PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Ridge

Harvey44
10-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Anybody know anything about...."guided backcountry tours of Burnt Ridge development?"...mentioned in the flyer they mailed me.

Harv

Adk Keith
10-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Anybody know anything about...."guided backcountry tours of Burnt Ridge development?"...mentioned in the flyer they mailed me.

Harv

Yeah,

You and I sneak over, first run I guide you, next run, you guide me. :D

skimore
10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
[/quote]

Yeah,

You and I sneak over, first run I guide you, next run, you guide me. :D[/quote]

good plan

jimmer
10-25-2007, 08:34 PM
i wanna go too. :lol:

Harvey44
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I am down with that. See you there after the first dump....Keith you know the mountain...that starts as a skin from where? Bottom of the triple?

Lbtchnlgs
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
If only this monsoon was happening in 28 degree temps :cry:

NPN
10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
If only this monsoon was happening in 28 degree temps :cry:

But then this would be the Alta side of the SkiWASATCH forums we'd be posting on.

mattchuck2
10-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I am down with that. See you there after the first dump....Keith you know the mountain...that starts as a skin from where? Bottom of the triple?

Nah, man, you just have to head over from the Twister Entrance to Tahawus Glades. It's on the trail map (or at least the old trail map).

Getting back from the bottom might be a little tricky, though.

Adk Keith
10-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Nah, man, you just have to head over from the Twister Entrance to Tahawus Glades. It's on the trail map (or at least the old trail map).

Exactly! Unless you need more stealth. 8)

Definately need to head to skier's right at some point to aleviate the up hill trudge from below Gorey Gulley. I'm sure a traverse trail will appear.

Danzilla
10-29-2007, 09:24 AM
You can access burnt ridge directly from twister at the sign on the left for "burnt ridge back country" - if it is still there this season. That trail has actually become a work road that they are using for the trail construction. It is a pretty short hike to get to the top of the ridge and you could probably duck into the trees just before so that its not totally obvious.

As for a traverse there was a trail being cut towards the bottom of the main burnt ridge trail that split off to the skier's right. We opted to go left when I hiked down a few weeks ago, but the trail to the right appeared to be heading towards the base lodge. Maybe it will hook up with twister near the bottom? Hopefully it will be close to finished as it is a bit of a hike out from the bottom of the main trail.

mattchuck2
10-29-2007, 07:10 PM
As for a traverse there was a trail being cut towards the bottom of the main burnt ridge trail that split off to the skier's right. We opted to go left when I hiked down a few weeks ago, but the trail to the right appeared to be heading towards the base lodge.

Score.

skimore
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM

or use that path from Tahawus that dumps you at the top of that Tahawus Glade entrance from Twister

skimore
10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Any one ever ski off the north side down to Barton mines. The couple of peeks I took at it the trees appeared to be very dense

Adk Keith
10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
The couple of peeks I took at it the trees appeared to be very dense

It's not.

skimore
10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
The couple of peeks I took at it the trees appeared to be very dense

It's not.

thanks

10-31-2007, 05:59 PM
It is all still skiable.

However, twister is getting thinner and thinner.

adkskier
11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
So the story goes that Burnt Ridge wont have a green trail. This means that green skiers entering from the Ski Bowl wont be able to safely access the main mountain. Does this sound like Bear Mtn all over again? Is this another example of Pratt getting it almost right or as Maxwell Smart would say "almost got it".

jimmer
11-04-2007, 07:56 PM
So the story goes that Burnt Ridge wont have a green trail. This means that green skiers entering from the Ski Bowl wont be able to safely access the main mountain. Does this sound like Bear Mtn all over again? Is this another example of Pratt getting it almost right or as Maxwell Smart would say "almost got it".

as of now there is no acess from the ski bowl to the main mt, theres some talk of connecting them in the future, but not right away. so for now the ski bowl is all by its little ole self down there, witch makes me wonder why will any body bother with it, except maybe the park rats, but i think they will even give up on it after awhile.i dont think there is even a warm lodge to boot up in. last time i was there there was just a pavilion, pretty lame if you ask me. but the burnt ridge deal looks pretty good, only too bad they had to wack up the twister glades.

any one know for sure when they will start to blow snow, and if they have there new equipment ready. and if the new base lodge will be ready? b 8)

11-04-2007, 09:31 PM
The only purpose for skiers over on at the Bowl will be the kids wanting to ski park, and it isn't even worth it to begin with.

However...there is supposed to be a connection in the future...so a green will have to work its way in there.

Someone comment on this sounding like "bear mountain." What happened back in the day?

