PDA

View Full Version : Whiteface Likes

highpeaksdrifter
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
There are many reasons why I love Whiteface, but I thought I’d start a thread where the responders pick a single thing that they like about it.

This is a tough call for me, but I’m going with the lack of crowds. I often here people complain about long lift lines at places like Kmart, Stowe, Tremblant etc. and how they have different strategies for skiing certain parts of the mountain at different times of the day to stay ahead of the crowd. It’s just nice not to have to worry about that at WF.

I have several friends who grew up in the WF/LP area. It cracks me up when one of them will complain about a 10 minute gondi wait on a day when its freezing out and everybody wants to ride it. I grew up skiing Hunter Mt. so I know a little about crowded lift lines.

tjf67
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
No lift line steep pitches and some of the people that ski here.

What is always funny to me is that I live in LP now and here the locals talk about how they would never ski on the weekends because of the crowds. I have been a weekend warrior my whole life and I never experience lines at the face on the weekends. May be a 10 minute wait to get on the gondi in the am but thats it.

campgottagopee
05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
always considered WF as a "true skiers mountain", so guess that would be what I like most about it. It's not my home mountain, Greek Peak in CNY is, but do make it 5-6 times per year and have been doing so since 1980. That whole mountain is in your face at all times---never lets up on you. :twisted:

Lbtchnlgs
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
always considered WF as a "true skiers mountain", so guess that would be what I like most about it. It's not my home mountain, Greek Peak in CNY is, but do make it 5-6 times per year and have been doing so since 1980. That whole mountain is in your face at all times---never lets up on you. :twisted:

wish i had known that greek was your mountain a few months ago. I got a pass for there while i was going to school at Cortland. No luck next season im staying east

campgottagopee
05-23-2007, 09:58 AM

wish i had known that greek was your mountain a few months ago. I got a pass for there while i was going to school at Cortland. No luck next season im staying east

Bummer----that would be fun. At least we had some really good late snow for that mean 900 ft of vert. :lol:

NPN
05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
[quote="tjf67"]No lift line steep pitches and some of the people that ski here.

That's three, but I can sympathize; it's very difficult to narrow it down to one.

But, for me, without question, it's CONSISTENT VERTICAL PITCH. IMO the only place in the East that skies/rides like Snowbird in that department.

Skier 4 Life
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
I have several friends who grew up in the WF/LP area. It cracks me up when one of them will complain about a 10 minute gondi wait...

Hey HPD, I trust I'm not one of your friends that complain (at least about a 10 minute gondi wait). :wink:

Anyway, since I have considered WF to be my home mountain for the past 29 years, I gotta say its the people who I have met and skiied with all these years that make it my favorite mountain to ski. Some of these same people have become some of the best friends I've had in my life (you know who you are). I can't think of a day that I've skiied WF and not found someone to ski with on a moments notice. I guess thats what makes WF so special to me.

tjf67
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
[quote="NPN"][quote="tjf67"]No lift line steep pitches and some of the people that ski here.

That's three, but I can sympathize; it's very difficult to narrow it down to one.

But, for me, without question, it's CONSISTENT VERTICAL PITCH. IMO the only place in the East that skies/rides like Snowbird in that department.[/quote/]

I would say the only thing that I say compares in the east for vertical pitch is sugarloaf.

NPN
05-23-2007, 02:54 PM
[quote="NPN"][quote=tjf67]No lift line steep pitches and some of the people that ski here.

But, for me, without question, it's CONSISTENT VERTICAL PITCH. IMO the only place in the East that skies/rides like Snowbird in that department.[/quote/]

I would say the only thing that I say compares in the east for vertical pitch is sugarloaf.

I've heard that from a lot of people, but, as I've never skiied it, I couldn't include it in my last comment.

oldskibum
05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I definitely have to say that I like the consistant vertical best, but I also place good friends and small crowds right up there with the vert! I definitely prefer weekday skiing to weekend skiing because during the week you just ski right up to the lift, and load back up!

NPN
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
I have several friends who grew up in the WF/LP area. It cracks me up when one of them will complain about a 10 minute gondi wait...

Hey HPD, I trust I'm not one of your friends that complain (at least about a 10 minute gondi wait). :wink:

Anyway, since I have considered WF to be my home mountain for the past 29 years, I gotta say its the people who I have met and skiied with all these years that make it my favorite mountain to ski. Some of these same people have become some of the best friends I've had in my life (you know who you are). I can't think of a day that I've skiied WF and not found someone to ski with on a moments notice. I guess thats what makes WF so special to me.

Yo, Ess 4-

What ever happened with that snowfields camera???

Skier 4 Life
05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Yo, Ess 4-

What ever happened with that snowfields camera???

It's still out there (somewhere). I plan on taking a hike up there sometime soon to take another look. If you wanna join me, PM me!

highpeaksdrifter
05-24-2007, 08:14 AM

No not you, you're not a complainer.

Good one. Even when the skiing wasn't that good early in the season it was still alot of fun for me hangin with my boyz.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I've always been a big fan of the Whiteface Chili (TM).

And the unmatched continuous vert.

timw
05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Aside from all the great reasons already listed, heres an oddball one:

The view from the top of Skyward on a bluebird day.... First time up there definatly wowed me.... Even better if Skyward is full of fresh though! :D

Jack the Ripper
05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
The trays of beer at the end of the day. And no lift lines.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Aside from all the great reasons already listed, heres an oddball one:

The view from the top of Skyward on a bluebird day.... First time up there definatly wowed me.... Even better if Skyward is full of fresh though! :D

Nothing oddball about that one! Getting off 6 with the High Peaks in plain sight and Skyward beneath the ski tips is pretty amazing. Always wows me. Even better with a temperature inversion.

Denison
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
it's a tough call to pick ONE thing about Whiteface, because there are SO MANY. If I to pick one it would be "because it's better then mountain you're skiing" :twisted:

in the order of preference here's why I love skiing at Whiteface:

- good folks you might share summit quad with & at the same time no crowds, - people (and lack of them)
- Skyward and other black diamond terrain
- great views
- no private development
- olympic heritage & Lake Placid

mattchuck2
06-03-2007, 08:18 AM
The Slides, Empire, Cloudspin, Skyward, and the fact that whenever I go, I can almost always find some bumps somewhere on the mountain.

Also Mountain Run first thing in the morning.