PDA

View Full Version : 4 Day Vaca: Gore vs. WF

ski_newbie
01-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Looking for suggestions/preferences on Gore vs. WF for a trip planned for March 3-7th (we've pretty much decided to avoid the chaos of VT). I'm a relative newbie although I'm holding my own lately and my boyfriend's experienced on the slopes. Since we're way down in CT, we mostly hit Mohawk for short trips and Hunter when we have a full day. Last year got a day on Whistler which was AMAZING. I can handle reasonable blues but my guy needs more challenging terrain so we're looking for trails we can split for and reconnect at times. Anyone have suggestions on the advantages/disadvantages of trips to these mountains? Anyone have a crystal ball for the weather forecast? Suggestions on great places to stay/stop/eat would also be welcome. Thanks!

Son of Drifter
02-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Welcome newbie. After 2 days you and your bf will be bored to death by the terrain at Gore. Also Lake Placid offers a lot of non skiing related activies, has a ton of great shops and great bars/resturants. Not sure about the weather forecast but unfortunately that's always a crap shoot. Come to the Olympic mountain to ski and party your asses off in LP. :twisted:

tjf67
02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Looking for suggestions/preferences on Gore vs. WF for a trip planned for March 3-7th (we've pretty much decided to avoid the chaos of VT). I'm a relative newbie although I'm holding my own lately and my boyfriend's experienced on the slopes. Since we're way down in CT, we mostly hit Mohawk for short trips and Hunter when we have a full day. Last year got a day on Whistler which was AMAZING. I can handle reasonable blues but my guy needs more challenging terrain so we're looking for trails we can split for and reconnect at times. Anyone have suggestions on the advantages/disadvantages of trips to these mountains? Anyone have a crystal ball for the weather forecast? Suggestions on great places to stay/stop/eat would also be welcome. Thanks!

If you compared whiteface to say Stowe then I think you would have some debate as to which mountain to go to but as you have made your mind up between whiteface and gore there is not real debate. Whiteface is the hands down place to be. Much better off hill activities.
The only advantage gore has over whiteface is the offpiste terrain and it doesn not sound like you are going to spend much time in the woods anyways.

ski_newbie
02-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks! Decided on a condo in LP and we'll try to hit Gore on the way out for comparison. WF here we come!

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Dont bother with Gore, head up to Placid and have a blast both skiing Whiteface, and relaxing or partying your face off in Placid after skiing... Whiteface has diverse terrain, lots of beginner slopes (they have a whole area and lifts dedicated to newbies). March conditions are usually pretty good as temperatures increase. Warm sunny days, cool nights, and some heavy duty storms at least a couple times during march... As we say "in like a lion, out like a lion!" For newbies i'd recommend the face lift quad to access boreen, easy street, and runner up. Head to the Bear lift near the superpipe to access more green trails. If youre looking for some great blue square cruisers check out Excelsior, Broadway, and Lower valley on little whiteface. Head to the summit for some fun runs down Parons run, and the Follies. Connect either of those with Excelsior and boreen and you have a great top to bottom cruiser! (one of my fav's for a warm up). Have a few beers in the cloudspin lounge and talk over your day with the locals and whiteface first timer's alike!
Lake Placid has a great nightlife scene! I recommend Nicola's (Italian) and Lisa G's (Burgers, wings, pizza, and bar fare). The pub's in Lake Placid rock! Look for Zig Zag's on main st. (cant miss the authentic bobsled from the 1980 olympics out front), Lisa G's for a great deal (Jack on the rocks and a PBR for 5 bucks!, PJ's (LP Pub n Brewery) for the best microbrews in town including UBU ale, 46er IPA, etc. If you want to shake your rump head to Rumours... although its usually full of kiddies on the weekend.
If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a line mikefelici82@yahoo.com