PDA

View Full Version : Hike up Slide 4

11-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Here are some pictures of a hike up slide 4. I don't recommend going up 4 because it is way to difficult making back thru the underbrush to the top of chair 6. It was a little tricky because most of the water was frozen so you had to pick your way carefully across the granite. I want to do slide 1 next time when it’s dryer and go all the way up to the castle. TGF67 and Skier4life were did the hike also. It was a challenge. I'll post the pic's if someone can tell me how to post 10 meg pic's. It will only allow 4 meg.

whitefaceman
11-04-2007, 10:19 AM
wow. sounds like a great trip.
about the pics: jsut save them as a smaller format such as .jpg or something

11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Sorry for the grammer wasn't paying much attention to what I was typing this morning. Here is a better link to the pic's. Trip was 6 miles round trip and 3500 of elevation gain.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7524205@N03/

NPN
11-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks, great pics.

BTW, does S4L know that he doesn't always have to wear a yellow parka?

highpeaksdrifter
11-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Great pics, thanks for posting. TJF's dog must be a heck of good a climber.

tjf67
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
That dog was scaling some pretty steep stuff. I think he was the best climber out of all of us.

It is really amazing that we can ski those slides. the amount of snow they need to open is lots. Most of the hike was a grabble up with the rest a bush wack through those tough little pines.

joyparkway
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
...the best part of the day (I thought) was when the dog came home and passed out from exhaustion for the rest of the night. He rarely does that!

oneotwoandcounting
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
...the best part of the day (I thought) was when the dog came home and passed out from exhaustion for the rest of the night. He rarely does that!

Below is a link to one of my hiking partners. Sami is a 12 year old cocker spaniel. She is a friend's pet and she always, “out hikes us.” Sami is standing on Algonquin’s Summit. After gaining the Summit from Heart Lake we hiked down the backside to Avalanche Pass. We had to carry Sami up a few of the ladders in “The Pass” but she did the rest by herself. Her owner claims the day before a hike he can’t talk about it with Sami because she will get so excited she can’t sleep at night.

I mention this because this past weekend a couple of my friends hiked up Lookout Mountain to check out the new trails. It looks like at least one of them will have a double fall line, sound familiar i.e. Upper Cloudspin.

Click link below to get a glimpse of Sami:

http://adkron.bizland.com/Samir.jpg

11-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Below is a link to one of my hiking partners. Sami is a 12 year old cocker spaniel. She is a friend's pet and she always, “out hikes us.” Sami is standing on Algonquin’s Summit. After gaining the Summit from Heart Lake we hiked down the backside to Avalanche Pass. We had to carry Sami up a few of the ladders in “The Pass” but she did the rest by herself. Her owner claims the day before a hike he can’t talk about it with Sami because she will get so excited she can’t sleep at night.

I mention this because this past weekend a couple of my friends hiked up Lookout Mountain to check out the new trails. It looks like at least one of them will have a double fall line, sound familiar i.e. Upper Cloudspin.

Click link below to get a glimpse of Sami:

http://adkron.bizland.com/Samir.jpg

There were a few people behind us with at least 6 Lab like dogs. They turned up the new expert trail, we headed up Blazers Bluff. They did some blasting on BB to get rid of the large rocks at the bottom. Yes the intermediate trail looks like it will have a double fall line at the top. Should be fun for the experienced skier but not so fun for the unsuspecting intermediate/ beginner skier. It looks like it's going to be a very steep trail. It would be a double black in the Pocono’s. We had 5 dog with us at the start. 4 turned back with the unadventurous part of our group.

oneotwoandcounting
11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Whitefacewilly,

I don't mean to put up meaningless posts but I see your avatar is a Border Collie. My LA daughter has one and you can't tier that dog out. I hope your Border was with you for the hike up Slide 4.

11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Whitefacewilly,

I don't mean to put up meaningless posts but I see your avatar is a Border Collie. My LA daughter has one and you can't tier that dog out. I hope your Border was with you for the hike up Slide 4.

I have the border collie, a large mut and a Parson Jack Russel. I didn't want to bring any of them because I thought we were going up slide 1. Slide 1 is too steep and dangerous for dogs as far as I'm concerned. I'll never hike up any slide but #1.

oneotwoandcounting
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Whitefacewilly,

I have the border collie, a large mut and a Parson Jack Russel. I didn't want to bring any of them because I thought we were going up slide 1. Slide 1 is too steep and dangerous for dogs as far as I'm concerned. I'll never hike up any slide but #1.

You’re way ahead of me. I have never hiked a slide. Hiked up Whiteface two years ago from lake Placid and have skied Slide 1 a couple of times. That's about it for my "Slide" experience. I'm really pretty happy to be on "man made" trails. I'm not as adventurous as I once was.

“I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?” Dizzy Dean

Skier 4 Life
11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I had a great time hiking up 'the Slides' with tgf67 and Whiteface Willy last Saturday. Check out the additional pics (and commentary) I posted from the hike in the Gallery... including some shots of Blazer's Bluff, etc. Enjoy! :D

http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Slide-4-Hike-110307&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

highpeaksdrifter
11-09-2007, 07:16 AM
I had a great time hiking up 'the Slides' with tgf67 and Whiteface Willy last Saturday. Check out the additional pics (and commentary) I posted from the hike in the Gallery... including some shots of Blazer's Bluff, etc. Enjoy! :D

http://forums.skiadk.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Slide-4-Hike-110307&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Nice pics S4L. Thanks for taking the time to put the captions in.

Skier 4 Life
11-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Nice pics S4L. Thanks for taking the time to put the captions in.

Thanks HPD (and you're welcome)... I posted a dozen more pics (with captions) today... check 'em out! :D

joyparkway
11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Check out my dog- he's bad ass!!! :twisted:

11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Check out my dog- he's bad a**!!! :twisted:

Yea but your NOT!! You whimped out at Chair 6.