PDA

View Full Version : you know what would be cool

tjf67
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
If on the web sight or on the trail maps they had the different trails market that were used in the 80 and 32 olympics.

I have been skiing here for 8 years and I still am sure where all the events were held.

campgottagopee
11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I agree, and I'm surprised that don't have that info already.

Skier 4 Life
11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
If on the web sight or on the trail maps they had the different trails market that were used in the 80 and 32 olympics.

I have been skiing here for 8 years and I still am sure where all the events were held.

Just a little history... the 32 Olympics did NOT include any Alpine events at Whiteface or anywhere else. The 80 Olympics, of course, had the 3 basic disciplines, including M & W Slalom (held on Mountain Run), M & W Giant Slalom (Upper Parkway & Thruway down to Lower Valley) plus M Downhill (Upper/Lower Cloudspin to Broadway to Lower Valley) & W Downhill (Skyward to Easy Street to Boreen to Ladies Bridge to Lower Valley).

There are also a number of buildings still on the mtn. built for those events including: Men's S + GS Start House (Mtn. Run), M & W Slalom Finish Bldg. (Mtn. Run), Women's Downhill Start House (Skyward) and the M & W GS & Downhill Finish Building ('Tower 10' on Lower Valley across from Nastar at the top of the Bear lift). You may have also noticed the Finish Line scoreboards on Mtn. Run (Slalom) and Lower Valley, near the base of the Freeway lift (GS & Downhill). All structures are in their original locations except for the GS & Downhill Finish Bldg. which was moved in the mid to late 80s to the side of the (Lower Valley) trail.

And I too think its a good idea, tgf67... the trail maps and/or website should be marked somehow to show this.

highpeaksdrifter
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Here’s a little more Olympic history. Did you know that Skier4Life had a ticket for what would become to be known as the Miracle on Ice (arguably the most important event in US Olympic history) and he decided he didn’t want to go. Hmmm…probably not the best decision he ever made. :wink:

NPN
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Here’s a little more Olympic history. Did you know that Skier4Life had a ticket for what would become to be known as the Miracle on Ice (arguably the most important event in US Olympic history) and he decided he didn’t want to go. Hmmm…probably not the best decision he ever made. :wink:

OUCH!!!

But, in fearless leader's defense, it was expected to be a nightmare for the US team ( not to mention, it was scheduled to start right in the middle of Happy Hour. Can you imagine the talent in town for a Winter Olympics ).

Skier 4 Life
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Nice, HPD. Real Nice. Actually, I was only 15 at the time and I wasn't smart enough to realize what was happening out my back door. :oops:

Come to think of it, I was just too dang tired from hiking up to the top of Skyward with my buddy to watch the women's downhill race that AM. Maybe I DID have my priorities straight... at least I can say I saw every alpine event at the '80 Olympics... in person! :P

P.S. BTW, you had to 'earn' your spot on the course each day/event... by hiking up on foot from the bottom since they wouldn't let spectators ride the lifts to watch the races. :roll:

NPN
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
[quote=highpeaksdrifter]BTW, you had to 'earn' your spot on the course each day/event... by hiking up on foot from the bottom since they wouldn't let spectators ride the lifts to watch the races. :roll:

You know, I'd been feeling conflicted about opting to work the '79/'80 season at Snowbird, and missing the Olympic fun. Now that I hear this, I'm feeling much better about hitting neck deeps all day in February, and watching the entire race with my 3.2s from the couch.

campgottagopee
11-29-2007, 07:44 AM

Nice, HPD. Real Nice. Actually, I was only 15 at the time and I wasn't smart enough to realize what was happening out my back door. :oops:

Come to think of it, I was just too dang tired from hiking up to the top of Skyward with my buddy to watch the women's downhill race that AM. Maybe I DID have my priorities straight... at least I can say I saw every alpine event at the '80 Olympics... in person! :P

P.S. BTW, you had to 'earn' your spot on the course each day/event... by hiking up on foot from the bottom since they wouldn't let spectators ride the lifts to watch the races. :roll:

Too bad you didn't go. I remeber watching that on TV and to this day still get chills thinking about that game. At least you stayed in town!!! My cousin was living in LP during the Olympics and decided to rent his place out for some bucks. To this day he kicks himself in the ass for leavin'. But as you say, how the heck was anyone to know.

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
how about putting together a nice display in the base lodge?

oneotwoandcounting
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM

It doesn’t sound like you feel too bad about missing the game TJ. In 1986 I had two tickets to game 6 of the Mets/Redsox World Series. I gave them to a fellow co-worker that was a huge Mets fan. I missed (in person) Mookie Wilson’s famous “muffed” dribble down to first base. I saw it on TV instead. Not quite “The Miracle on Ice” but a blunder on my part all the same. The person I gave them to was a much bigger Mets fan than I am and enjoyed the moment far more than I would have so no regrets.

asland
11-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I would love to see some kind of an exhibit at whiteface. It seems like they used to have more signs out on the mountain like mens slalom start, mens downhill...

btw: I was eight years old when the Olympics were in lake placid. My dad drove back roads through 6 inches of snow to sneak into town the bus area where we were able to get into town and get tickets for a bunch of events. We went over to the hockey arena with about 10 min left in the second period but not the final hockey game. We went over and started begging security to let us in. When the us team scored all the security ran in to see the game and we did too. It still gives me goosebumps to think about how crazy the crowd was going. I'm not known for my patriotism but the chant of usa still makes me have goosebumps.

asland

NPN
11-29-2007, 11:35 PM
As I was just discussing with a friend, it always amazes me how lucky we are to have access to this area, and its outrageously profound history.

Add that fact to the weather SCHWEEEEEET for Sunday, and I'll feel comfortable enough to say that the nightmare jinx of the early '06 start is WAY behind us.

Bust the Phat!!!