PDA

View Full Version : Whiteface or Gore??

MICO
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi! Looking for the best possible advice.

Wife and I are beginners, have skied 3 times (Snow Ridge & McCauley) on new gear purchased a month ago. We'd love to get out again this Friday. Must be a daytrip, so looks like Whiteface and Gore are the only options. Gore is planning to re-open on Friday, but no web info on trail conditions 'til then. Looks like we'd be limited to just a couple Green trails on each mountain. Progress has been good, so we might be able to try some Blue trails. However, they would have to be near the bottom -- not at the top of a long run. That's one reason we'd like to get out again.......We might be ready to transition.

Next, weather. Getting colder. Icy conditions? Would Saturday be better?

Last, costs. Not crazy to pay-out $100. for us to spend 4 hours skiing a couple trails on bad snow. Some resorts have discounted tickets and/or charge less for lifts only to the lower, beginners trails. Is it possible to "dicker" for a discount?

Thanks for helping-out a couple newcomers -- much appreciated!!

Mike

mattchuck2
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
I would imagine that Whiteface would have more Green terrain open. Plus they might get some snow later this week.

At Gore, you're pretty much limited to Sunway (which had good cover, don't get me wrong) - doesn't allwo for the most variety.

Lbtchnlgs
04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I would imagine that Whiteface would have more Green terrain open. Plus they might get some snow later this week.

At Gore, you're pretty much limited to Sunway (which had good cover, don't get me wrong) - doesn't allwo for the most variety.

Agreed if you are going to stay on the greens. But if you do think that you will be able to make the transition onto blues gore's whole lower mountain will be yours, you should not have a problem with blues.

good luck!

jimmer
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
skied gore fri, sat and sun, the weather was nice the skiing not so great the upper mt. got soft but it was junk on top of ice. lower mt was pretty good, alltough alot of bare spots. with it being warm now with freezing temps toward the end of the week ,not going to be a great weekend. there grooming on the upper mt. was pretty sad. friday was the best day, it was awsome, it just got worse after that. but this might be your last chance of the season , so go get yourself some before its gone , i know ill be there. good luck. 8)

JC7727
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I would go with Whiteface, they could recieve some real snow this weknd.

adkskier
04-04-2007, 03:24 PM
As of Monday, Gore was in better condition. I skied Gore Sat and Whiteface Sun/Mon.. Many bare spots developed very quickly between Sunday and Monday at Whiteface. Watch where the snow (if any) falls. it's rain and freezing rain at Gore right now (4:20pm Weds). Based on the forecast neither mountain will be stellar. Whiteface claims that they are staying open until 4/15, but it's doubtful that they will make it. Gore, as usual, is mum about their plans. Gore management always plays it close to the vest...probably because they make last minute decisions. They just don't seem to undertand that the avid skiers really want to know what's going on.

SKIdds
04-04-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't know anything about Gore, but Whiteface should have some goods left to offer up. We were there through Yesterday. The weekend was great and cover really deteriorated on Monday and Tuesday. But there is still a lot of snow in places on the mountain, and if they get some new snow it should be nice. Pick a warmer day so things aren't too hard after the coming freeze.

I would imagine Whiteface will at least have Easy Street and Boreen open from the Face Lift for a long beginner run. As for intermediate runs that a beginner looking to transition can handle if the conditions are soft and the traffic is low.....Upper and Lower Valley off the Face Lift and Excelsior off the Gondola are very nice. My daughter loved those on Tuesday and the snow should hold even if the current storm doesn't pan out.

I think Whiteface will make it to the 15th, but things will be very thin by then if there is no new snow.

SKIdds
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I skied Gore Sat and Whiteface Sun/Mon.. Many bare spots developed very quickly between Sunday and Monday at Whiteface.
I'm sure the same was true at Gore.