PDA

View Full Version : ski trip

Weez
11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I realize this is the Whiteface board but Ive gotten so much help from this board with questions about the Lake Placid Area i figured I would give it a shot here. In addition to my 5 or 6 Whiteface trips this year I want to take the wife and kids somewhere else this winter. I was thinking either Tremblant or out west ie: Colorado Steamboat, Telluride, Vail or even maybe Park City. My wife doesn't ski so restaurants and town shopping is real important. I would really like a true ski-in/out resort but its not the end of the world if i have to drive to the slopes. Any ideas? Ive never ski'd anywhere other than Gore, Whiteface, Hunter and Killington so this is new territory for me.

TIA Weez

11-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Tahoe. Under 10,000' so you won't have to get use to the lack of O2. There is tons of shopping and great places to eat. Stay at Squaw and you can ski at a half dozen other areas within 15 min. of there. Go late in the year after they have gotten dumped on. Colorado is great but alot of people have problems with altitude.
Good Luck

wondertrev
11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I'd skip the hassle of flying West. I never understand why Easterners go through the hassle unless they're staying for a couple of weeks. You'll have foreign atmosphere, good restaurants, a big mountain, etc.... If you've got kids, you've got Gray Rocks, Mont St. Saveur, etc....

I've lived in UT and CO, and skiied NM extensively, and I really don't see the benefits justifying the cost and hassle. WIth the $$ yopu save on airfare, you could get a great place in Trembant.

Aside from that, I'd go for Ogden and SLC.

Lbtchnlgs
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but- Speaking of out West. Has anyone skied Idaho? It is really appealing to me because its off the radar. Just looking for some input, if there is any to be taken

Weez
11-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I would still end up flying even if its Tremblant so i really wouldnt save much money by staying here. My main reason for wanting to go somewhere else is I will still ski Whiteface 5 or 6 times this year plus i want to assure myself of some high quality powder skiing. I know i may get lucky and get a few days of it here but even with some of the best weather (Like last year) most of the quality places are ski'd off by lunchtime plus my wife wants to try someplace new.

Whiteface thats a valid concern, i've had a couple friends that have had their ski trips ruined because of the problem breathing. I considered Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer months and thought the place was beautiful.

AdironRider
11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Except for the fact that everywhere out west is ten times the mtn compared to Tremblant in terms of terrain challenge.

highpeaksdrifter
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Stay in Park City Utah. 1/2 hour from the airport. You can ski the 3 PC mountains or Alta/SB a little drive away. The town has it all for the wife. You can't beat the convenience.

NPN
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I would still end up flying even if its Tremblant so i really wouldnt save much money by staying here. My main reason for wanting to go somewhere else is I will still ski Whiteface 5 or 6 times this year plus i want to assure myself of some high quality powder skiing. I know i may get lucky and get a few days of it here but even with some of the best weather (Like last year) most of the quality places are ski'd off by lunchtime plus my wife wants to try someplace new.

Whiteface thats a valid concern, i've had a couple friends that have had their ski trips ruined because of the problem breathing. I considered Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer months and thought the place was beautiful.

SLC is one of the easiest, and cheapest flight routes from the east. As far as the powder, it's doesn't market the phrase, "Greatest Snow on Earth" without reason. Geography dictates that it gets the lightest snow on the Planet. Clearly Little Cottonwood Canyon gets better, and bigger snowfalls, but it is going to let the wife down.

As HPD said, Park City has the best mountainside village of all of the SLC resorts, but lacks in terrain compared to the 'Bird, and Alta ( although, sadly, without a local guide, you'll have a hard time getting to the goods at Alta ).

If the wife doen't mind steep canyon driving, Snowbird is by far the best ski in ski out opportunity.

