PDA

View Full Version : M&B?

NPN
09-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey, I just heard through the proverbial grapevine that the Mountain and Boardertown shops are closing down. Anyone got confirmation on this one?

Harvey44
09-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Say it ain't so Joe.

North Creek really needs Boardertown.

NPN
09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Say it ain't so Joe.

North Creek really needs Boardertown.

No, not Joe.

All I can tell you is, after I heard, I went to the website, and all it was about was a 50% across the board ( no pun intended ) sale.

jimmer
09-07-2007, 09:32 PM
it be so , not much left ,better hurry.not sure about the one in L.P is that one going to ?
never cared much for M&B, try the sportspage, in queensbury, nice folks there. nice selection also.

Lbtchnlgs
09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Mountain and Boarder town to close? Just what North Creek needs :x

You would think that with the expansion and condo's going up they would try to stick it out until next season. Maybe a new place is coming in?

Harvey44
09-08-2007, 07:10 AM
NP - maybe you're teasin me but "Joe" is part of the expression - Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I know there may be better deals elsewhere etc. And for guys like Jimmer who live nearby it's no big deal, but when you live up in the creek or spend time there, it's great to be able to pick up Goggles or some item in a pinch. We get gas cannisters for our stove, bought two helmets there, a rain coat...etc, etc, etc. How many towns in the Adks have a climbing wall? Maybe a few...

NPN
09-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Mountain and Boarder town to close? Just what North Creek needs :x

You would think that with the expansion and condo's going up they would try to stick it out until next season. Maybe a new place is coming in?

Absolutely.

There's got to be some other big reason why he's folding. I know the crowd that ran the Placid operation, and no doubt that that store was turnin' a buck. If I remember correctly the money behind it was a Long Island real estate developer, and we all know what's happening in that department.

And Harv, don't worry, you've still got Gore's shoebox of a shop for that occasional emergency ( BTW just playin' with Joe ).

Danzilla
09-10-2007, 10:34 AM
We were in there about a month ago and they are indeed shutting down in January. The guy that owns it is from Glens Falls. He also owns the Copperfield and the M&B up in LP. Apparently the one in NC just hasn't been making money. For some reason they didn't have any rentals last year which I thought was kind of absurd since people who rent always end up buying socks, mitts, etc.

Rumor has it that he will be putting the building on the market for 3 million. Not the entire building - just the M&B part. He also owns the building across the street and that is for sale too - not sure for how much though. I kinda doubt someone is going to put another ski shop in there for that kind of money. Maybe someone will put one in one of the other vacant buildings on main street.

They did have some awesome deals on boards, skis and gear. 50% off of everything. I am hoping that they have saved some stuff for the sidewalk sale in October.

Harvey44
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I miss the days when Phil would tune my skis.

At Gore - can I leave skis at 4 pm for tuning at pick them up at 7:45 the next day? That is the key. And would I have to wait in a line.

jimmer
09-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I miss the days when Phil would tune my skis.

At Gore - can I leave skis at 4 pm for tuning at pick them up at 7:45 the next day? That is the key. And would I have to wait in a line.
fer sure- i do it all the time, most of the time you get a pretty good tune there, but i had a few i had to take back and have redone, but not many.you will even get a pass holders discount. plus its cheaper than m&b.

adkskier
09-20-2007, 07:20 AM
There's nothing left for the October sale. the store looks like the sad end of a garage sale. Last week, the wintersteiger (stone grind) machine was removed by company technicians. the building across the street sold for $139K and the deal already closed. the M&B building is part of the plaza and is available for lease not sale.

NPN
09-20-2007, 01:58 PM
There's nothing left for the October sale. the store looks like the sad end of a garage sale. Last week, the wintersteiger (stone grind) machine was removed by company technicians. the building across the street sold for $139K and the deal already closed. the M&B building is part of the plaza and is available for lease not sale.

Well, that's depressing. It wasn't my favorite ski shop on the planet, but always worth a walk through on any trip into NC.