PDA

View Full Version : witch trail first ?

jimmer
10-28-2007, 01:50 PM
its getting real close now, any guesses as to where they blow first, im thinking thell go with the usual top ridge trail and go from there. id really like to see them get to the summit asp, but that wont happen any time soon, but it would make sense, because it colder up there sooner, witch would make it easier to cover and the snow would last .

where would you like too see them start ?

day after thanksgiving = 25 more days till projected opening. sweeeet

JC7727
10-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I was going to ask when gore will start to blow snow, nights are going to start to get consistently below freezing especially at the top.

NPN
10-28-2007, 05:59 PM
id really like to see them get to the summit asp, but that wont happen any time soon, but it would make sense, because it colder up there sooner, witch would make it easier to cover and the snow would last .

I couldn't agree more, not just about Gore, but Whiteface as well. At Whiteface it would make even more sense because of the simpler lift logistics to the Summit Quad. But even if they just blew the incredibly obnoxious Pine Knot so you could access the summit it would be so much smarter from the standpoint of snow temp durability. Ah well.

Harvey44
10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Last year was insane. The bottom was 80% open and they had maybe 20% open up top.

JC7727
10-28-2007, 11:38 PM
One of the problems in the fall is that you will often see strong radaitional cooling despite not real cold upper level tempeartures. In other words, you will see a temperature inversion on the mountain where the base is actually coller than the top. Sometimes the base will be in the 20s with the top above freezing. In the winter, strong cold air advection usaully spells the opposite.

NPN
10-28-2007, 11:46 PM
One of the problems in the fall is that you will often see strong radaitional cooling despite not real cold upper level tempeartures. In other words, you will see a temperature inversion on the mountain where the base is actually coller than the top. Sometimes the base will be in the 20s with the top above freezing. In the winter, strong cold air advection usaully spells the opposite.

Are you on the payroll, or do you do this out of displaced certainty?

JC7727
10-29-2007, 01:30 AM
What do you mean exactly?

NPN
10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
What do you mean exactly?

Does that happen in the Fall as well?

JC7727
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Does that happen in the Fall as well?

yea temperature inversions happens the most in the fall but can happen in the winter and spring as well. This is just from a meteorological vantage point, I don't know if this is a true reason for the blowing of more snow at the base in the fall. I would think a combo of this and the fact the bottom is more assessable to families as the main reason for the disproportionate snow blowing.

10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Last years inversion was a sight to see.

However, the snow was really, really weak in the beginning of the year. It pains me to look at early season pictures.

December 6th they'll be pretty well open. For some odd reason I think they'll actually hit Thanksgiving this year.

Snow in the forecast for Thursday night.

NPN
10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
You guys got Turkeyday weekend last year. It was just that nightmare that seemed to kick in right after that we all remember like a root canal.

JC7727
11-01-2007, 12:01 AM
So, who knows when they will start blowing snow, temps look good next week.

mikebike
11-01-2007, 06:31 AM
high in NOrth Creek next week will be in the 40's & 50's

Nov 4 Few Showers
51°/28° 30%
51°F

Mon
Nov 5 Few Showers
48°/38° 30%
48°F

Tue
Nov 6 Showers
51°/32° 50%
51°F

Wed
Nov 7 Few Showers
48°/29° 30%
48°F

Thu
Nov 8 Partly Cloudy
47°/32° 10%
47°F

Fri
Nov 9 Showers
50°/33° 60%
50°F

Lbtchnlgs
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
That reminds me of looking at pictures last year of people skiing on white ice and mud in december, they were open when they should have been closed

JC7727
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
high in NOrth Creek next week will be in the 40's & 50's

Nov 4 Few Showers
51°/28° 30%
51°F

Mon
Nov 5 Few Showers
48°/38° 30%
48°F

Tue
Nov 6 Showers
51°/32° 50%
51°F

Wed
Nov 7 Few Showers
48°/29° 30%
48°F

Thu
Nov 8 Partly Cloudy
47°/32° 10%
47°F

Fri
Nov 9 Showers
50°/33° 60%
50°F

Not even close, try upper 30s for highs (if that) after tuesday with lows near 20. Forecast for the summit.

NPN
11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
So what is the typical difference from what they forcast as North Creek temps, and what is actually happening at the mountain?

11-01-2007, 02:19 PM
So what is the typical difference from what they forcast as North Creek temps, and what is actually happening at the mountain?

5-7 degrees at best anywhere above the summir of Bear Mountain.

JC7727
11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
It depends on a lot of factors, if we have WAA or CAA the lapse rates etc. Usually about 5 degrees per 1,000 feet.

