PDA

View Full Version : Article

takeahike46er
05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.wnbz.com/main.htm

ORDA SECURES LOAN FOR WHITEFACE, GORE PROJECTS

The Olympic Regional Development Authority has secured a multi-million dollar loan to cover major capital upgrades at Whiteface and Gore Mountain Ski Centers.

ORDA President and CEO Ted Blazer told the authority’s Board of Directors on Tuesday that they’ve secured $8 million in tax-exempt financing at 4.24 percent interest. Payments will be made twice a year over ten years.

Gore’s share of the funding will be used for a new learning center, base lodge renovations, an employee center and more parking. The money will also cover the first year of expenses associated with the Lookout Mountain Expansion at Whiteface, formerly called the Tree Island Pod project.

Blazer said they expect the capital projects will lead to more visitors and increased revenues, something he said happened with the improvements at Whiteface that were built for the Winter Goodwill Games. “We started to see a spike in our revenues and every time we’ve made some improvements to the infrastructure, there’s been a spike in revenues,” he said. “With some of the plans we’re doing now, we’re looking at an additional spike in revenue.”

Blazer delivered a presentation to the board, outlining specifics of the Whiteface project including construction of four new trails and a new triple-lift to the right of the slides. Three are expert trails and one is a long intermediate trail. 52 acres of hardwood forest will also be opened up for glade skiing as part of the plan.

Blazer also said ORDA will rebuild the Porcupine Lodge at the top of Lookout Mountain. The structure was last used in the 1940’s as part of the Marble Mountain Ski Area.

Whiteface Manager Jay Rand called it one of the most important projects Whiteface has ever done. “It will add a whole new dimension,” he said. “Especially the big intermediate trail, it’s going to provide something we’re lacking – a good cruising trail. It will be like a wilderness experience for our visitors. The intermediate skier is your biggest group. If you keep those people happy they’re going to keep coming back.”

Rand described it as a very involved, two-year project. He hopes to get the intermediate trail and the lift line cut this year. No construction will take place above 2800 feet until after August 1 to protect the habitat of the rare Bicknell’s Thrush.

Whiteface crews will also be working on other projects this summer including the second phase of the Kids Campus Lodge expansion, upgrades to the maintenance garage area and pump house improvements.

A resolution to accept the $8 million loan was approved unanimously. The ORDA Board is scheduled to meet again June 19.

oldskibum
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
46er, thanks for the article. That is really great news, and certainly will make a big difference at "the face". I never thought that I would see it in my "skilife" time. Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work!!! I'M READY!!!!

NPN
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Where exactly is this Porcupine Lodge, and what, if anything, is left of it?

highpeaksdrifter
05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Here's another article, basically the same stuff as the first one.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homepage/local_story_124233052.html

AdironRider
05-08-2007, 10:50 AM
So they say the mtn should open in 1009. Does that mean the 2008-2009 ski season or the 2009-2010 ski season? Ill be back in the area for the 08-09 season as of right now...

highpeaksdrifter
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I was told 08/09

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Whiteface Manager Jay Rand called it one of the most important projects Whiteface has ever done. “It will add a whole new dimension,” he said. “Especially the big intermediate trail, it’s going to provide something we’re lacking – a good cruising trail. It will be like a wilderness experience for our visitors. The intermediate skier is your biggest group. If you keep those people happy they’re going to keep coming back.”

[/i]

I'm not sure I agree with Jay's explanation here. What about Paron's Run? Excelsior? Can't intermediates already enjoy nearly top-to-bottom intermediate cruisers with over 3,000 vertical?

What will WF say in '09? "Come to Whiteface and ski our new terrain. We FINALLY have a good intermediate run for you!!"

I can't imagine Whiteface's marketing people are on board with this characterization of WF.