PDA

View Full Version : helmets

jackstraw
05-02-2007, 01:47 PM
i noticed a lot of you guys aren't sporting helmets over there...what gives?

Phineas
05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I started wearing a helment this season. I liked it. warmer and getting whacked w/ low hanging branches doesnt hurt. also less goggle fog issues.

dropped the helment for the spring, sunny days though. needed to work on my facial tan! chicks dig tan man! 8)

jackstraw
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I started wearing a helment this season. I liked it. warmer and getting whacked w/ low hanging branches doesnt hurt. also less goggle fog issues.

dropped the helment for the spring, sunny days though. needed to work on my facial tan! chicks dig tan man! 8)

i took a branch off the nogin at jay this yr. id say the helmet has saved me from some hurt about 3-4 times in 9 yrs now. they do get hot, but i promised myself to always wear one for my kids sake.

oldskibum
05-02-2007, 03:00 PM
They definately save much trouble, I shattered one in '05 while running NASTAR, Dr. said it saved my life, for sure! Been through THREE in the 12 yrs. or so that I have been wearing one. Wouldn't get caught dead without one!! (pun intended) They certainly do get warm on bluebird spring days though.

highpeaksdrifter
05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I was skiing pow on top of ice moguals about a month ago on U. Cloudspin. I hit one under the snow and the impact spun me around backwards and my head snapped back. Bang, back of head on jagged ice. It still stunned me, but I got up and skied away. This was my first year full time in a helmet.

I almost went baseball cap for the Slides on that beautiful sunny weekend you are referring to, but I kept the helmet on cause I was thinking about the Cloudspin fall.

SKIdds
05-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I started wearing a couple of years ago to set an example for the kids. Hard to tell them to if I wasn't. I actually like it now, keeps you warm and you forget you have it. Haven't needed it's protection yet, but I'm glad it's there.

Like Phin...I went helmetless for some of the spring days, on easier trails. I did don the pack so I could wear the helmet in the Slides, on Empire, stuff like that, but otherwise I stowed it and it was hat and sunglasses in April.

sleestak
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM
i wear a helmet, but didnt on those super warm days near the end. toasty warm and i can plug my ipod into it. helmets are good with ipods because the music isnt so loud and you can still hear people around you---if you want to that is. the day i fell in the half pipe i wasnt wearing it, but i should have. saved me from getting stabbed by a tree branch in the glades though a couple of times.

freeheelwilly
05-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I was skiing pow on top of ice moguals about a month ago on U. Cloudspin. I hit one under the snow and the impact spun me around backwards and my head snapped back. Bang, back of head on jagged ice. It still stunned me, but I got up and skied away. This was my first year full time in a helmet.

I almost went baseball cap for the Slides on that beautiful sunny weekend you are referring to, but I kept the helmet on cause I was thinking about the Cloudspin fall.

I remember that cloudspin fall - you seemed pretty wigged out. Cloudspin was nasty that day. The next day was Easter. It hammered up there all night and all day. Harold and I had it to ourselves. What a difference a day made - it was awesome knee deep fluff and just kept getting better!

I want to go skiing. :cry:

sleestak
05-02-2007, 04:11 PM

I remember that cloudspin fall - you seemed pretty wigged out. Cloudspin was nasty that day. The next day was Easter. It hammered up there all night and all day. Harold and I had it to ourselves. What a difference a day made - it was awesome knee deep fluff and just kept getting better!

then lets get some dry suits and go this weekend! there are a few crazies on lake flower already. dry suits and fleece too.

freeheelwilly
05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I have a drysuit and don't think I wasn't thinkin about it. I'm more worried about debris in the water this time of year.

NPN
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM

You can always drop in to see all of your buddies for Kmart's closing weekend.

sleestak
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I have a drysuit and don't think I wasn't thinkin about it. I'm more worried about debris in the water this time of year.

true - if you have trouble spotting large sand bars with trees on them, i would hate to witness a little debris in the h2o

whitefaceman
05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
i havnt ever skied w/o one

AdironRider
05-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Helmets are big, awkward, uncomfortably hot. You can say all you want about safety but those are 3 major gripes that will always exist.

That and the fact that if your going as fast as most experts ski, a helmet is only going to make for an open casket funeral.

highpeaksdrifter
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Helmets are big, awkward, uncomfortably hot. You can say all you want about safety but those are 3 major gripes that will always exist.

That and the fact that if your going as fast as most experts ski, a helmet is only going to make for an open casket funeral.

I use to feel the same way, but mine saved me from a head injury this season.

OldSkiBum has literally broken 2 in serious falls.

To each his own, but I've been converted.

NPN
05-11-2007, 03:40 PM

If you're talking five years ago, you'd be correct. But now it's almost endless options when it comes to venting, hard ears, soft ears, removable ears, thickness of shell, thickness of padding, wicking, and heat controling liners, etc., etc..

To each his/her own, but you might want to take another look.

In my opinion it beats the hell out of any kind of hat as far as comfort is concerned, and I sure don't mind the little extra piece of mind that goes with it.

AdironRider
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Ill add that I do own a helmet, and do wear it sometimes. I wore it pretty much the entire time I was in Jackson, on icy days at the face, or going off stuff in the park. I realize there are many different options out there (I tried em all when I bought mine last summer); I just cant get one thats comfortable. Ill admit I have an unusually tall, yet narrow, mellon though. Either way, I cant bring myself to wear one when Im ripping perfect pow, or spring corn, etc on an average day. Sure Im tempting fate, but Im tempting fate driving to work everyday as well. I have confidence in my abilities and my equipment, facets of our sport that I feel are much more important than a helmet, considering that Im a proficient, "expert" rider.

I sure wish I had one when I was younger though!!! Man when I was learning I cracked my head all the time.

NPN
05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I just cant get one thats comfortable. Ill admit I have an unusually tall, yet narrow, mellon though.

And that's the buzzkill with helmos. If it's not comfy, it totally sucks!

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-14-2007, 04:09 AM
To each his own regarding wearing helmets. I don't think people who don't wear them are inherently more reckless skiers/riders, so one's choice not to wear one doesn't seem to affect me one way or another. But, if we found out that resorts could lower their insurance rates (and our ticket prices) if they mandate helmet wearing, I'll be the first one to demand everyone wear one!

I choose to wear a helmet because of something that happened at Whiteface a couple seasons back. I was skiing with a bunch of friends when I fell and got a concussion. Not only did I not ski with my buddies for the rest of the day, but, even worse, I was nauseated to the point of not being able to tip back a couple at Cloudspin Lounge! I swore to always wear a helmet after that day.

Tsavolion
05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Ill admit I have an unusually tall, yet narrow, mellon though.

you might need to post a pic conehead

AdironRider
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I would, but Im growing an afro right now. Figure if I have a year before grad school and a career, Im growing my hair as long as possible.

Phineas
05-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I would, but Im growing an afro right now. Figure if I have a year before grad school and a career, Im growing my hair as long as possible.

that's cool! I grew my hair out last year. people at work were not thrilled but chicks dig it!

Denison
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
my hair don't grow well .....at all

waaaaa :(

sleestak
05-15-2007, 01:34 PM

that's cool! I grew my hair out last year. people at work were not thrilled but chicks dig it!

calling you boufante the gay lounge singer wasnt a stretch. chicks dig gay lounge singers.