11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
It depends on a lot of factors, if we have WAA or CAA the lapse rates etc. Usually about 5 degrees per 1,000 feet.

Yeah, what I said, about 5-7. It never gets cold enough to consider a double digit drop.

Harvey44
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
It's a minimal difference between NC and the mountain. I know all the theories (it's 3 degrees per 1000) but I'm not buying it at NC.

The only story I ever heard of a difference was rain at 33 in NC and non-accumulating slush above fox lair, not much of a diff in terms of snow conditions.

NPN
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Okay, another agree to diss-agree, but now I want to understand why all of the local news stations in Albany are calling for highs around 40 for Tuesday on, but NC, according to the reports on page one, are close to fifty?

Harvey44
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
NWS has 48 for North River and 53 for KALB.

JC7727
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
It's a minimal difference between NC and the mountain. I know all the theories (it's 3 degrees per 1000) but I'm not buying it at NC.

The only story I ever heard of a difference was rain at 33 in NC and non-accumulating slush above fox lair, not much of a diff in terms of snow conditions.

you don't believe in thermodynamics? The base at gore is already at 1500 feet, with the sumit at 3600 feet its possible to see a 10 degree difference between the base and sumit, the air needs to be very dry and cold air advection must be occuring. With warm air advection, the sumit can be warmer than the base thats why you usually don't see rain at the base and snow at top as a storm is coming in. However, it has happened before where the summit has seen a foot while the base saw rain. I believe in october a few years back.

JC7727
11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
A strong front will pass the area on tuesday from wed of next week on it looks cold.

Harvey44
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I believe in the theory. I've been in a jetliner and seen the outdoor temp at 30,000 feet - it's around 70 below. All I'm saying is that since 1988 I haven't seen occasions of rain at NC close to freezing and accumulating snow on large parts of the mountain.

Just got off the phone with marketing. In response to the question ..when are you going to start making snow..."hopefully in the next couple of weeks." Is it that much warmer at Gore then Kmart or Mt Snow? Maybe, or maybe they just need some more GUTS! :D

If we get some cold....

11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
The summit of Lies and Rumors is colder than the Village of North Creek by 5 to 7 degrees anytime after the last week in November, unless an inversion in happening.

Lbtchnlgs
11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Just go off the phone with marketing. In response to the question ..when are you going to start making snow..."hopefully in the next couple of weeks." Is it that much warmer at Gore then Kmart or Mt Snow? Maybe, or maybe they just need some more GUTS! :D

If we get some cold....

That always discourages me, to see the other mountains blowing snow and having to wait a couple more weeks for Gore to blow. The temps are right, i think that if they wanted they could be open at just about the same time as the other mountains

Harvey44
11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
The summit of Lies and Rumors is colder than the Village of North Creek by 5 to 7 degrees anytime after the last week in November, unless an inversion in happening.

If that is true, the point remains... NC is at 800 or 1000 ft, base lodge is at 1500 ft, summit is at 3600 ft which makes the AVERAGE ski elevator about 2500 or maybe more if you only ski the top. That's a 4-5 degree difference at most.

For that to matter it has to be raining at 33 in NC and snowing at 28 at the top. Maybe its 30 or 31 at the bottom of the SB chair. Not exactly premium snow coming down.

mattchuck2
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Just go off the phone with marketing. In response to the question ..when are you going to start making snow..."hopefully in the next couple of weeks." Is it that much warmer at Gore then Kmart or Mt Snow? Maybe, or maybe they just need some more GUTS! :D

If we get some cold....

That always discourages me, to see the other mountains blowing snow and having to wait a couple more weeks for Gore to blow. The temps are right, i think that if they wanted they could be open at just about the same time as the other mountains

It will come soon . . . patience, grasshopper . . .

mikebike
11-02-2007, 05:44 PM

simply stating that does not make it so.. I have been skiing Gore since the mid-70's (that s the decade not the temp) and it is a rare day to see one form of precip on top and another down below...

:idea: ignore the forecast and go once they finally get around to making it and open....

I think this time of year we all get a bit anxious and keep our eyes :roll:

11-02-2007, 07:28 PM
simply stating that does not make it so.. I have been skiing Gore since the mid-70's (that s the decade not the temp) and it is a rare day to see one form of precip on top and another down below...

I know, I never really said that. But as stated the fact NC is about 1000 feet above, and then combine a 5 degree gap in between snow and rain isn't really enough to produce drastic precipitation differences, a la full snow vs. full rain it'll be a colder, more frozen rain up top, versus the village. It will never puke snow when it's pouring rain, we both agree on that.

However, it is colder up there once winter really gets rolling, and that more so affects snow making...