Whatever you decide, definitely go west young man, it's a great vacation experience.

whipple
11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I used to work at Tremblant but now I'm at Whiteface. Tremblant is a land locked cruse ship. Park your car and never see it again until it time to leave. Whether you ski or not, there's more to do then one can imagine. The mountain although not as changing as Whiteface has plenty of terrain to choose from. One of the unique things about Tremblant is the culture, it's like going to Europe without having to cross the pond. It used to be cheaper but now the Canadian dollar has gone up so who knows. :cry: Oh and they have one of the best ski schools in the world. As far as powder, its not were you go, it's all in the luck of timing( I've had face shots at Whiteface)

NPN
11-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but- Speaking of out West. Has anyone skied Idaho? It is really appealing to me because its off the radar. Just looking for some input, if there is any to be taken

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is nothing, "off the radar" about Sun Valley. After Aspen, it ranks a definite second in the arena of, "Hollywood north" ski resorts.

If you want to hang with Jack, Demi, her boy toy, etc. etc. then by all means head out, but consider yourself warned.

Weez
11-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I knew I would get some real informed replies and I appreciate them all. I am almost certain I will be heading west and heavily leaning towards Park City one last question then im done :lol: How does Jackson Hole compare to Park City?

11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I knew I would get some real informed replies and I appreciate them all. I am almost certain I will be heading west and heavily leaning towards Park City one last question then im done :lol: How does Jackson Hole compare to Park City?

Cold and Hard. It is a place for the hardened skier. Cold as WF but with much greater altitude, steepnes and snow. I love it. IMO like WF not a family Mt.

Dr Skimeister
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM

I skied Sun Valley a couple of years ago. Big place, no crowd. As far as the glitter that it supposedly has, I did see it, but then again I wasn't looking for it. Some really cool bars in Ketchum.

Of all the western resorts I've been to, the sketchiest snow. I think they get about the same average yearly snowfall as Whiteface.

All in all, it was a fun mountain to ski, decently challenging with a good mix of groomed/ungroomed.

Weez
11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks again, Park City it is!

wondertrev
11-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Jackson is for the hardcore. Leave the kids at home, be in bed by 9, be there when the lifts open, and get smoked by the locals.
Park City/Alta/Brighton is what I'd recommend if you wanna skip Tremblant. Dont miss Brighton and Solitude; they're not big name resorts but they have plenty to offer (with no weekday crowds). Unlike Tremblant, however, you'll spend lots of time in the car if you try the different resorts.

Weez
11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
If we get some early snow in the NE i may end up trying Tremblant in December. We're gonna book our Park City trip for late February. I may forego one of my Whiteface trips and do Tremblant. The only problem with Tremblant is its just a little too far to drive (for me).

SKIdds
11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Hard to go wrong with the SLC area and it seems your choice is made, but.......

Just thought I'd throw Breckenridge out there. Great town, right at the base of the mountain. The mountain is big, with lots of varied terrain. Does it still boast highest lift serviced terrain? Figures the year after I schlep the hour hike up to the Lake Chutes they put in a lift to the top of Peak 8. Anywho, in addition to having a great family base in Breck, A Basin is just around the corner and is a really fun mountain if you are up to it. Also a variety of other Summit County resorts nearby if you want to spread your time around. The drive over the Continental Divide at Loveland Pass is breathtaking and something everyone should see.

Weez
11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
BTW: How is the skiing at Tremblant vs. Whiteface? Comparable? better? worse? and how about the crowds?

SKIdds, I will definitely look into the town at Breckenridge, thats more important to me than the skiing. I know i will get pretty much great skiing out there but keeping my other half happy while the rest of us are skiing is the key.

11-12-2007, 01:32 PM
BTW: How is the skiing at Tremblant vs. Whiteface? Comparable? better? worse? and how about the crowds?

SKIdds, I will definitely look into the town at Breckenridge, thats more important to me than the skiing. I know i will get pretty much great skiing out there but keeping my other half happy while the rest of us are skiing is the key.

