteface werent pussies about the slides it might be closer, but they arent and it isnt.

Just for the record my personal opinion on the top three in the east:

1) Stowe
2) Whiteface
3) Cannon

Phineas
03-26-2007, 10:33 AM
STOWEWHAT! :roll: