PDA

View Full Version : how many years ?

jimmer
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
saw this on another site and it got alot of response, how many years have you been skiing, and where did you first start. for me ive been skiing for 43 of my 50 years, i started at west mt and hidden valley, but spend most of my time bugging people at gore now. how about you ?

Denison
03-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I've been skiing for about 7 years now and I'm almost 33. Hunter was my first experience, I think I went down Belt Parkway on the first day. For my second time on skis I went to Killington with friends, remember liking Great Eastern, also remember skiing that beginners slope (with 3 or 4 lifts) - almost out of control...

mikebike
03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
38 years.... of skiing on mountians..... a few more before that hiking up then skiing down as a 9-12 yr old.

Most skiing early was at Royal Mt .....aslo Silver Bells (Wells, NY) and Oak mt (Speculator, NY)

also some at Mc Cauly Mt (Old Forge) and the old North Creek Ski Bowl....

have skied Gore since 1977 or lil before

Wa
03-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Been skiing 28 years since I was 5. I learned at Fahnstock State Park. The place on the Taconic Parkway where the park police were stationed used to be a state run ski area. After that, when I was ready for a bigger mountain my parents took us to Jiminy Peak all the time. I started skiing Gore when I was 12 years old.

Lbtchnlgs
03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
About 10 years. Skiied once at West just on the face, 4 years later when I was in 3rd grade i got a snowboard for my birthday. Went to West that weekend taught myself from the top and have never looked back. Skiing gore for 4-5 years (season pass)

Harvey44
03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm 48 years old.

I first skied at Garnet Hill in traditional cross country gear in 1989. I was 30. Over the next two years - I's ski GHLs groomed trails. Then I started to go into the Siamese with Karhu XCD GTs and Asolo Snowfields. We (I had two partners) did some bushwacking, orienteering and winter camping. We explored most all of the draws, routes and hunters path's in the north part of the Siamese from 13th Lake, Kings Flow and 11th Mountain trailheads.

By 1994 we were JONESING for skiing by Thanksgiving and there wasn't usually snow by then. My one buddy and I - also an XC skier - skied at Gore early in the season on the very same Karhu's and Asolos. They were 210s. I'd stick to Sunway when I could.

By say 1998 I started to do the top. After two HUGE dumps in March some years back I went with a ski patrol and went places I still can't remember.

Now that our camp has plumbing we stick to Gore and the Siamese.

Oh yea, I never skied alpine. I first used plastic tele boots three years ago. Now my gear is fat and curvy. And Gore gets better every year.

Fast forward - NOW I've got a baby and Gore has killer day care - so the former backcountry skier, is now skiing all Gore, all the time. Today was day 28.

Great thread Jimmer - how are ya?

Harv

Phineas
03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
28 years of lift service - started lift service at Rock Candy Mtn in the town of Schaghticoke, Rensselaer Ctny! Learned to rip at Willard Mtn in Washington Ctny! the Colonel is a bad arse trail and the cliff jump was utilized to impress many young ladies 8) (and freak out ski coach) :roll:

I still remember my first sticks and they were sticks - wooden planks varnished up w/ red painted tips. a rubber patch in the middle w/ raw hide straps to wrap around me feet. use to hike up Rice Mtn outside the house and anger myself to a crazed state as my feet went one way and the skis another! :twisted:

then one christmas Santa delivered a blue and white pair of Rossingols with matching poles and real binding! I can even remember when I took my first yard sale w/ my Rossi and freaked out cause I scrathed the tops! :cry:

Willard Mtn is a great family place - I loved growing up there and think to myself many, many times how awesome my mom and dad are for getting me into the Willard Mtn Ski Race program!! I love you mom and dad!

Skiing really is the coolest thing on earth!

jimmer
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
im throwing this back out there , i thought it was a good post but only got 6 replies.

highpeaksdrifter
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm 53 and started when I was 6. 47

04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
42 and some days it feels it. Never on the first day but on the next consecutive ones. Hope to make it till the end.

campgottagopee
04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
35 here and some days feels like 41

luv2cruz
04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
i have been sking since 81 so thats 26 years and i learned at good old gore thats why i luv2cruz. my husband taught me on the j-bar. he's been sking since he was about 7 so thats 43 years[ do the math].he learned at davos in lower ny[it was also called big vannila for a while now it's closed] he started sking at gore in 1972.

MidnightCarving
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
19 years old

proudly representing gore for 16 of them

Greg
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Started at 19, so 14 years.

adksara
04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
32... and been skiing for 8 years. Started and Gore & West (in my backyard!!!) and am slowly getting to other mtns. I always X-countried and raced XC but took up down hill and now enjoy 'em both! :D

Keep the cheer,
AdkSara

mattchuck2
04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm 26 and I've been skiing for 21 of them . . . at least 50 days a year for the past 10 years