MidnightCarving
11-05-2007, 01:38 AM
well lets be realistic, ever since i was a little kid things at gore have let me down... lies? that was on the trail map at least 2 years before it actually opened... anyone remember "Sagamore?" that was supposed to be something what foxlair is.... how about the "arena" park area under the gondola off of lower sleighride? they only had that for a year or so, and it was just 2 kickers and a rail.. none of this stuff ever quite materializes how gore claims it will... i love the idea of the burnt ridge trails, but i dont see them getting a high speed quad in by next year, i see it being 2 years out, and probably another hand-me-down low speed lift.... but on the contrary, we cant complain too much because if gore had all high speed lifts and connections to town, we'd be cursing the hoards of day-trippers. (anyone ever ski on a holiday weekend at hunter?)

Lbtchnlgs
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I actually prefer tripping during the day, more to see :shock:

Harvey44
11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
I know I've said this before...I'm down on high speed chairs to some extent. I actually thing where Gore has them - Gondi and the Triple is perfect.

Think about it. In every system something is the "bottleneck."

Those who ski Gore regularly know it's currently NOT the trails. Even when the parking lots are FULL - the trails are fun (if it's all open) like last pres week. If you double the parking and make all the chairs high speed - it's the trails that will be crowded.

Danzilla
11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Don't quote me on this but I believe that there will be a green trail off the top of burnt ridge down to the north quad chair. You will be able to take the north quad up and take sunway back down or, you if you look at the new trail map you'll see the trail from the north quad down to the bottom of the burnt ridge chair. I think that may be a green all the way? There is currently a a work road from the north quad that joins up with the ski bowl "pipeline" trail about halfway down. It is pretty flat (or almost uphill) in a few spots. I would imagine that they will grade that out or cut it in a little differently. I have hiked up the trail from the ski bowl to the north quad in the off season and I've been tempted to duck the rope and ski back into north creek, but I haven't done it yet.

So, from the mountain to the ski bowl you'll be able to ski from the bottom of the north quad down to the ski bowl (supposedly on greens all the way). On the ski bowl side the next piece of the plan (after the burnt ridge lift is built) is to put a triple or quad in that goes from the bottom of the ski bowl to the top of the ski bowl. From there you will be able to ski off the top of the bowl down to the burnt ridge quad.

Make sense or am I just rambling? This may all be from a dream I had too.

Anyone else have the same impressions?

I would agree with idea of things moving slowly, but they sure seem to have made a lot of progress this year - new lodge, burnt ridge trails cut, new triple chair at the ski bowl, etc. I think if they can keep up that momentum we might be legaly sking burnt ridge next year.

Serious bummer about the Copperfield.

Lbtchnlgs
11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Danzilla. Speaking of dreaming- yesterday I was thinking that it would be cool if they put in an road up the mountain to where topridge is. That way early and late season skiing could be taken advantage of without any downloading ect.

I'm not talking a huge parking lot or anything but just enough for them to fill it up and make some money. I don't think the idea is that far fetched because the access road they have doesn't seem to be very steep at all that connects right by the load station.

Of course this would make the mountain seem much more resort-like and crowd the upper mountain. But its just a thought

11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I really think more highspeed quads are just bad bad news. The should put a fixed grip double on B.R.

Uphill capacity is just as important as downhill. It's already been said but getting more people on the mountain, and more people up the hill is not good for anyone, except their wallets...for a short period of time.

Harvey44
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Looking at the topo....I don't see a green that connects BR and the North Quad. That looks like some seriously DE luxe black stuff.

Danzilla
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmmmm. Must have been a dream then. Forget everything I said:)

I just looked at the 2005 UMP topo map with all the trails on it and I would agree - doesn't look like any of those trails off the top of burnt ridge are any lower than a blue.

Maybe that is why they wanted the connection gondola?

You would think they could work in a trail with some switchbacks in it to either get down to the north quad or to the base on a green.

adkskier
11-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Remember that just because a lift is a high speed detachable does not mean that it will increase uphill capacity.Most quads still only deliver 2400 uphill. so a detachable may have fewer chairs on it, but the ride will be more pleasant. It's a matter of balancing uphill and downhill capacity.
On another note, look for the construction of the full connection to the Ski Bowl to open December 2008. Both required lifts were bid. Construction of the Burnt Ridge lift was awarded and the ski bowl lift (not to be confused with the town lift just built) will be awarded some time in '08 after the Gore budget is released.

skimore
11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I think if they can keep up that momentum we might be legaly sking burnt ridge next year.

Let em take there time....it already is easily accessible