PDA

View Full Version : weather

tjf67
03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Today is the start of a 4 day run of great weather up here. They changed the forecast for Sat. No rain.
Freezing in the evening sunny in the 40's during the day. Thats spring skiing!!!

freeheelwilly
03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Agreed. This weekend- especially Saturday - is setting up to be a beaute.

cover
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
How's the Summit holding up and the trail count? Will the top half of the mountain make it to the weekend? Considering a drive from Ontario this weekend, but need to make sure it's worth it?

AdironRider
03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I only did Skyward on Tues, Cloud and Parons were closed. The top was socked in hard all day so I cant tell you if it was because the cover is gone or what. Skyward had great coverage across the whole trail, EXCEPT for real thin stuff at the very top along the headwall. I had to jump over a 2 foot wide patch of dirt and rocks there yesterday, but the groomers should be able to cover that up. With the amount of snow on Skyward, it should definately be open for the weekend, no worries/

Phineas
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
How's the Summit holding up and the trail count? Will the top half of the mountain make it to the weekend? Considering a drive from Ontario this weekend, but need to make sure it's worth it?

make it a three day weekend! tomorrow and Sat is full sun and bluebird. w/ colder temps overnight the next three days will be cornfest!

clouds to move in later on Sunday..

expect spring conditions w/ blue skies, song birds singing, skimpy outfits on da ladies hanging on the sun deck and lots O fun!

AdironRider
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Down to 47 trails today. Clouspin, essex and the Mackenzies are out it looks like. Get out there while you can, Ill be there Fri - Sat.

cover
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
The most significant weather development in the next week will be the arrival of another upper level short wave trough in the East by the middle of next week...that will dig a larger scale trough into the region, which will tap into a growing area of colder than normal air in the western half of Canada. Temperatures in the East from the middle of next week through Easter and beyond will be well below normal, on the order of 6 to 8 degrees, with a couple of days running more than 10 below normal not out of the question. So, any snow that makes it until the middle of next week will effectively be preserved beyond Easter. Now, with a trough in position, and a fairly deep and sharp one at that, the opportunity will be there for one last significant snowstorm. There will be cold air available and I would be surprised if snow plows are not back in action, by Easter weekend, across upstate New York and northern New England...and perhaps a little bit south of there, as well. It may not be the dry powder that we have seen in abundance during the second half of this season, and it will likely be subject to elevation, as most spring storms are, but we could very well see a snowfall that will not only help to prolong the season, but in some cases, it could very well extend the season at resorts planning to close after Easter Sunday.

As I mentioned in my report today...if you have never sampled the joys of spring skiing, make this the year! How can you pass up short lift lines, sparsely populated trails, warm sunshine, lift ticket deals, lunch on the deck...do I have to go on?!?! It’s a fantastic time to be on the slopes, and I hope you’ll give it a try...those of you who know the bliss of spring skiing won’t need such blatant prodding. I’ll file one last report early next week, at which time I will take a look at the staying power of the upcoming return to cold and potentially snowy weather...until then...SPF 30, at a minimum.

SKIdds
03-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reminder on the sunscreen.......I probably would have forgotten. Our reservations are all set for a long weekend trip. See you all on the Apple Butter moguls!