PDA

View Full Version : Whiteface ranked #3 in the east in SKI mag

AdironRider
10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Due almost entirely to the fact that LP is 9 miles away. Besides that, its still pretty sweet. THey also had a nice article in the mag about a ski trip through the ADK's, but it also focused almost entirely on the lodging. I guess any publicity is good publicity.

Denison
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I wonder how they come up with the rating.

If rating (even in a small way) based on a number of positive responses then Whiteface is at disadvantage: there are not so many skiers at Whiteface as at large VT resort and number of unique visitors is even smaller.

highpeaksdrifter
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Due almost entirely to the fact that LP is 9 miles away. Besides that, its still pretty sweet. THey also had a nice article in the mag about a ski trip through the ADK's, but it also focused almost entirely on the lodging. I guess any publicity is good publicity.

I don't have the article in front of me, but I remember WF did very well in terrain, challenge, lifts and other on mountain catagories that have nothing to do with Lake Placid.

AdironRider
10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
HPD, you are right in the fact that they were ranked #4 in both terrain and lifts. However, the primary focus of the "rundown" given was on the activities provided in LP, as well as the lodging etc with little mention of the actual terrain.

I also found it funny how the "locals tip" was to park at Kids Kampus for easier access, when in reality by the time you ride that slow triple up, then ski back down to the actual base, it takes waaaaaay longer.

Denison
10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I also found it funny how the "locals tip" was to park at Kids Kampus for easier access, when in reality by the time you ride that slow triple up, then ski back down to the actual base, it takes waaaaaay longer.

I used to park at Kids Kampus and take triple until last season, when we usually paid $10 for that little parking lot right next to the base lodge.

DelawareDave
10-13-2007, 09:17 AM

I used to park at Kids Kampus and take triple until last season, when we usually paid $10 for that little parking lot right next to the base lodge.
I've parked at Kids Kampus and just walk up to the traverse that takes you back to the base. It's not that long, and you get a good warm-up as well as a quick check that your equipment ( and body ) works before committing to the big lifts.

NPN
10-13-2007, 10:26 AM

They just didn't want to admit that they actually take the Magic Carpet!

DelawareDave
10-15-2007, 07:18 PM

They just didn't want to admit that they actually take the Magic Carpet!
I did think about it, and it does look like fun. Actually, they should consider a good, old-fashioned rope tow for nostalgia purposes. I'll even bring out my worn leather gloves and boots.