PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Lodge

NPN
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
As I asked in the "Article" thread can anyone give me anymore information on this structure?

In particular, I was wondering what, if anything, of the original lodge still exists, and, if so, where?

freeheelwilly
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
As I asked in the "Article" thread can anyone give me anymore information on this structure?

In particular, I was wondering what, if anything, of the original lodge still exists, and, if so, where?

A friend of mine who used to be on ski patrol and is now a DEC ranger told me that he's been there a lot about 15-20 years ago. i think they even dragged a wood stove or furnace down from the road for heat. Pretty sure a few of them stayed up there overnight a few times. I think it's mostly still intact. I can ask him more about it - he told me this a while back. I've never seen it. And I don't know where it is exactly. We'll all know soon enough.

NPN
05-08-2007, 01:55 PM

A friend of mine who used to be on ski patrol and is now a DEC ranger told me that he's been there a lot about 15-20 years ago. i think they even dragged a wood stove or furnace down from the road for heat. Pretty sure a few of them stayed up there overnight a few times. I think it's mostly still intact. I can ask him more about it - he told me this a while back. I've never seen it. And I don't know where it is exactly. We'll all know soon enough.

Thanks for that, and yeah, I'd love to hear anything more he has to say on the subject.

I'm hoping to get enough info so I can hike up, and see it before it gets demoed.

Over ten years of being around Whieface, and I never even knew it existed.

SnowyOwl
05-09-2007, 07:53 AM
You can see the shelter on topo maps:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.36588&lon=-73.90265&datum=nad83&u=4&layer=DRG25&size=l&s=24

Notice the old trail is also visible. From what I have seen, the old trail becomes the new intermediate run with a pitch similar to Parron's.

I feel lucky. My two favorite ski areas are addind lifts: Lookout mountain at Whiteface and the Montezuma bowl at A-Basin. I walked over the cornice yesterday to get a good look at the Montezuma bowl. It looks awsome.

NPN
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You can see the shelter on topo maps:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.36588&lon=-73.90265&datum=nad83&u=4&layer=DRG25&size=l&s=24

Notice the old trail is also visible. From what I have seen, the old trail becomes the new intermediate run with a pitch similar to Parron's.

I feel lucky. My two favorite ski areas are addind lifts: Lookout mountain at Whiteface and the Montezuma bowl at A-Basin. I walked over the cornice yesterday to get a good look at the Montezuma bowl. It looks awsome.

Have you ever hiked back into the Lodge, and, if so, by what route?

snowman
05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
check the black and white arial pics at http://maps.live.com. Search for Whiteface Mt, NY. Then zoom in. You can see the old trail. I can't make out the lodge, but it does sound like a cool hike this summer.

NPN
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM
check the black and white arial pics at http://maps.live.com. Search for Whiteface Mt, NY. Then zoom in. You can see the old trail. I can't make out the lodge, but it does sound like a cool hike this summer.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, but I couldn't get the two search boxes to offer up a result no matter what I put in. Could you offer any advice?

SnowyOwl
05-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I made a mistake on my previous post. The intermediate trail will be located along the ridge immediately to the north and run down all the way to kids campus.

The old trail is either a new black diamond run and/or part of the lift line.

As for the shelter, it probably is small and would be hard to see on aerial pictures.

snowman
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, but I couldn't get the two search boxes to offer up a result no matter what I put in. Could you offer any advice?

Windows live is a little weird...
Make sure "Maps" is selected under the search box. HTH

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I made a mistake on my previous post. The intermediate trail will be located along the ridge immediately to the north and run down all the way to kids campus.

Yeah, I think that's right. It should be a fun novelty run, but I think WF isn't right that it will relieve a lot of pressure from Excelsior. To ski the run more than once, skiers will need to ride the high-speed quad AND the new fixed-grip triple. I just don't see a lot of people doing that to just ski one trail (from LWF people can choose a couple of intermediate runs).

The expert runs and glades will be great for experts, but it's not as if they don't have enough terrain on the mountain. And with WF reaching its 25 mile limit, the only realistic option to increase intermediate terrain will come at the expense of existing expert terrain (wither Empire?).

tjf67
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I think that's right. It should be a fun novelty run, but I think WF isn't right that it will relieve a lot of pressure from Excelsior

They already relieved the pressure on Excelsior. Have you skied the face this year?

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-11-2007, 04:41 AM
They already relieved the pressure on Excelsior. Have you skied the face this year?

What I was referring to was Jay Rand's point that the new intermediate run addresses a need at Whiteface (more intermediate terrain). My point was that I doubt Excelsior/John's Bypass will be noticeably less busy since, in my opinion, not many skiers will repeatedly take two lifts to ski one trail. I think people would rather ride the gondola and ski the blues of off Little Whiteface.

In other words, if the terrain allowed them to do so, Lookout Mountain should have had at least one blue run from the top to the bottom of the new lift.

Phineas
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM

What I was referring to was Jay Rand's point that the new intermediate run addresses a need at Whiteface (more intermediate terrain). My point was that I doubt Excelsior/John's Bypass will be noticeably less busy since, in my opinion, not many skiers will repeatedly take two lifts to ski one trail. I think people would rather ride the gondola and ski the blues of off Little Whiteface.

In other words, if the terrain allowed them to do so, Lookout Mountain should have had at least one blue run from the top to the bottom of the new lift.

the new intermediate terrian will 4sure spread riders out and drastically reduce traffic on excelsior. intermediates like to ride lifts and the fixed grip triple will limit the number of skiers on mtn. having two long intermediate options will certainly decrease congestion.

If U study the contour map I think U will see not much option for intermediate trail on Lookout

NPN
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
"Fixed grip", does that just mean like every other lift on the mountain other than the Face Lift, and gondi, or is it something different?

AdironRider
05-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah it basically means that. Fixed grips chairs run at a constant speed, regardless of whether your loading, riding etc. The chair is fixed to the cable at a set, unwavering position, hence the "fixed grip" name. This is opposed to the gondi and face lift, which when loading or unloading detach from the main cable onto a slower, easier to load postiton, then reattach to the high speed cable for the ride up. Hope that makes sense.

NPN
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah it basically means that. Fixed grips chairs run at a constant speed, regardless of whether your loading, riding etc. The chair is fixed to the cable at a set, unwavering position, hence the "fixed grip" name. This is opposed to the gondi and face lift, which when loading or unloading detach from the main cable onto a slower, easier to load postiton, then reattach to the high speed cable for the ride up. Hope that makes sense.

Got it. Well said, and thanks.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-14-2007, 04:00 AM
the new intermediate terrian will 4sure spread riders out and drastically reduce traffic on excelsior. intermediates like to ride lifts and the fixed grip triple will limit the number of skiers on mtn. having two long intermediate options will certainly decrease congestion.

If U study the contour map I think U will see not much option for intermediate trail on Lookout

Let's hope so. It'll be great if it works that way. Having Porcupine Lodge on top of Lookout should help. My only point was that, when faced with the choice of a nice ride on the gondola or two lifts (one being a fixed grip), I'd bet most people will stick to the gondola.

I think you're right, also, regarding not being able to have an intermediate trail return to the base of the new triple. I guess you could maybe cut a cat track type trail that would cut back to the base of the triple from the intermediate run, but that probably wouldn't be a lot of fun or a nice trail.

Phineas
05-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd bet most people will stick to the gondola.

very legitimate point. On cold, windy days gondi will always be lift of choice and for some the only choice regardless.

However, we really will see people spread out alot more w/ this expansion. Experts will have two lift choices and be able to stay up top so the mixing of intermediates and experts will continue to thin.

Still hoping we can "transfer" some glades from Lookout Mtn to the woods between Empire and Upper Mac. that area faces north as well, and is pretty thin once U get 200 feet or so off of approach. Plus its loaded w/ ledges! Fun stuff.

AdironRider
05-15-2007, 11:35 AM
That area is pretty awesome, much like the area between Upper Mac and Upper Wilderness. Dont tell anyone though.

I really think the biggest draw of the Lookout expansion is going to be the Porcupine Lodge. Think about it, Whiteface not only gets legitimate terrain, but theyll actually have a lodge with a view. My other season pass is at Cannon/Gunstock and both have nice lodges at the summit with outstanding views. Its awesome to hang out/ warm up/ drink beer/ BBQ. Mid station just doesnt cut it for me at the Face.

Phineas
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I really think the biggest draw of the Lookout expansion is going to be the Porcupine Lodge. Think about it, Whiteface not only gets legitimate terrain, but theyll actually have a lodge with a view. My other season pass is at Cannon/Gunstock and both have nice lodges at the summit with outstanding views. Its awesome to hang out/ warm up/ drink beer/ BBQ. Mid station just doesnt cut it for me at the Face.

your slope cred just bottomed out man...

sleestak
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM

your slope cred just bottomed out man...

http://upload8.postimage.org/359815/banana.gif (http://upload8.postimage.org/359815/photo_hosting.html)

AdironRider
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Come on, you know your going to enjoy springtime BBQ's at the Pine once its open. I love the local, lets hang out, party and ski attitude that Gore has at the summit every sping. We all know the terrain should be awesome, but Im really pumped for this.

Phineas
05-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Come on, you know your going to enjoy springtime BBQ's at the Pine once its open.

didnt say I wouldnt enjoy an adk warming hut type structure, I'm saying that I am into rippin new terrian and the lodge thing is way down on my priority meter. It will be cool and the masses will love it but it will not be my biggest draw as U claimed it would be yours...

that admission on your part dropped your slope cred w/ me. so grow your FRO and get ready to get dropped 08-09 :shock: :o :lol: 8)