PDA

View Full Version : What was it like today?

midwestblues
11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
We cancelled our trip up this weekend because of the rain. What was the skiing like today?

Lbtchnlgs
11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Gondola didn't start bringing people up until about 12 30. It was like skiing on marbles, damn rain!!

I give props to the new groomer and mtn for doing as good of job as they did. They have a great base. Would report more but im in a rush

JC7727
11-23-2007, 10:29 PM
so it wasnt good :( How does tomorrow look?

11-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I got there at 10am, and left at 11:15am. There was nothing to ski and the lifts didn't run, and probably wern't going to be running, 'till 12:30 or beyond, so we bagged it, and made the TWO HOUR trek back home. 4 hours round trip for squat.

However, a gent named Steve was there directing traffic, answering questions, and doing damage control. He was real nice, cool, and honest when I talked to him, so big ups to that guy.

However...the day? Total waste.

wondertrev
11-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Pretty much why I said to hell with it. Will try again tomorrow when they say green runs will be open for the little ones. God, I hate the beginning of the season. Am so glad I live so close, and offer condolences to those that have to travel.

JC7727
11-24-2007, 01:00 AM
how did the snow look? that sucks about the lifts.

tjf67
11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Friday afternoon the ghondi opened and the snow was pretty good. It softened up was tons of fun. Sat was kinda scatchy. Was the day where you went real fast but could get in trouble quick. Sunday was killer. 2300 vert of carvable soft'hardpack.

Happy new year!!

highpeaksdrifter
11-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Friday - as reported it was tuff. They where my first turns of the season, so I was still grateful to get them.

Saturday - much better, sunny blue skys in the morning, better snow, no more chicken heads. In he afternoon snowmaking had to stop because National Grid needed WF to cut power it fix a problem caused by someone crashing into a pole.

The pics below where taken in a 2 minute span around 11:30 Sat. All the pics are from Upper Valley down. I didn’t take any on Excelsior. I just didn’t feel like devoting a lot of time to it. I wanted to keep moving.

Sunday - warmer and softer. Cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. The best conditions of the weekend and hardly anyone was there. They where pounding snow on Boreen and Upper and Lower Northway.

Commitment to excellence.

If we come out of tommorows forcast rain without much damage long range snowmaking forcast is looking pretty good.

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0001_003.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0002_001.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0004_001.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0003_001.sized.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0005_001.jpg

http://forums.skiadk.com/albums/album03/DSCI0006_002.jpg

highpeaksdrifter
11-25-2007, 07:45 PM
However, a gent named Steve was there directing traffic, answering questions, and doing damage control. He was real nice, cool, and honest when I talked to him, so big ups to that guy.

Steve is a very cool guy.

Speaking of WF employees congrats to Skier4life on his first 3 days at his new position. He was everything we all knew he would be, he never stopped working, was completely organized, constantly helping guests, kept checking with those in his charge to make sure everything was going well and went about everything with good cheer. They could not have hired a better person for the job.

wondertrev
11-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Sat. wasn't too bad. I was initially confined to Mixing Bowl because of the kiddo but when she got bored and we saw that the lift was going to close because of power prob, we went up the Face lift. Upper Valley was a bit icy (as usual) for the kiddo, but after a few minutes rest at Boules the rest of the way down the hill was cake. Nice snow, etc.... I just wish the safety folks would be a bit more aggressive in calming the hacker Jerseyites from schusssing the lower part of the run. You really don't wanna see what happens if some some drunk jackass takes out my kid. Many of my wife's co-workers do the Safety Enforcement team, and I wish there were more of them.

Skier 4 Life
11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Speaking of WF employees congrats to Skier4life on his first 3 days at his new position. He was everything we all knew he would be, he never stopped working, was completely organized, constantly helping guests, kept checking with those in his charge to make sure everything was going well and went about everything with good cheer. They could not have hired a better person for the job.

Thanks for the kind words HPD. But actually, you and the whole crew make the difference. I feel blessed to have a group of dedicated volunteers working with me makin' the mountain a fun (and safe) place to ski. :D

NPN
11-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Sat. wasn't too bad. I was initially confined to Mixing Bowl because of the kiddo but when she got bored and we saw that the lift was going to close because of power prob, we went up the Face lift. Upper Valley was a bit icy (as usual) for the kiddo, but after a few minutes rest at Boules the rest of the way down the hill was cake. Nice snow, etc.... I just wish the safety folks would be a bit more aggressive in calming the hacker Jerseyites from schusssing the lower part of the run. You really don't wanna see what happens if some some drunk jackass takes out my kid. Many of my wife's co-workers do the Safety Enforcement team, and I wish there were more of them.

Safety Enforcement team, and I wish there were more of them

I'm very happy to applaud the first appropriate ( partial ) comment you've ever made on this forum.

p.s.- That was the Bear lift, Mixing Bowl hasn't opened yet this season ( except for lift evac training, but we didn't have any snow then ).

p.s.s.- ORDA has changed the name to Safety AWARENESS Patrol.

wondertrev
11-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Safety Enforcement team, and I wish there were more of them

I'm very happy to applaud the first appropriate ( partial ) comment you've ever made on this forum.

p.s.- That was the Bear lift, Mixing Bowl hasn't opened yet this season ( except for lift evac training, but we didn't have any snow then ).

p.s.s.- ORDA has changed the name to Safety AWARENESS Patrol.

Gee, thanks Dad.

However, Bear hasn't opened to the public yet. We were skiing Mixing Bowl until they closed at 1:15 due to power problems. Don't know what they did with ski classes after that. All in all, it was an erratic weekend.

Weez
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
How did you guys fare up there today with the weather? Rain? Snow? Sleet?

tjf67
11-27-2007, 08:47 AM

It rained like a bastard all night. We still have snow on the ground and may Be the slides go a snow event. For the most part it was all rain.

Weez
11-27-2007, 12:54 PM

It rained like a bastard all night. We still have snow on the ground and may Be the slides go a snow event. For the most part it was all rain.

Damn i was really hoping to hear it snowed like a bitch :(