PDA

View Full Version : Snowmaking

Lbtchnlgs
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Anybody hear when they plan on starting to blow snow?

Anyone going to mount snow tomorrow?

Harvey44
11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
When I opened this thread...I was hoping for some good news.

Keith....any action up there?

Lbtchnlgs
11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry harv

JC7727
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
come on gore the low is 20 tonight. Whiteface is blowing so its not a funding issue.

Lbtchnlgs
11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
The temps have been great. Gore could have had a great start to snowmaking throughout the whole last WEEK. Looks like we'll have another topridge opening day :roll:

JC7727
11-11-2007, 07:04 PM
its rediculous, every year they state they have made snowmaking improvements. Doesn't do much good if you aren't blowing snow when its cold.

Lbtchnlgs
11-11-2007, 07:19 PM
"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SNOW...AND THE CORDUROY!
We hope we don't sound redundant, but once again...we'll be making more snow than last season! Major snowmaking upgrades including three new pumps will increase capacity and efficiency, while opening more terrain for you earlier in the season.

In addition, another new groomer (the fourth in just three seasons) will offer an even stronger fleet for maintaining the mountain's superior conditions."

I would like to know what kind of upgrades besides the pumps, 4 new guns? A few new hoses???? Did they polish the valves?

It sucks always bashing, but when nothing great is happening its hard not to. For what we pay for our passes or tickets I think that we should be getting MORE GORE.

Sorry but I just need to vent

NPN
11-11-2007, 07:40 PM
"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SNOW...AND THE CORDUROY!
We hope we don't sound redundant, but once again...we'll be making more snow than last season! Major snowmaking upgrades including three new pumps will increase capacity and efficiency, while opening more terrain for you earlier in the season.

In addition, another new groomer (the fourth in just three seasons) will offer an even stronger fleet for maintaining the mountain's superior conditions."

I would like to know what kind of upgrades besides the pumps, 4 new guns? A few new hoses???? Did they polish the valves?

It sucks always bashing, but when nothing great is happening its hard not to. For what we pay for our passes or tickets I think that we should be getting MORE GORE.

Sorry but I just need to vent

Lbtch-

Venting is good, but always remember that Whiteface is just another thirty minutes away with better conditions, better snow, and much better terrain.

Lbtchnlgs
11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
NPN- I'm going to get up there more this year. Hopefully i'll be there for opening day.

It's gotta be more than 30 more minutes, no? I'll check mapquest.

NPN
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
NPN- I'm going to get up there more this year. Hopefully i'll be there for opening day.

It's gotta be more than 30 more minutes, no? I'll check mapquest.

I've been doing this for well over ten years now. Brunswick to Gore one hour, and thirty-five minutes.

Brunswick to Whiteface ( via Jay, not Placid ) two hours, and five minutes.

Brunswick to Toga exactly thirty to the Olde Saratoga Brewery.

Whiteface to Lake Placid Pub & Brewery, who knows, depends on the day, and how many sitings along the way.

Need I say more?

Harvey44
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
We could spam em. Everyone copy the verbiage from the site into the suggestions box. Probably won't help but might be fun?

For me...Gore is 10 mins and WF is probably and hour and 20.

11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
They're "really busy with other things" and haven't found the time to start blowing yet.

So sad. Hope the Lincoln Logs Lodge kicks all sorts of ass.

mikebike
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
well the sugestion box is broke..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

11-12-2007, 11:36 PM
well the sugestion box is broke..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure is.
It can't handle the truth.

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/specialengagements/afewgoodmenjacktruth.JPG

I e-mailed info@goremountain and bitched.

P.S. the "reason" they're not blowing snow is because of the unfinished lodge construction, as expected. Lots of delays have held it up, and they want the lodge done and ready on the open. Rentals, ticket sales, and other services are taking place there...I guess Bulmer was head of this project and it did not run smoothly.

