PDA

View Full Version : 4 Day Vaca: Gore vs. WF

ski_newbie
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Looking for suggestions/preferences on Gore vs. WF for a trip planned for March 3-7th (we've pretty much decided to avoid the chaos of VT). I'm a relative newbie although I'm holding my own lately and my boyfriend's experienced on the slopes. Since we're way down in CT, we mostly hit Mohawk for short trips and Hunter when we have a full day. Last year got a day on Whistler which was AMAZING. I can handle reasonable blues but my guy needs more challenging terrain so we're looking for trails we can split for and reconnect at times. Anyone have suggestions on the advantages/disadvantages of trips to these mountains? Anyone have a crystal ball for the weather forecast? Suggestions on great places to stay/stop/eat would also be welcome. Thanks!

highpeaksdrifter
02-01-2006, 09:26 AM
If your going for four days why not try both and see which one you like best. I'm prejudice toward WF, but others here are loyal to Gore. It's really a matter of personel preference. As far as accomadations and apres ski go Lake Placid has alot to offer.

Phineas
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
We are all fingersCrosX hoping for a weather change up here in the Adirondacks. Your timeframe of early March coincides w/ our traditional snowy period. So w/ some luck - snow surfaces will be at their best...

I live 15 miles from WF and am very partial to her. Gore is a great family mtn and has some excellent glade skiing. I find Gore's expert terrain to be marginal though. Just too dang short. If they have snow in the woods it makes all the difference for expert type skiers..

WF is big but the way she sets up could work out for U2. Intermediate terrain is accessible off the same lifts as the expert terrain. For example, you both could ride the summit quad; U could ski parons and the follies while your BF rips Skyward and Cloudspin. Then meet up at Summit quad to ride back up.

U could also share rides on the mid chair, Little Whiteface, and ski excelsior back to mid while he enjoys Northway, Essex, approach to empire, upper Mackenzie, wilderness, parkway and tree skiing.. If conditions are good a decent intermediate could easily handle trials like Essex, lower Mackenzie and you have thruway, lower parkway and drapers drop that cruise nice.

An advanced expert skier has an 98% chance to become bored at Gore if glades are not primed - WF is more racer ready ripper type terrain..

Accomandations:

LP -
Mirror Lake Inn $$$$$
Hilton
Paradox Lodge $$

Eats -
Chair 6 for breakfast

Dinner -
Brown Dog
Caribbean Cowboy
Lisa Gs
Rustica Cafe

Saranac Lake:
Blue Moon Cafe for greasy digs
Morgans 11 - excellent wood fired pizza!

Tsavolion
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Looking for suggestions/preferences on Gore vs. WF for a trip planned for March 3-7th (we've pretty much decided to avoid the chaos of VT). I'm a relative newbie although I'm holding my own lately and my boyfriend's experienced on the slopes. Since we're way down in CT, we mostly hit Mohawk for short trips and Hunter when we have a full day. Last year got a day on Whistler which was AMAZING. I can handle reasonable blues but my guy needs more challenging terrain so we're looking for trails we can split for and reconnect at times. Anyone have suggestions on the advantages/disadvantages of trips to these mountains? Anyone have a crystal ball for the weather forecast? Suggestions on great places to stay/stop/eat would also be welcome. Thanks!

try both, but stay in LP. LP is more fun, better restaurants, bars etc. Phineas gave you perfect picks--i'd like to hang out with him sometime! you will probably like gore better if you are a beginner. your BF will like whiteface better. you'll be a better skier after a trip to whiteface though! have fun!

ski_newbie
02-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the advice! We booked a condo up by LP and are planning to hit Gore on our last day out. Looking forward to checking out all of Phineas' excellent suggestions. See you on the slopes!

Phineas
02-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice! We booked a condo up by LP and are planning to hit Gore on our last day out. Looking forward to checking out all of Phineas' excellent suggestions. See you on the slopes!

the Mirror Lake Inn has an awesome spa!