PDA

View Full Version : Lookout Mountain

highpeaksdrifter
05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Lookout Mountain (formerly Tree Island Pod) to begin build-out this summer with completion for 2008-09 season. Featuring 3 expert runs, 1 intermediate run, triple chair, glades, snowmaking, 2200 vertical feet...

That's alot of continuous vert from Lookout. I didn't realize it would be so much. Cool. :D

tjf67
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
The way they are spreading the Hill up is really going to look good from the bottom. It going to look like the stay puff marshmellow man. I really never expected something like that to actually get done.

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
The way they are spreading the Hill up is really going to look good from the bottom. It going to look like the stay puff marshmellow man. I really never expected something like that to actually get done.

Word. I can't think of another mountain that towers over you like Whiteface does. Sugerloaf looks pretty good from far away (from the pix I've seen), but nothing can match the pulling into WF from Rt. 31.

NPN
05-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Is there an internet write up for this project? I looked for something more on the Whiteface site, but just saw those couple of sentences on the home page.

timw
05-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Have to agree with how cool its going to look! The first time the gf and I pulled she looked at me :shock: and said "Holy s--t thats huge!" I laughed but felt the same way. Any other newbs will have a real jaw dropper when this project is complete!

Can't wait to give it a ride, looks like some good times are on the way!!! :D

tjf67
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Is there an internet write up for this project? I looked for something more on the Whiteface site, but just saw those couple of sentences on the home page.

You can look at the ump plan that the APA put out. It easy togoogle

ComeBackMudPuddles
05-25-2007, 07:53 AM

Here's the link: http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf

NPN
05-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Here's the link: http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/wf_ump.pdf

Thanks!

whitefaceman
05-25-2007, 08:19 PM
are they going through with the plan, i didn't qiute understand????? :?: :!:

NPN
05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
are they going through with the plan, i didn't qiute understand????? :?: :!:

Yes.

AdironRider
05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
2200 vert , hot damn cant wait to ride it.

Denison
05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
is the 2200' vertical measuring down to the base?

takeahike46er
05-27-2007, 11:44 AM
No. The 2200' is just the vertical of the new intermediate run. The total vertical from the top of Lookout to the base is around 2800'.

whitefaceman
06-02-2007, 02:34 PM
nice... cant wait

highpeaksdrifter
06-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I copied this from another forum. Interesting look, but I think it makes it look smaller then it actually will be.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/jonpregan/Whitefacenew.jpg

SnowyOwl
06-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Now that shows it nicely. Here are some numbers I scaled from topo maps:

Chair top elevation: 4025-4050 feet,
Bottom of chair: 2475 feet,
Bottom of new blue run: 1800 feet,
Bottom of gondola: 1200 feet.

I just can't wait to ski that blue run top to bottom.It will be an excellent way to warm up before hitting the black diamond trails.

takeahike46er
06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I copied this from another forum. Interesting look, but I think it makes it look smaller then it actually will be.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/jonpregan/Whitefacenew.jpg

You're right about it being smaller than it actually is. First, it would top out slightly higher than shown. Second, the intermediate run travels down the next ridge line over.

NPN
06-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Seems smaller, but I do like the digital blur effect.

harrycanyon
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
This is the obligatory question that's bound to be asked... Aside from skinning up the Toll rd. what kind of access will the top of this new chair give to the slides? Any guesses? Anyone been up to see it? I know it gets pretty sheer on that side, but I'm just not sure where the top of this chair is going to end up.

NPN
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM
This is the obligatory question that's bound to be asked... Aside from skinning up the Toll rd. what kind of access will the top of this new chair give to the slides? Any guesses? Anyone been up to see it? I know it gets pretty sheer on that side, but I'm just not sure where the top of this chair is going to end up.

This is just my opinion; obviously, but if you were going to poach the Slides, which is what you'd be doing if you were to try and access them from the top of the LM lift, it'd be a much tougher bushwack than taking the Summit Quad, and skipping off the ridge after the old Slide access up toward the Castle.

Both will cost you a loss, maybe not a ride in a Statie's cruiser like a trip in from the toll road ( that is if you're caught ) but, even without that part of the equation, the spruce is stupid thick on that ridge line, and where the LM lift ends it's up, and into the next valley to get to the Slide face; talk about earning a turn.