PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth a 4 hour drive for Friday?

midwestblues
11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Planning to drive up from NYC area with the family on Friday for opening day. We have Gore Mt season passes and hoping to get a jump start on the season. How dably will the weather (read "rain") effect the mountain and will it be worth the effort. Looks like is will be getting colder with a little snow on Thursday but will that just be a couple of inches of powder on top of a ice. Any advice is welcome. Eric

wondertrev
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Any opening day trip is a crapshoot. If you're already making the trip, though....

The snow-forecast.com/ prediction doesn't look that encouraging. I hope they're wrong.

Whiteface Mountain 3 Day Weather Forecast for 4436 ft issued at 12 am Wed 21 Nov
WEATHER SUMMARY: Heavy rain (total 1.6in), mostly on Wed night. Becoming colder with a light covering of snow ,mostly falling on Thu afternoon , Freeze-thaw conditions (max 37°F on Thu morning, min 5°F on Fri afternoon) Winds increasing (light winds from the SW on Wed afternoon, near gales from the SSW by Thu morning)

Best Ski Weather sez:

Tonight...
Rain. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
.Thanksgiving Day...
Rain in the morning...Then rain likely mixing with snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 1 inch possible. Highs around 40. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
.Thursday night...
Cloudy with scattered snow showers. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30 percent.
.Friday...
Cloudy in the morning...Then becoming partly sunny. Highs in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Anyone up in Wilmington have any info? It's a 30 minute drive for me, so no big loss, but what about the other folks? Is the rain f***ing everything up? Inquiring minds want to know.

11-21-2007, 04:11 PM
went to the mountain this morning to pick up the season pass. The mountain looks great. It rained today but stayed at 33 deg.. They only have to blow a small area by the quad to finish top to bottom skiing. Talked to a guy that skinned and skied and he said it was great. Going to get nothing but colder throughout the weekend. The only thing better looks like Jay and thats 8 hours. See you on the mountain.

wondertrev
11-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks, hope my daughter and I see you on Fri.