Tremblant Sucks. It’s OK for the first time. I have been made to go there every year by my wife and the only time I enjoyed myself was when the exchange rate was 50%. Weekend crowds are awful; you’ll wait forever and freeze your ass off doing it. The terrain is very unchallenging! Snows OK. We went last year and found that customer service is going down hill fast. I wanted to change my multiday ticket to another jacket and they treated me like a criminal. Unless you don’t want to fly save your money or go out west. Copper is the best and they include CAT skiing in the lift ticket price.

Weez
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Tremblant Sucks. It’s OK for the first time. I have been made to go there every year by my wife and the only time I enjoyed myself was when the exchange rate was 50%. Weekend crowds are awful; you’ll wait forever and freeze your a** off doing it. The terrain is very unchallenging! Snows OK. We went last year and found that customer service is going down hill fast. I wanted to change my multiday ticket to another jacket and they treated me like a criminal. Unless you don’t want to fly save your money or go out west. Copper is the best and they include CAT skiing in the lift ticket price.

You just made my decision a whole lot easier, i had some minor trepidation about spending my money in quebec to begin with. I'll stick to lake placid this winter with my one trip out west.

NPN
11-13-2007, 12:09 AM
I forgot to mention, if you do decdide to head to PC, you should know that the Smith supermarket chain out there sells discount tickets to most of the SLC areas. They have the full listing on their website.

SKIdds
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Whiteface Willy's Copper recommendation is consistent with Summit County. With Breckenridge as a base, and a pretty good one at that, you have another four resorts within a half hours drive. Copper, Keystone, A Basin and Loveland. Keystone and Copper probably have great base villages as resorts go, but Breckenridge has a real, down to earth, Western town. Shopping, restaurants, night life....a lot of it and nothing pretentious. As for the skiing, Breck has a ton of terrain good for beginners and intermediates. There is a ton of bowl skiing that is accessible to an intermediate to light expert if you can handle the powder. I wouldn't say there is anything Jackson Hole hairball, but you now have lift serviced access to 13,000 feet and a 55 degree pitch in the Lake Chutes. It's not a no fall zone kind of experience and you won't kill yourself tumbling over a cliff band if you fall, but it sure is steep and will still scare the bejeesus out of many an expert level recreational skiers. The Peak 9 Chutes have some pretty steep shots down through the trees if you don't mind hiking for your turns. You want to hike and ski some scarier stuff there is always A Basin and the East Wall. Keystone and Copper both have their own bowls and both offer cat skiing. There a lot to choose from. A week in Breck could see you ski a different resort each day for part of the week, then going back to your favorites later in the week.

Of course the same can be said of Park City, although I've never been.

NPN
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Okay, and if you go with Breakin'wind, the King supermarket chain offers similar discounts for Copper, and I would imagine some other Summit Co. spots, but I don't know for sure.

highpeaksdrifter
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
JMO, I think PC is a better ski town for the wife then Breck. Both work though.

NPN
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
JMO, I think PC is a better ski town for the wife then Breck. Both work though.

Not to mention, SLC's a two second ride away. She can check out the Mormony Tab Choir/Temple, a truly world class Aviary, she can cruise out to the island in the Great Salt Lake where buffalo herds roam wild ( and mountain bike through them if she's into that ), etc., etc.. And if you really want to drop a buck, you can bring her up to the spa in the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird, and, oh yeah, you then get a day in at the 'Bird, or better yet a day trip with Wasatch Powderbird Guides.

Then again, at Breakin'wind, she's always got that day trip to Frisco.

Danzilla
11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I would also check out big sky montana. It is 45 miles north of bozeman. I haven't been out there yet, but I have heard it is awesome. Vail size (over 4000 acres) and 400 inches of snow per year. They have invested millions in new lifts over the past 5-10 years and there are tons of options for ski in ski out accomodations. It is relatively unknown too so I think the lift lines are pretty tame. One of my neighbors just retired and bought a house out there and loves it.

www.bigskyresort.com

Breck is also one of my favorites as there are a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby. You can also drive to vail, copper, keystone, a-basin, etc. There is an awesome tubing hill at copper and lots of non-sking stuff to do. They just installed a gondi at breck that goes into the middle of town and they also put a lift in to access the top bowls which are pretty sweet (used to be a rope tow).

