PDA

View Full Version : Skiing for 6-year old

Denison
05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
My stepson will be 6 in October, he is doing very good on beginner terrain, like Kids Kampus trails, Boreen on Whiteface. I'd say he is "strong begginer" in adult terms.

At Whiteface we like no lines at Face Lift / Kids Kampus and uncrowded beginner terrain I would not take him to Excelsior, only because we arrive too late.

Does Gore offer more or less of a Green/easy Blue terrain? How crowded is it during holidays?

I did not ski Gore this season, have a good Topridge memories though...

Adk Keith
05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
My girlfriend re-started skiing after 20 years and was a rank beginner on tele's at the begining of this season. Though I live 10 min from Gore, we actually went to WF early on until Gore got Sunway open. Even then, that's about it for Gore as far as Green terrain. There is one on the North Chair, but that always opens late. (I never thought about this much till this year.)

Intermediate and expert terrain is where Gore really shines. Lots of blue squares of all levels open pretty quickly and what's nice is that they cover the mountain, so I can go bang down a black diamond and can meet her on Headwaters or Woodlot.

So to answer your question- Blues Yes, Greens not so much.

By next year he will be good to go on Intermediate terrain.

Keith

Harvey44
05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe I'm having a hard time remembering being a beginner, but when I started skiing (tele, never have alpined) they always opened Showcase first - steppest blue on the lower mountain. And while that was a bit daunting, the snowaking was really lame then.

I think a hot shot beginner can handle most of the lower (blue) mountain.

My wife is in a really wierd category. You'd never call her an intermediate but she can ski the single blacks - Open Pit, Chatie and the Hawk. Same scrapy style that she has on Sunway. Wierdest thing.

Mark

midwestblues
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Just a little off the topic but I think if you purchase a season pass for him before his October birthday, it will only cost $25 - I was told that it doesn't matter that he will be 7 most of the ski season, just his age when the pass was purchased. My boys are now 9 and 11 and they both learned to ski at Gore. You step son will have no problem finding enough easy blues to ski at Gore.
Eric

midwestblues
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Tough to beat the price - by this summer and the kid can ski all next season for $30. Enjoy
Eric

Denison
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Just a little off the topic but I think if you purchase a season pass for him before his October birthday, it will only cost $25 - I was told that it doesn't matter that he will be 7 most of the ski season, just his age when the pass was purchased. My boys are now 9 and 11 and they both learned to ski at Gore. You step son will have no problem finding enough easy blues to ski at Gore.
Eric

He's 5 now, will be 6, so we're good for this year