Harvey44
11-13-2007, 07:06 AM
I had a suggestion go through last night. (?)

Come on. Everyone KNOWS construction is never done on time - you can't hold up the mountain.

The website promises the mountain will open on 11/23 WEATHER permitting, not construction permitting.

I guess NPN wins. I think my pass works at WF right?

Harvey44
11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
What's Happening: Round-the-clock snowmaking is scheduled to start this Friday in preparation for our Planned Opening Day (weather permitting) on November 23! Four-Pack Snow Samplers, four tickets valid any day of the season at either Gore or Whiteface Mountains, are $219 through 12/14/07!

Sounds like topridge to me.

Danzilla
11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Not that I like to gossip, but my wife and I had dinner at Black Mountain on Sunday night and there were a couple of guys at the bar who were in town to install the new compressors at Gore. I overheard them say that they started out working at Gore a few weeks ago and after a day or two somebody called from Whiteface and they were sent up there to do the compressor work there first. After they finished up at Whiteface they came back down to finish up working at Gore.

They didn't come right out and say it, but it sounded like Gore couldn't really fire up snowmaking until their work was done this friday. It just so happens that the website now says they are going to start blowing 24/7 on Friday.

Also heard that the folks from Black Mountain put a bid in to buy Casey's - that would be sweeeet.

11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Come on. Everyone KNOWS construction is never done on time - you can't hold up the mountain.

The website promises the mountain will open on 11/23 WEATHER permitting, not construction permitting.

THUMBS UP!

I think I'll be at WF.

adksara
11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Yup... I read the same whole "round the clock" snowmaking on the website... sigh - what'll be open again is that "fabulous" run down Topridge... maybe the sliver of snow down Foxlair and Wildair to the bottom - oh whooppee! I'm jumping for joy - NOT.

Every year - I know the snowmaking crew does their best once they're allowed out, but you'd think that the powers that be would plan compressor repair and equipment maintenance better during the summer months so the guys can get out there that much sooner and blow like mad.

That being said - I'm still hiking and waiting...

Keep the cheer and dream of snow. :)
ADKSara

NPN
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Look at it this way, yes a slow start, but, then again you could be one of those people with a lifetime pass to K-mart.

NPN
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Killington's management is fucked beyond all comprehension.

I gotta agree, they look more Bush-like every day. Realistically, how much would it've cost them to honor the lifetime agreement? IMHO, all of the food, drink, and lodging business that all of these people would have provided for the rest of their lives. If it were me who got dissed like this, I'd do my two years while going out of my way to never spend another penny at the joint, and be certain to spread the worst word of mouth possible about every aspect of their operation every chance I got.

AdironRider
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Outside of getting rid of the lifetime passes I dont think Killington has done anything really that bad. People are just pissed cause they arent getting things as cheaply as they did under ASC, which as we can see today wasnt that sucessful in running things the way they did.

NPN
11-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Outside of getting rid of the lifetime passes I dont think Killington has done anything really that bad. People are just pissed cause they arent getting things as cheaply as they did under ASC, which as we can see today wasnt that sucessful in running things the way they did.

I don't know that much about the place other than the fact that I don't care for it. And, if it wasn't for their typical early, and late season, wouldn't've been there the few times I have. But, to each his own. I'm not commenting on their business practices, I'm commenting on how I'd feel if I was one of those people who got boned by the new ownership. Frankly, I wouldn't have thought to bring it up if I hadn't heard, and seen the story on all kinds of media all day long.

11-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Get off "our snow" to the hike-for-turn guys? Seriously. No. Public land in VT and that is ALLOWED to happen, unless its their blown snow. All the natural stuff is free game but they're harassing hikers like criminals.

No life-time passes.

Buy the passes, then announce the shortened season.

...and they're about to get into a shitstorm with the real estate company that owns most of the land... :roll: :roll:

Harvey44
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Back on topic...with some luck maybe the heavens will provide what the compressors can't.

NPN
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Back on topic...with some luck maybe the heavens will provide what the compressors can't.

Sorry H, I was just trying to cheer you all up. Ah well, best laid plans...

BTW, you do know that pass of yours works at Whiteface too where the compressors are working very well, and it looks like a 5"-8" hit on Friday?

Harvey44
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah...I know that my pass works at Whiteface. Will they accept our 18 month old daughters pass for daycare too?

I don't know about WF being 30 mins past Gore - maybe if you are already on 87. From our place (10 mins from Gore) mapquest shows it as 78 miles and one hour and 47 mins.

Sound right?

NPN
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah...I know that my pass works at Whiteface. Will they accept our 18 month old daughters pass for daycare too?

I don't know about WF being 30 mins past Gore - maybe if you are already on 87. From our place (10 mins from Gore) mapquest shows it as 78 miles and one hour and 47 mins.

Sound right?

When I go from my nephew's place at the end of the access road it takes me about one hour, and fifteen, or twenty. The key is to bypass Placid, and head through Jay to get to the mountain. It saves a lot of time.

Regardless, Gore'll have things up, and ready soon enough. Don't waste the time, or $3.50/gallon cost of a drive, or, better yet, if the conditions are that much better at Whiteface, just head direct, and stay at a place in Wilmington. $59/night gets you a room with mountain views, bar, restaurant, and hot tub.

JC7727
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I am in bolton landing and it usually takes me about 40 mins to gore while WF is about an hour to an hour and 10 mins. Not that big of a difference for me. Back on topic, Gore especially the sumit can see around 4 inches I think by friday.

NPN
11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
I am in bolton landing and it usually takes me about 40 mins to gore while WF is about an hour to an hour and 10 mins.

Thank you. See, I'm not the only one, but I think JC drives a little faster than me.

JC7727
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Yea that WF time is not doing the legal speed limit on the northway ;)

rossi
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
i wouldnt recommend trusting mapquest. it will send you miles out of your way. ive used it a few times and everytime ended up going my own way that was a lot faster.

Harvey44
11-15-2007, 07:09 AM
I trust the 78 miles. And I know more than half of it is not on the interstate. Usually takes me 30 mins to get to 87 from North River.

St. Jerry
11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Whiteface is 1 hour and 25 min drive from Gore. Take Northway (Chestertown entrance) to Keene/Lake Placid exit and follow signs for Whiteface mountain.

jimmer
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
why worry about WF when GORE is a way better place to ski anyway. one more week till opening day ,hoo-ray

11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
How far from Ruby Mountainview Road, North River area, to the Gore parking lot? 10-15 minutes?

P.S. SNOW! :D 4-8 inches above 1500!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
916 AM EST THU NOV 15 2007

NYZ042-152200-
/O.EXB.KALY.SN.Y.0003.071115T1416Z-071116T1100Z/
NORTHERN WARREN-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...WARRENSBURG
916 AM EST THU NOV 15 2007

...SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST FRIDAY ABOVE 1500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A SNOW
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM EST THURSDAY UNTIL 6 AM
EST FRIDAY ABOVE 1500 FEET IN WARREN COUNTY.

RAIN WILL GRADUALLY MIX WITH...AND EVENTUALLY CHANGE TO SNOW
LATE THIS MORNING...AS COLDER AIR FILTERS IN FROM THE WEST. SNOW
WILL CONTINUE TO FALL THROUGH TONIGHT...WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO
8 INCHES EXPECTED BY FRIDAY MORNING OVER EXTREME NORTHWESTERN
WARREN COUNTY.

THE SNOW WILL RESULT FROM MOISTURE WRAPPING AROUND A DEVELOPING
LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM THAT WILL BE MOVING NORTHWARD THROUGH NEW
ENGLAND.

A SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY
TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND
LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

$$

Harvey44
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Don't worry Jimbo I aint going Face on ya.

Lbtchnlgs
11-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the positive info Morry.