Steamboat is pretty fun too, but is kind of isolated. The wife and I lived in Laramie for a few years and used to drive over there quite a bit.

I haven't skied Utah, but I don't think you'll be disappointed there either except that their beer is all 3.2% alcohol.

SKIdds
11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd have a pretty tough time choosing between Summit Co, Colorado and SLC if I were making a choice for my family. Seeing as I'm not at this point (although hopefully some day) I haven't invested that much time thinking it through.

If it were just me skiing, I'd without a doubt go Utah, although I wouldn't stay in Park City. I'd want to spend my time skiing Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. Snowbird, Alta, Solitude and Brighton are probably an hour plus drive from Park City, and that's probably if the roads are good, assuming they aren't closed, which can happen.

If I were bringing the family, I'd probably go with Summit County. The combination of real town and multiple resorts within close proximity is big. I could ski a variety of stuff without having to drive too far, while the rest of the family has a big mountain and a great town to play in.

Weez
11-14-2007, 10:53 AM
To add further fuel to the fire we have friends telling us what a great village Vail is. I don't really care about the money part of it as much as i care about keeping everyone happy. I thought my decision was made but its now its completely up in the air :lol: I figure I really can't go wrong at any of the 3 but to be honest I love the thought of an old authentic western town to spend my evenings in. I ski primarily expert/intermediate with my son and spend some time with my daughter on the beginner slopes. I wont be doing any of the hardcore expert skiing but will spend most of my time on the blue, black and with some lesser time on the green and double black.

tjf67
11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
If you are loaded then go to Vail.

SLC is by far the most convient, well established and consistanly reliable area of the country that you could go to to meet the needs you decribed early in the season.

joyparkway
11-14-2007, 11:36 AM
From a female point of view, I would vote Park City and stay near the mountain. If you stay in SLC you have to travel approx. 30-45 minutes to all of the mountains, which is good for the person who wants to ski, but not for the person who wants to shop. Park City/Deer Valley has great shopping and is very conveient for both parties.

Weez
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
From a female point of view, I would vote Park City and stay near the mountain. If you stay in SLC you have to travel approx. 30-45 minutes to all of the mountains, which is good for the person who wants to ski, but not for the person who wants to shop. Park City/Deer Valley has great shopping and is very conveient for both parties.

A female point of view is just what i needed! Can we walk to town if we stay at the base of the mountain in PC? The key for me is being able to walk not only to the village/town but also walk/ski-in our resort.

Thanks!

NPN
11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
To add further fuel to the fire we have friends telling us what a great village Vail is. I don't really care about the money part of it as much as i care about keeping everyone happy. I thought my decision was made but its now its completely up in the air :lol: I figure I really can't go wrong at any of the 3 but to be honest I love the thought of an old authentic western town to spend my evenings in. I ski primarily expert/intermediate with my son and spend some time with my daughter on the beginner slopes. I wont be doing any of the hardcore expert skiing but will spend most of my time on the blue, black and with some lesser time on the green and double black.

Bail on Vail. It's too small a base village to entertain for more than a day, and it's right next to I-70. If you want to go high rent district, Aspen is the call. Your wife could spend a week shopping hard, and still not hit every store. Some of the best restaurants in the world, and incredible night life ( not exactly my choice for a ski trip, I prefer my a.m. pain to be in my legs not my brain, but I'm trying to be all travel guide here ).

If you do decide to do Vail fly into Eagle; a much easier commute than Denver, and Aspen has itsown airport.

oneotwoandcounting
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I realize this is the Whiteface board but Ive gotten so much help from this board with questions about the Lake Placid Area i figured I would give it a shot here. In addition to my 5 or 6 Whiteface trips this year I want to take the wife and kids somewhere else this winter. I was thinking either Tremblant or out west ie: Colorado Steamboat, Telluride, Vail or even maybe Park City. My wife doesn't ski so restaurants and town shopping is real important. I would really like a true ski-in/out resort but its not the end of the world if i have to drive to the slopes. Any ideas? Ive never ski'd anywhere other than Gore, Whiteface, Hunter and Killington so this is new territory for me.

