PDA

View Full Version : October skiing

Lbtchnlgs
10-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Taken from mountwashington.org

As I awoke yesterday afternoon something struck me. Two years ago in 2005, a freak October storm dumped lots of wonderful white snow on the northern White Mountains. A friend of mine and I left our apartment in Holderness, New Hampshire to come up to ski the East Snowfields for a weekend trip. It was an epic late October. Being able to ski from the summit sign down to just above Lion’s Head was hard to fathom. Other places like Wildcat Ski Area opened up for a week while locals were hiking to ski Cannon Mountain. It was hard to get school work done for a week knowing up I-93 at Cannon there was knee deep power was calling!

Unfortunately this year is far from the conditions that were here two years ago. Yesterday broke a daily high record of 55 degrees set in 1979 by reaching 57 degrees! Already today the summit has tied the daily record for today which is 53 degrees, also set back in 1979. The throught of snow has been nothing but a dream. The summit staff can only hope that cold air will stay in place for the season. For now it appears that the only place to lay some ski tracks in October is in the Rocky Mountains.

Some pics are posted at the website.
www.mountwashington.org

Man, if only. Couple of my friends moved to Portland a few weeks ago. They were tracking knee deep on Sunday. ENVY

10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Actually, Utah was way sicker this October.

However, I remember that freak storm.

Anyways, who are you? Seeing as you are from Saratoga Springs...

Lbtchnlgs
11-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm not actually from Saratoga, just south Burnt Hills, Ballston Lake.

Chris

11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm not actually from Saratoga, just south Burnt Hills, Ballston Lake.

Chris

You should probably adjust your location then.