PDA

View Full Version : Hike Up New Intermediate Trail - Pictures

highpeaksdrifter
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Skier4Life, WhitefaceWilly, Joe and myself hiked up the new intermediate trail Saturday, 9/22. We started up the Stag Brook trail then cut over to the new trail. There are many photos from the hike in the link below.

We thought there would be a straight shot up to the top where the trail begins then we would hike down the expert trail that was cut. It didn’t work out that way. As you’ll see from the photos at the end we came upon part of the trail where the trees are cut, but haven’t been removed yet. We climbed over them and picked up the tree line with orange tape and thought we’d follow it to the top. It then turned to trees with blue tape and after about a half hour it became apparent this line was not leading us to the top. We turned around and went back the way we came.

Here are some different theories for what we think happened. I though that maybe we had wandered into the section that will be the new glades and that’s why the trees where marked. Joe thought it could have been a line that was taped, but they decided to abandon for a different one. Skier4Life thought we should just keep traversing across following the tape. WhitefaceWilly had his GPS system and said we where at 3,300 feet, so we knew we where a ways from the top.

Skier4Life said he’d find out what the deal is on Monday.

One thing we all agreed on is that this is going to be a fantastic addition to Whiteface. Good pitch all the way, at least a dozen turns, and long. This is going to be one kick ass blue trail; you can believe me on that. We all can’t wait to ski it.

If you're new at this double click the first picture then keep clicking the forward arrow on top. That why you don't have to keep double clicking all 20 pictures to have a full screen view.

http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Lookout&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome!

Thanks!! And nice bonus foliage in those pictures, too.

Definitely looks like they'll be some good drops on that blue run!

takeahike46er
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the pics! Looks like that run is going to be a lot of fun.

oldskibum
09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Great pics, HPD!!!! I can just imagine cruising down there in pow about knee deep, blowing back into my face, Oh, what a refreshing feeling!!! Joe looks sort of tired in those pics, but then again he IS geting old too! haha Thanks for the pics.[/b]

highpeaksdrifter
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
:oops: I'm starting to think we hiked up the expert trail instead of the Int. trail. Can anybody straighten this out? Dang.

Skier 4 Life
09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
:oops: I'm starting to think we hiked up the expert trail instead of the Int. trail. Can anybody straighten this out? Dang.

Since I was with you on Sat AM, I know for sure that we hiked the intermediate trail together... its the only one that comes out onto Boreen. BTW, I did t/w mgmt. on Monday and was told that since they hadn't finished cutting the trail we hiked up top, there was no easy way to traverse over to the expert trail that had been cut... at least not yet. You may recall Greg recently posted a pic taken by ORDA on another thread last night... that pic shows one of the expert trails taken from Easy Street near the top of the Face Lift, I think. We definitely didn't go up that one, HPD... too steep and straight compared to the intermediate trail we hiked on Sat.

Hope this clears up any confusion. :wink:

joeanddiane
10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Lookout Mountain with a 1600" vertical rise and a new triple chair, will put Whiteface back in the number ONE stop in the east: Considering every thing else we already have. skyier4life,whitefacewilly,highpeaksdrifter and I all were impressed.
Mountainrunner