PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up there

tjf67
01-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Whats the weather like. I checked the snow report but it is showing yesterdays report on the web page.

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Light drizzle in the 'burgh. s'posed to be all snow by noon with 1-3" across the area. yawn. Did you see saturday's forecast? I'm goin' to utah.

Phineas
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Whats the weather like. I checked the snow report but it is showing yesterdays report on the web page.

Its dizzle in RayBrook. Yesterday was an excellent ski day. snow was snow and shaving! manOmade was piled on2 Northway ans she was skiing awesome on Sun - so awesome I had to come back for more yesterday.

calling for a switch over to snow 1-3 inches by 2morrow. Hi temps still above freezing in2 this weekend again. suppose to trend down next week and be alot colder.

we need it. Mtn ops has done a stealer job keeping conditions as good as they are but we are now in2 our third week of late march - early april like weather and w/out some cold and snow their wont be much them boys can do 2 keep her skiing...

fingercrosX it will deep freeze and snow!

Yesterday was the bomb though. no one their, soft snow = let em run!

tjf67
01-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I am going out of the 14th for 4 days. This is the most f'ed up winter we have had.
Sugarloaf are supposed to get up to two feet out of this may be we should make a road trip this weeken

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Prob'ly a March trip for me. Where are you going to ski, TJ?

tjf67
01-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I have three days ofr skiing. Snowbird, Alta, and ??? I am guessing nack to snowbird but am open to ideas. Was thinking about going on one of those backcountry tours but thats up in the air.

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 09:56 AM
atta boy. little cottonwood is the place. solitude over in big cottonwood is good too but only if they close little because it's so choked w/snow. my buddy tells me the bc out there is goin' off and they're skiin' lines that have never come on line before corn season in past years. i guess the snow pack is super stable this year. he's been out there since '93 and this is the best year yet. go get some. i plan to.

HDHaller
01-31-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks.

-HDH

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 10:18 AM

Yeah, does anyone have any honest, first-hand info about conditions?

-HDH

did you read the phineas post above. How much more first hand do you want? he was there yesterday. it's a tad early for a first hand report from today, no?

highpeaksdrifter
01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm goin' to utah.

I'll be in Colorado 2/17 -2/22. It was a spur of the moment decision as I sat out side of MSA waiting for the rain to let up Sat. before last.

BTW, freak that Farmer's Almanac crap. Next Sept. when people start up with that I'm not getting my hopes up.

tjf67
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
atta boy. little cottonwood is the place. solitude over in big cottonwood is good too but only if they close little because it's so choked w/snow. my buddy tells me the bc out there is goin' off and they're skiin' lines that have never come on line before corn season in past years. i guess the snow pack is super stable this year. he's been out there since '93 and this is the best year yet. go get some. i plan to.

cottonwood is that where alta snowbird is or should i be looking intoit. I have read about little and big but have a memory problem. Has something to do with my medication

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
the wasatch front is immediately to the east of SLC. there's a number of canyons that run up into it. These canyons run more or less east-west and parallel to one another. Emigration Canyon, Parley's Canyon, Big Cottonwood Canyon (BCC) and Little Cottonwood Canyon (LCC). There's probably others. Alta and Snowbird are up LCC. Solitude and Brighton are up BCC. All of these are very close to SLC. Stay in SLC and drive up the canyon-du-jour in the AM. LCC's the ticket. Hit solitude if you can't get up LCC. After big dumps, they often close the road up LCC or you have to have 4-wheel drive or chains (they stop and check everybody at bottom of canyon) so rent car accordingly. don't bother with deer valley and the whole park city scene; poser central (night life's good though. at least by Utah standards). have fun. da' bird is da word.

tjf67
01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
the wasatch front is immediately to the east of SLC. there's a number of canyons that run up into it. These canyons run more or less east-west and parallel to one another. Emigration Canyon, Parley's Canyon, Big Cottonwood Canyon (BCC) and Little Cottonwood Canyon (LCC). There's probably others. Alta and Snowbird are up LCC. Solitude and Brighton are up BCC. All of these are very close to SLC. Stay in SLC and drive up the canyon-du-jour in the AM. LCC's the ticket. Hit solitude if you can't get up LCC. After big dumps, they often close the road up LCC or you have to have 4-wheel drive or chains (they stop and check everybody at bottom of canyon) so rent car accordingly. don't bother with deer valley and the whole park city scene; poser central (night life's good though. at least by Utah standards). have fun. da' bird is da word.

NICE We are staying in SLC and already reserved a 4wd. I will have to hunts for meds while I am out there but other than that I think I am all set

freeheelwilly
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
It was a spur of the moment decision as I sat out side of MSA waiting for the rain to let up Sat. before last.

I made my decision this past sunday. this latest nor'easter missin' us south was the last straw. I'm still optimistic that Feb and March will be good to us but I gotta go!

Hey, I kept lookin' for you and SOD on Sat after seeing you doin' host duties at turn 4. No luck. Definitely a good day but there's something just wrong about a corn fest in january! Got in the cloud spin about 3:15 and didn't see ya' there either. Bailed to the Sportsmen pretty quick though. That DJ was annoying.

highpeaksdrifter
01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey, I kept lookin' for you and SOD on Sat after seeing you doin' host duties at turn 4. No luck. Definitely a good day but there's something just wrong about a corn fest in january! Got in the cloud spin about 3:15 and didn't see ya' there either. Bailed to the Sportsmen pretty quick though. That DJ was annoying.

We had tables by the window that overlooks MSA. SOD and I left about 4:30. Sat. was nice, but you're right about the corn fest in Jan.

highpeaksdrifter
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I have three days ofr skiing. Snowbird, Alta, and ??? I am guessing nack to snowbird but am open to ideas. Was thinking about going on one of those backcountry tours but thats up in the air.

Little Cottonwood is where it's at Snowbird, Alta, Solatude, Brighton are all better then the Park City resorts. jupiter Bowl in Park City is very good and the Canyons are nice too, but they don't get the snow that LC gets.

At night the party is in Park City, very cool ski town with lots of bars and kinda of an oasis from Morom influence.

Utah's great, you'll love it. :D