PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving weekend best bet: Gore or Whiteface

Denison
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Here is the question for Gore regulars.

If cold weather cooperates, which trails are usually open first weekend of skiing? How is Gore compares to Whiteface (most likely Excelsior will be open) during first weekends of operation?

mattchuck2
09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Ehhh . . . Usually, they open up Topridge, Fox Lair and Wild Air (although this year it might be Ruby Run instead of Fox Lair).

Lbtchnlgs
09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, as far as Thanksgiving weekend, I don't think there is any great place to go. Because Gore is my home mountain I would say go to Gore.

Doubt i'll be there, maybe for a few morning turns

St. Jerry
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
yea, it's not so good at Gore. Bring your rock skis and football pads. And if you go, get there early to get some runs in before it gets too crowded.

Harvey44
09-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Yea EVERYONE go to Whiteface.

NPN
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Yea EVERYONE go to Whiteface.

What Harv was really trying to say is that Gore is the very best there is for early season turns, especially Turkey Day weekend! Bring the friends, and the family!!!

jimmer
09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
no i think what harv is trying to say is everyone should go to W.F,cause gores early season sucks, so why go there. as for me though i cant make it to wf, so i guess ill go to gore to keep harv company. and ill probably go there at least 80 more times this season, and wf maybe 6. so if you see me and ole harv out there, say hey. cause i will be there opening day. :wink:

Denison
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
I'd never thought it's so crowded during first weekends.
Never been skiing in November, first half of December usually half empty. We'll go to Belleayre on opening day and then see how it goes.

NPN
09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I'd never thought it's so crowded during first weekends.
Never been skiing in November, first half of December usually half empty. We'll go to Belleayre on opening day and then see how it goes.

Sure, just make us all feel bad now. I think it's jimmer's fault, mainly, then Harv.

Harvey44
09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Jimmer - we'll have to connect with only one trail open. I'll be wearing my purple jacket and tele gear of course.

09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Ehhh . . . Usually, they open up Topridge, Fox Lair and Wild Air (although this year it might be Ruby Run instead of Fox Lair).

Regardless, it's usually a zoo on those trails (especially on weekends), if for no other reason than everybody (ski patrol, ski school, racing programs, etc.) seem to want to have their preseason training on hill at the same time.

I guess I'd go to Whiteface, but I hear that's no picnic early season either . . .

I went opening day last year at Gore. Got first chair. Topridge was open and begging for injury. I'll shoot myself if Ruby Run opens first. It's so damn slow.

mattchuck2
09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree, it's rough, but I'm thinking they're going to try to get beginners on as soon as they can . . . Ruby to Sunway does that quick.

Harvey44
09-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Matt's right...I'm sure they want to get their money's worth out of the mill they spent blasting out Ruby. Hopefully foxy will come on right after.

jimmer
09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree, it's rough, but I'm thinking they're going to try to get beginners on as soon as they can . . . Ruby to Sunway does that quick.
agreed, but they will probably blow wild-air first, and it is very skinny down toward the bottom, but i think were getting ahead of ourselfs, its gotta get mighty cold first, before they can blow some good snow, hell i remember a few years back when all they had opaned was the super double , for bout a week and a half to start with, boy that was rough skiing that for starters.
ruby run sucks
i hope they blow uncas
i cant wait
b 8)

Harvey44
09-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Ah Jimmer...such a dreamer. Next thing you know your gunna want Fairview open.

I agree it's too damn hot.

jimmer
09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Ah Jimmer...such a dreamer. Next thing you know your gunna want Fairview open.

I agree it's too damn hot. actully thats what i ment [fairview]. cant believe i cant even remember the names of the fricken trails. maybe i need a trail map. :shock: