PDA

View Full Version : Sunday to Tuesday timeframe

freeheelwilly
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
yet another potential snowstorm???? WTF!

SKIdds
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess the question shouldn't have been will they make it to the 15th, but will they stay open beyond the 15th?

SKIdds
04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow, looks like 4-8 inches for Thursday (possibly more at higher elev?!?). Temps might be an issue with the Sunday storm, but again......at elevation who knows?

Wow.....I might have to find a way to get up there on Friday. I'm already scheduled to be off.....and it turns out we don't have to drive to Jersey Friday evening for our daughter's dance competition....so......?

Darn, should I be a bad dad and skip my son's family lunch at school (about 30 minutes eating lunch in his school lunch room) to be selfish and make turns?

sleestak
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
saturday is lookign like temps in teh 50's and maybe sunny??? we may need to think about another end of season tailgate too.

Denison
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/topheadline/2007/snow070410.jpg

jimmer
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
yet another potential snowstorm???? WTF! now that i understand, thanks 8)

freeheelwilly
04-11-2007, 05:42 AM
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/topheadline/2007/snow070410.jpg

That's tomorrow's storm - which is more or less a lock. I'm talkin about this storm on Monday - which is more or less still a fantasy- but so purty to look at:

http://models.easternuswx.com/gfs/GFS_00_opNA_P1KS_126.gif

It's been trending south but it's HUGE and if it comes back North we could see something that we talk about for the rest of our lives.

And dude, accuweather? Please. You could throw a dart and do better than those guys.

SKIdds
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
From a skiing standpoint, a Sunday thru Tues storm, if it happens, isn't much to get excited about unless you think it would prompt managment to keep the lifts turning past the 15th.

tjf67
04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
If we get snow I am hoping and almost assuming they will keep them spinning.

freeheelwilly
04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
From a skiing standpoint, a Sunday thru Tues storm, if it happens, isn't much to get excited about unless you think it would prompt managment to keep the lifts turning past the 15th.

:roll: :roll: Posuer. Tucks? Marcy? Lyon Mountain? Avalanche Pass? Any other BC you can think of? Not to mention the skinnin' and grinnin' possibilities @ WF even if they do close the lifts. There's a big wide world out there. Open your mind.

sleestak
04-11-2007, 08:43 AM

i wouldnt assume that.

AdironRider
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Even if they did get dumped on it would be the most deserted pow day on record if you ask me. Most working stiffs have already alloted up their vacation time for previous trips etc. It just isnt profitable for the Face to stay open any longer really midweek. Sucks for us diehards, but it keeps the mtn out of the red.

SKIdds
04-11-2007, 08:58 AM

:roll: :roll: Posuer. Tucks? Marcy? Lyon Mountain? Avalanche Pass? Any other BC you can think of? Not to mention the skinnin' and grinnin' possibilities @ WF even if they do close the lifts. There's a big wide world out there. Open your mind.
Yeah, yeah.....I assumed that would be your response, but I'm looking for a day trip at this point. A 6 hour drive to Pinkham Notch does not fit the bill, even though I'd have no aversion to the hike. I don't know anything about BC on Marcy or Lyon.....posuer that I am ;).

I wouldn't assume WF keeps the lifts turning if there is more snow. Would be nice, but I doubt it.

tjf67
04-11-2007, 09:03 AM

i wouldnt assume that.

We need a state of the face address.

freeheelwilly
04-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Yeah, yeah.....I assumed that would be your response, but I'm looking for a day trip at this point. A 6 hour drive to Pinkham Notch does not fit the bill, even though I'd have no aversion to the hike. I don't know anything about BC on Marcy or Lyon.....posuer that I am ;).

I wouldn't assume WF keeps the lifts turning if there is more snow. Would be nice, but I doubt it.

So what you really meant was "From a [lift served] standpoint [at whiteface], a Sunday thru Tues storm, if it happens, isn't much to get excited about unless you think it would prompt managment to keep the lifts turning past the 15th." Because there will be ski areas that stay open and that this storm will help out and this will help out the BC possibilities. (If it comes in as hoped.)

Don't mind me. I'm just surly today. 8)

SKIdds
04-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Just today? ;)

Yes, I could have said what I said YOUR way, but since this is a Whiteface Mountain (aka lift serviced) discussion forum the less surly of those around got the point.

Yes, these stroms will keep a lot of areas skiable for a while (enjoy them), although a lot of lift serviced hills are scheduled to shut down this weekend.

SKIdds
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
A 100-Year Storm Possible...
As this storm continues on its eastward trek, it will produce snow in the Northeast as the weekend comes to a close. This storm has potential to become a 100-year storm for many areas across the Northeast. The storm will move to the mid-Atlantic coast by Sunday night and rapidly strengthen. In addition, the storm will just sit for about 36 hours, resulting in a long duration of rain, wind and snow across much of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic. In regards to the snow, the upper potential accumulation could be 3 feet across parts of New York and Pennsylvania.

Ok, so this is from an analyst on Accuweather and I don't think it will be THIS big.......but the storm coming across for late this weekend is a monster. It will sure be interesting to see what happens, and where the rain/snow lines set up.

SKIdds
04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow........Now NOAA and Weather.com are predicting in the range of 15 to 30 inches.

See you Friday.

AdironRider
04-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Im renting or demoing gear on friday if this really puts out. Its dumping rain here at SLU right now, and its all snow at the mtn. Holy hell, this season just wont end!

Denison
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
check out the Tables:

http://www.orda.org/WFCam.jpg

tjf67
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I bet there is three times the amount up top. May be even 4 times

SKIdds
04-16-2007, 10:02 AM
What we need are some eyes at/near the mountain today to let us know if the precip is staying snow, or mixing with sleet, freezing rain, or.........gasp.......rain. There is a whole lot of green on the precip maps over the Dacks and all of Vermont. Mount Washington is current seeing freezing rain up top at the observatory. The mix they are getting is going to create some dicey avy conditions after this storm moves off.

Here's to hoping that Whiteface avoids the mixed bag they are currently reporting in Placid and any rain and keeps it all white.

tjf67
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
What we need are some eyes at/near the mountain today to let us know if the precip is staying snow, or mixing with sleet, freezing rain, or.........gasp.......rain. There is a whole lot of green on the precip maps over the Dacks and all of Vermont. Mount Washington is current seeing freezing rain up top at the observatory. The mix they are getting is going to create some dicey avy conditions after this storm moves off.

Here's to hoping that Whiteface avoids the mixed bag they are currently reporting in Placid and any rain and keeps it all white.

I dont think anyone knows what it is doing up top. It would be my guess it turned over to rain around 9 this morning. We got about a foot in LP but it did not start accumulating until about 5 last night. The top of the mountain got about 6 to 8 before I left yesterday at 4:15. I would say they 2 feet up top before it changed to rain.