11-16-2007, 12:01 AM
How long does it take for them to mail the passes if you e-mail your picture?

Lbtchnlgs
11-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Well at least they are making snow now, don't know where but can assume its top ridge

MidnightCarving
11-18-2007, 02:16 PM
yep, topridge is it, i drove by this morning on my way back to school, from route 8 i could see they had been blowing it in the night, but, as expected, they lied about 24/7, my cars thermometer read 27 and they werent blowing anything.

Lbtchnlgs
11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
yep, topridge is it, i drove by this morning on my way back to school, from route 8 i could see they had been blowing it in the night, but, as expected, they lied about 24/7, my cars thermometer read 27 and they werent blowing anything. :x :x go figure.

Lbtchnlgs
11-18-2007, 02:59 PM
How long does it take for them to mail the passes if you e-mail your picture?

Not sure a specific time, it took a while for them to send my brothers when he orderd it online. I just pick mine up

JC7727
11-18-2007, 03:02 PM
WF is blowing to the base, bye bye Gore

jimmer
11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
yea i was up there today as well,pittyful,i think ill go make a rant post.

adkskier
11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Listening to the snow makers on the radio, it sounds as if they are blowing on TopRidge tonight. I heard a couple of guys on Sunway and 3B. They blew for a while on Jamboree yesterday. Even with all the new equipment, I've already heard them run out of air and turn off a few guns or run low on water capacity (that's capacity delivered to the guns, not total supply which is virtually endless) and turn off a few guns.

Harvey44
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Isn't "compression" or number/size of compressors usually the limiting factor?

Thanks for the beta.

adkman656
11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Spoke to a snowmaker who said they should open with TopRidge, Ruby run to Sunway/Quicksilver to the bottom.. All in all not a bad way to start.. Lots of bitching going on here...won't get you on the hill any quicker, and gives you a bad attitude when you get there anyway..Weather sort of sucks for wednesday/thursday so I wouldn't be surprised to see a late start on Friday and them waiting till Friday night to groom once its cooled down again.

now, for whoever it was that talked about the compressor guys at black mt... thats interesting as gore's staff has been doing almost all the install and when I hiked it a while ago 95% of the work was done in the base area compressors and they had already put new ones up on bear that needed final work.. all in all right on schedule.. Other comment from tmorrey i think about the new building being screwed up. According to Mt management its right on schedule, and they knew they wouldn't have it done until December so that doesn't have anything to do with snowmaking.

Personally I think some folks here just like to hear themselves bitch and enjoy making comments on second hand, third hand, or personally made up info.. again I say.. eat your turkey, wax your skis/boards, get on the lift...have some fun.

Oh...if you asked them to mail your pass, and you didn't get it...CALL THEM.. they won't send it out now, and you need to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail before you show up and request a new one.. plus if you call they will have it ready for you when you get there...thats what I did..

Danzilla
11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Saturday is the day. They just updated the website.

I did overhear two guys up at Black Mountain. They were from Ohio and had just come down from working up at Whiteface and they did say that they were installing 3 more compressors at Gore. Perhaps they meant to say that they were hooking them up or finishing them up etc. Perhaps they were grandstanding too, but they certainly insinuated that Gore couldn't start blowing until their work was done and that they had been repositioned to WF after starting work at Gore.

I don't like to gossip and I don't like to bitch. I am really impressed with everything they have done this year. The new lodge looks great, trails on burnt ridge look great, lift at the ski bowl is almost done, etc. That is a ton of work in less than 6 months.

I do think people are a bit frustrated to see other areas alredy open or opening this weekend with a fairly significant amount of terrain. I remember last year there were 4 trails open until 2 days after christmas and then suddenly they had 50% of the mountain open. Weather certainly played a part early on and it was depressing to see it all washed away the first week of January. It just seems that they have the capacity to blow like hell, but don't do it very often. That is the general perception anyway.