PDA

View Full Version : pre-Christmas weekend: I chose Whiteface

Denison
10-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I love skiing Christmas day - it never seems crowded. Last year was an exception - we did not go and forfeited $400 deposit. We just reserved a great place for 4 nights and I chose Whiteface over Gore.

Every time we rent I ask myself whether owning a vacation house a better choice. $20K land + $180K house, is it doable in a Wilmington/Jay/Upper Jay area and what do you get for that money?

highpeaksdrifter
10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I love skiing Christmas day - it never seems crowded. Last year was an exception - we did not go and forfeited $400 deposit. We just reserved a great place for 4 nights and I chose Whiteface over Gore.

Every time we rent I ask myself whether owning a vacation house a better choice. $20K land + $180K house, is it doable in a Wilmington/Jay/Upper Jay area and what do you get for that money?

It is possible to pick up an acre to build on in AuSable Acres in Jay. I have a friend who has a house there who is a home builder by trade. Last year he bought 5 lots in the Acres with the intention to build on them. He doesn’t want to build on spec, he wants the buyer to pick and customize the model of their choice, sign a contract, then build it. I’d be happy to put you in touch with him if you like.

I’ve learned a lot about real estate prices in the area in the past year. PM me and I’ll be glad to share it with you.