PDA

View Full Version : Windmill

NPN
05-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I just heard about Jiminy Peak's plans to put one on top of their mountain. It's supposed to generate enough electricity to run not only all of their lifts, but most of their base facilities as well. Clearly they don't get anywhere near the amount, or intensity of wind that happens with great regularity at Whiteface so, does anyone know if the idea has ever been discussed for Whiteface?

highpeaksdrifter
05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I just heard about Jiminy Peak's plans to put one on top of their mountain. It's supposed to generate enough electricity to run not only all of their lifts, but most of their base facilities as well. Clearly they don't get anywhere near the amount, or intensity of wind that happens with great regularity at Whiteface so, does anyone know if the idea has ever been discussed for Whiteface?

I don't know, but considering the trouble over the years to get enough cell phone towers inside the park, I'd imagine it would be tough to get a big windmill up.

NPN
05-17-2007, 03:27 PM

I don't know, but considering the trouble over the years to get enough cell phone towers inside the park, I'd imagine it would be tough to get a big windmill up.

No doubt that that crowd would certainly weigh in, but I figured what with the Castle, road, Weather Station, and assorted lifts already in place it's not like you're asking to destroy the harmony of some virgin Adirondack peak.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-18-2007, 04:21 AM

No doubt that that crowd would certainly weigh in, but I figured what with the Castle, road, Weather Station, and assorted lifts already in place it's not like you're asking to destroy the harmony of some virgin Adirondack peak.

I'd imagine that super, ultra-cheap electricity for Whiteface would result in a LOT more snowmaking! And less pollution. Win-win for everyone.

highpeaksdrifter
05-18-2007, 08:13 AM

I'd imagine that super, ultra-cheap electricity for Whiteface would result in a LOT more snowmaking! And less pollution. Win-win for everyone.

I like the idea too. All businesses need to come up with creative ways to get green. I just think that some enviromentalists will have a fit if a 375 feet tall wind turbine like the one going in at Jiminy Peak was proposed inside the ADK park.

tjf67
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM

I like the idea too. All businesses need to come up with creative ways to get green. I just think that some enviromentalists will have a fit if a 375 feet tall wind turbine like the one going in at Jiminy Peak was proposed inside the ADK park.
You have as much a chance as flying as you do getting one of those things in the park. Does not matter that it makes sense.

jackstraw
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
someone with more knowlege should post here...but, when i lived out in cali they were tearing down windmills because the maintenace costs outweighed the energy they produced. maybe the technology is better now. windmills obviously have a lot of moving parts that must be maintained.

sleestak
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM

You have as much a chance as flying as you do getting one of those things in the park. Does not matter that it makes sense.

exactly - it will never ever happen. but there are other sources of alt power that would make sense in that area.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-18-2007, 10:38 AM

375 FEET!!?!! Ouch. OK, that'll never happen on the APA's watch. But, how about a series of smaller windmills?

I wonder what weight the State of New York could throw around at the APA, since it owns and operates Whiteface. Maybe the State could take the moral high ground by earmarking the savings on electricity at Whiteface for the acquisition of private wetlands in the Park (thereby fulfilling one of the Park's main missions through the marginal additional development of an already heavily developed area).

The Veterans' Memorial Highway was built after the Blue Line was put in place, and the environmental benefit of the observatory is pretty marginal when compared to the highway's and buildings' effect on the environment.