PDA

View Full Version : Best Skis for Whiteface . . .

mattchuck2
07-23-2007, 04:24 PM
What are the best skis for everyday use at whiteface?

Obviously you'd need something that can carve (for hardpack and groomer days), something that can rip bumps for Wilderness and the pristine McKenzie last year), something with a little float (for powder days and slides), and maybe some rock/tree skis (although I stand by my contention that all skis are rock skis eventually).

Can one ski do it all?

I have a two ski quiver that handles almost all of it:

Fischer RX8 (170) for carving (although that brings up the question of whether a GS carver or Slalom Carver is better)
K2 Apache Recon for Soft Snow

Anything deeper than 8 inches, I'm on my fatty tele boards . . .

NPN
07-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, to save the local king of Nordica a little strain on his fingertips, you might want to try a Hot Rod Top Fuel during whatever demo day you find yourself at next early season. It truly deserves the multiple "One Ski Quiver" awards it has received over the last two years. Two sheets of titanium give it more than Volkl-like hold on the hard stuff, and the 78 under foot ( which skis like 65 ) gives you a mid-fat float on the marginal crud/pow/corn days. Crazy quick in a slalom turn, but tons of hold in a big, fat GS screamer. Can't say enough about the entire Nordica line, but this model in particular if you can only buy one ski for next season ( that said, I have no idea what's in the hopper for any of the ski lines next season; this commentary is based on last years latest/greatest ).

But these are strictly an integrated binding system set-up, so sorry to you free heel types ( and, yes, I was too lazy to type it out twice from your other thread ).

St. Jerry
07-24-2007, 07:12 AM
i would suggest these:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nordicskater.com/telemark/remlessh.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nordicskater.com/telemark/index.html&h=315&w=501&sz=22&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=IrooUwOGi8iBpM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dice%2Bskates%2Bskiing%26gbv%3D2%26svn um%3D50%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

tjf67
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
I use the AC4. Its 82 under foot and pretty stiff. It grips wherever i need it to. It is the only ski I used this year. . Bumps, Trees, Hardpack, slides, mush. It smooth on everything.

campgottagopee
07-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I ride on the Top Fuels and imo they are the best all round ski you could ever want on the east coast.

highpeaksdrifter
07-26-2007, 06:22 AM
I ride on the Top Fuels and imo they are the best all round ski you could ever want on the east coast.

Yep, they are tough to beat in the East. I don't know anyone who skis them that doesn't rave about them. Nice review above by NPN.

Nordica introduces the Hellcat to the Hot Rod series this season. 132-90-118. I havn't skied them yet, but have heard good things.

ssface
07-30-2007, 06:23 AM
I have Top Fuels and absolutely love them...on any conditions and at any speed...especially solid and stable at speed!...great ski for WF.

Denison
08-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I will be getting new skis around this Christmas, so let's say I want Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel.

What would be the size for 6'4" 225lb advanced skier: 178 (R17.6) or 186 (R19.4) ?

Are previous years' models any different (besides color) from latest model?
I'd prefer to buy 2-3 year old (not used) skis which is same as current on the inside but cost half as much.

Any recommendations where to buy?

Thanks everyone, September is next and October right after it. I can't wait for summer to be over.

ssface
08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
'Highpeaksdrifter' is the expert on Nordica equipment.
FYI: My Top Fuels are 170's. I am 5'8" and 180lbs...they are plenty long enough for me.
Some ski shops might have last year's left overs or used demo units on hand....check E-Bay too.

campgottagopee
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm 6'4'', 230lbs and mine are 178's. i find them very stable at high speeds especially in the crud. try and demo various lengths before you buy, you may fin a length you like better.

jimmer
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
denison- there are no nordica skis on this site but plenty of head skis, wictch are just as good IMO. try levelninesports.com, they even have -select a ski part- on there that might be of help, good luck

NPN
08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I will be getting new skis around this Christmas, so let's say I want Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel.

What would be the size for 6'4" 225lb advanced skier: 178 (R17.6) or 186 (R19.4) ?

I'd prefer to buy 2-3 year old (not used) skis which is same as current on the inside but cost half as much.

Thanks everyone, September is next and October right after it. I can't wait for summer to be over.

Everybody differs on their opinions as to ski size with the Top Fuel, but, as my experience, and those in the industry who actually designed, and used the ski are concerned: ski this bad boy shorter than you would normally buy.

I am 5'9"/168, and ski a pair of 162s very happily as hard as I can push them, and have never found their limits. I certainly have never felt any lack of stability in the shorter size, and felt no break down in any high speed GS turn I've put them into ( and probably was backing it off from fear long before it was going to break off, or falter on its own ).

Lots of places online, if you do a little research, that meet your criteria, but PM me if you can't come up with anything, and I'll send you some options ( but it'll cost you a tasty apres bev on your next trip to Wface ).

p.s.- Sorry, I forgot to answer your last question: I don't know about this years Top Fuel, but the difference between 05-06, and 06-07 was very slight color changes, and Marker took the piston off the integrated binding for the 06-07.

SKIdds
09-06-2007, 08:26 AM
My new Apache Stryker's will be the best ski for Whiteface for this two planker ;). Moderate waist and sidecut enough to cut carve up the hard stuff, with a wide enough platform to cut the crud and float some powder, all with a bit 'o forgiveness for this aged thirty-somthing.

If I had my druthers and money were no object I'd have sprung for the Recon's with the metal laminate construction for a little more pop, but the Stryker's and their traditional torsion box should suit me just fine. The Recon's are rated 50/50 groomed/ungroomed performance while the Stryker's stand at 60/40. They'll get me where I need to go and then some.

Oh, did I mention that I snagged the Stryker's for a scant $250 (delivered), brand spankin' new with integrated Marker bindings? Gotta luv Ebay. Hard to pass that up and spend close to 2 to 3x as much for the Recon's or a pair of Top Fuels that would only marginally haul my kiester around the mountain better.

highpeaksdrifter
09-06-2007, 10:59 AM

If I where you I'd go 178. Other then the slight graphic change each year they are the same ski.

campgottagopee
09-06-2007, 11:25 AM

I'm 6'4" 230lb and ski the 178---can't even begin to out ski them. They truley rip. My understanding is there is no diff between this years and last years other than the graffics.

dexter
09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
love my top fuels and s my neighbor loves his great all roud even in the deep sonw

Denison
10-02-2007, 11:34 PM
05/06 and 06/07 Top Fuels are gone and nowhere to be found. I guess that means I saved $600...