TIA Weez

Hi Weez,

You have received some good advice from people that have skied around. I spent decades skiing nothing but NY, VT, and a little PA, and NJ. I took my first trip out west to Tahoe fourteen years ago. Every trip has been terrific. I would do any of them again. I got carried away reminiscing these trips, if you are interested you can see my take on them at:

http://adkron.bizland.com/skiresort.html

Weez
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Bail on Vail. It's too small a base village to entertain for more than a day, and it's right next to I-70. If you want to go high rent district, Aspen is the call. Your wife could spend a week shopping hard, and still not hit every store. Some of the best restaurants in the world, and incredible night life ( not exactly my choice for a ski trip, I prefer my a.m. pain to be in my legs not my brain, but I'm trying to be all travel guide here ).

If you do decide to do Vail fly into Eagle; a much easier commute than Denver, and Aspen has itsown airport.

NPN

Aspen was actually my very first choice but the more i read on it the more concerned i got over the lack of beginner trails. I think my son and I would be fine with it but my daughter is pretty much a wolf and wolf run skier so i wasn't sure how much skiing she would get in. I am hoping this is the year she gets a little more confidence. She's perfectly capable of skiing intermediate but i just cant convince her of it. I even made a ski instructor from whiteface ski with her the last day last year and she tried a few times to get her up the hill but to no avail.

Weez
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the synopsis, it gives a nice description of each place. I hope i get to spend that much time out west in the next few years.

Telluride - I love the thought of taking a gondola into town, sounds like an awesome commute!

As for Tahoe, ive been there a few times in the summer, its absolutely gorgeous in the summer so i can only imagine what the winter must be like. Thats definitely on the agenda for one of my trips out west, if the family really enjoys themselves this year i hope to do 10 days next year and ski 2 separate states.

NPN
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM

NPN

Aspen was actually my very first choice but the more i read on it the more concerned i got over the lack of beginner trails. I think my son and I would be fine with it but my daughter is pretty much a wolf and wolf run skier so i wasn't sure how much skiing she would get in. I am hoping this is the year she gets a little more confidence. She's perfectly capable of skiing intermediate but i just cant convince her of it. I even made a ski instructor from whiteface ski with her the last day last year and she tried a few times to get her up the hill but to no avail.

I don't know your source, but I can tell you from experience that you'd probably be right if you were only talking about Ajax ( Aspen Mtn ), or the Highlands, but the other two mountains that make up the Aspen four pack have a bunch of beginner terrain. And, since a ticket at one gets you a ticket for all, you could be off at some more serious stuff one part of the day, and show up where your kids want to ski/ride with no extra out of pocket.

Just an FYI, I get no kickbacks from any of the places I've discussed in this thread ( unfortunately ).

joyparkway
11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Weez,

You really have gotten some good advice from people who know WAY more about skiing than I do. :wink: TJF and I went to SLC two years ago, stayed in SLC and skiied Snowbird and Deer Valley. Honestly, Deer Valley was my choice, but I had to see what all the "hype" was about. Its a gorgeous resort, everything is close and ammenities are endless, but I can see why its not on the top of a hardcore skiers list.
We only spent one day there (spent the rest of the time at Snowbird) but I do remember a few things- the resorts were big, beautiful and close to everything. It seemed that no matter where you stayed, it was either a short walk or a shuttle away from everything. From what I could tell, no driving necessary.
Also, if you have kids and they arent into skiing hardcore, Deer Valley was a great place. Lots of groomed trails and gorgeous lodges for your wife to relax in.
I'm no expert skier, but I have a feeling no matter where you stay or ski in Utah its going to be a great experience and a lot of fun for your family.

Whatever you choose- enjoy!

JP