PDA

View Full Version : Check out these spectacular pics

Adirondackskier
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
NYSEF had a roller ski race at Whtieface on Saturday. Here are some pics. They are absolutely unbelievable!!!
So very cool!

http://www.teamtoday.org/Stories/tabid/391/ctl/Details/mid/763/ItemID/1002/Default.aspx [/url]

highpeaksdrifter
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Those pics are great. Do those people ski back down on those wheels? Cause that I'd like to see.

NPN
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
The type of condition the Nordic crowd keep themselves in always amazes me. That loop would've kicked my a** on a bike let alone trying to do it on a pair of xc blades.

Could've done without the inclusion of Hitler Youth Lane though. Bit of a buzzkill to say the least.

Lbtchnlgs
10-15-2007, 09:57 PM
those pictures are beautiful

ComeBackMudPuddles
10-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Could've done without the inclusion of Hitler Youth Lane though. Bit of a buzzkill to say the least.

No kidding. WTF??

Denison
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, what's the Hitler Youth Lane ?

NPN
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM

As you scroll through the pics about half way through, you'll see a shot of a road sign. The road's name is Swastika Road. No competitors, just the road sign. Disturbing enough that there is a municipality somewhere in that little slice of heaven that thought it appropriate to use the name; especially annoying when you're looking for another pic of nordic roller betties, and run into that.

ComeBackMudPuddles
10-17-2007, 07:34 AM

As you scroll through the pics about half way through, you'll see a shot of a road sign. The road's name is Swastika Road. No competitors, just the road sign. Disturbing enough that there is a municipality somewhere in that little slice of heaven that thought it appropriate to use the name; especially annoying when you're looking for another pic of nordic roller betties, and run into that.

It sort of looks like a homemade sign. Some yahoo probably thought it was funny. Or there are psychos in them thar hills.

Denison
10-17-2007, 02:58 PM

It sort of looks like a homemade sign. Some yahoo probably thought it was funny. Or there are psychos in them thar hills.

I checked the map - there is Swastika Rd, which used to take one to tiny village of Swastika.
I bet that place was there before 1920, not sure what's left now.

NPN
10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

I checked the map - there is Swastika Rd, which used to take one to tiny village of Swastika.
I bet that place was there before 1920, not sure what's left now.

Well, for the first time in my young life, I just looked up the word Swastika in a Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. The first definition describes it as a good luck symbol. The second was the one that refers to it being used to signify anti-Semitism, or Nazism.

Regardless of the fact that I can now put a kinder spin on that road being up there, I haven't changed my mind about its inappropriateness in the middle of those race pics. But, then again, when I think back on all the stupid s**t I've done, I'll shut up now.

Denison
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
-Mike Godwin

wondertrev
10-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Honestly, I don't give a damn. The swastika was used by several cultures, including the native Americans. To remove a word because some some evil knuckleheads corrupted it is to ruin the language. But I'm an English prof......

NPN
10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Honestly, I don't give a damn. The swastika was used by several cultures, including the native Americans. To remove a word because some some evil knuckleheads corrupted it is to ruin the language. But I'm an English prof......

Comfortable attitude to take if you never suffered at the "knucklehead" side of it.

I took direct offense because I know a number of business owners in the greater Placid area who fled their native countries because they faced an oven if they didn't.

Always a treat to be "bookish" if you didn't have the experience "prof"!!!

wondertrev
10-28-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm always amazed how some folks want to assert their self-aggrandizing moral superiority by taking offense at events they have absolutely nothing to do with. Some have called it the Oprah effect
Mark Steyn likens it to those driving around with "Free Tibet" sticker on their cars. yet do absolutely nothing about it. They proclaim their sensitivity for all the world to see, but perform no action.

Folks, just relax and enjoy the pictures.