PDA

View Full Version : do you think gore is behind?

jimmer
12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
first off i know its been a great start, best weve had in some time,and with that being said dont you think gore could have more open than they do,iwas just watching the ski reports and there are places with allmost all of there terrain open, and with gores 25 trails,it seems to me that they are way behind everyone else,this may sound a bit to critical,but i guess ill allways want more.probably with this recent snow thell be able to get there trail count up more quickly.im not really bitching,more just wishing they could open stuff up faster,ya know more than one trail at a time.that is all im done,see ya tomorrow.b 8) jimmer

Harvey44
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Jimmer - I've come to accept that it's one or two trails at a time. I assume it's a matter of compressor power. It is fairly weak, but it is also much better than it was ten years ago.

Think about it this way...if the snowmaking (and lift speed and parking and lodge areas and yaddi yaddi yadda...) were like Killington, then the crowds and the condos would be too.

Glad you are getting out. Now I'm the one with work in the way. Hope I can get away to get up this week.

Harv

St. Jerry
12-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Yes, Gore's effort is weak at best. Here are my previous comments on this topic:

http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1571

mikebike
12-16-2007, 09:26 PM
if ya wanted biggest / fastest/ most snow /most trails ---- you would not be a faithful Gore skier....

but is you want reasonable crowds and lines and friendly folk with decent snow --- well you are at the right place.

even on a bsy day in Feb you can naviagate the mountian and enjoy solitude and reasonable lines and if you ski hard enough you will not even notice the slower lifts....

I been sking Gore since the mid 70's and still find it enchanting right up to that last run of the day finishing down sunway in the late afternoon....ahhhhh what a day

jimmer
12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
dude ya live in friggen flordia for crist sake how many of those enchanting days do you get?if you were there all the time you might get where im comming from,as far as being a faithful gore skier ive had a season pass for the last 21 years and more than that when i was a kid when mom and pop where buying.and ski at least 70 to 80 days a year at gore so i know whats going on,and all im saying is they could be more proficent in there ways,witch i would love too see. that is all,im done
b 8) jimmer

NPN
12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
I spent the opening, and following weekend at Whiteface then came down to Gore last weekend.

You all are not only right about Gore being behind, but after just coming back from an almost entirely open Whiteface, you should be flat out livid with how far behind Gore is.

Supposedly, you have the same compressor capacity, and gun count as Whiteface. They're controlled by the same management group, so what's the problem.

Wish I had an answer for you, but I do sympathize.

You'd think after the nightmare that was last Xmas/Holiday week they'd be taking advantage of the perfect snowmaking temps to recoup some of the lost revenue, and have the joint pristine.

mikebike
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
dude ya live in friggen flordia for crist sake how many of those enchanting days do you get?if you were there all the time you might get where im comming from,as far as being a faithful gore skier ive had a season pass for the last 21 years and more than that when i was a kid when mom and pop where buying.and ski at least 70 to 80 days a year at gore so i know whats going on,and all im saying is they could be more proficent in there ways,witch i would love too see. that is all,im done
b jimmer

Jimmer..... no offense intended.... you are certainly faithful Gore skier... and that confirms that you are...... bit by the enchanting (not perfect) GORE---- but---- ithas kept you coming back for 21+ years. Got cha there..... and I hasten to add that is not a bad thing.

I enjoy your insights .....and humor....
---------
yes I know I only ski 15 or so days a year but I get to ride my bicycle year round and that is my passion regarding sports.... and ya have to make choices....

thanks for your comments.... now get out there and enjoy the new fresh you have .... i do not get to ski there till Jan 24/25/26

ENJOY 8)

mike

adkskier
12-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Jimmer is right on the money....so is bikemike. Gore has lots to love and they are making progress in their mountain management (very slowly), but they never seem to quite get everything right at the same time. I've come to remark "oh so close, almost got it this week" on more than one occasion....and I, too, love the place.As to the Whiteface comparison - I'm convinced that there is a significant difference in the quality of the local management. Most of the gore operation is controlled locally. the days of blaming ORDA in LP are really behind us.

Harvey44
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Never thought I see Jimmer use the word "enchanting" in a post. That alone is worth the price of entry. :D

Back on point...right now is not the time that Gore's lack of ability or willingness to blow snow is most evident. It's been cold as heaven and alot is open. (Not counting today's windhold.)

The real test is coming. It's GOING to get warm after xmas and THEN we'll see what is what.

I'm going to do my best to get up this week. You should too. Next week could be dicey.

Keep hammerin.

Harv

jimmer
12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
i know -enchanting,ppfff,from me no less,but mike used it first,dont want to start no war here, thought id just throw that idea out there and see what others thought.
as far as today went ,got there pretty early[well for me any ways]and every thing was shut down,fired up the super double after awhile,and that was it for the day,very cold and very windy,never even booted up,can you say freshies for tomorrow.

jimmer

mattchuck2
12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't know . . .

If you told me at the beginning of the season that I would have skied Lies, The Cave, Strightbrook Glades and a few other unmentionable glades by December 17th, I would've told you that you were on Crack.

If we get Rumor by New Year's, I'll be one happy man.

Buella79
12-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Jimmer.. you are freakin' Halarious..All I have to say is see ya in the A.M and we will see what is open to ski... or not so much :twisted:

adksara
12-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Yup... everytime I go up early in the season I do the 'they should've, they could've' grumbles. And every year I buy my pass again and do the same routine all over! :) I think that eventually mountain management will get things running - right - and right away... I guess in the long run it doesn't matter 'cause I like the mountain, the trails, the people and usually I go home a happy lady.

...but until then I'm enjoying what's open - what's groomed (and not!) and grinning that I'm skiing before X-mas. Last year I was wicked grumpy due to lack of skiing - so much so my husband fired up our homemade snow gun and made snow on our front yard for me for Christmas down in GF! :D

Oh and Jimmer... "enchanting?" :lol: Nice!

Keep the cheer - see you on the Mtn. Saturday!
AdkSara

NPN
12-17-2007, 08:04 PM
When do you think the entire mountain will be open?

kornfein
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Along with the thread line on Gore being behind. What is the story with Foxliar? I can't believe they haven't blown snow on it yet. This trail use to be one of the first open and should still be. Having Ruby Run as the only way down is bad because it puts experts and novices on the same trail with experts trying to go as fast as possible to avoid walking. In addition it has to be a major hassle for snowboarders with all the flat spots on it. Gore already has a reputation of being "Chore" mountain you would thing they would want to have a run that does not involve walking open early.

jimmer
12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Along with the thread line on Gore being behind. What is the story with Foxliar? I can't believe they haven't blown snow on it yet. This trail use to be one of the first open and should still be. Having Ruby Run as the only way down is bad because it puts experts and novices on the same trail with experts trying to go as fast as possible to avoid walking. In addition it has to be a major hassle for snowboarders with all the flat spots on it. Gore already has a reputation of being "Chore" mountain you would thing they would want to have a run that does not involve walking open early.

they started blowing foxlair today,though the snow toward the bottom looked very yellow.should be ready soon.allso started blowing on uncas and pete gay.

the skiing was awsome today,packed pow all over the place,still some freshies on top of the hill,got to ski lies just when they dropped the rope,headwall was scraped but boot high fluff the rest of the way=sweet.didnt make it into the trees but heard they were pretty good.get out there and get some before the hordes show up.

dont forget demo day tomorrow.

St. Jerry
12-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I spent the opening, and following weekend at Whiteface then came down to Gore last weekend.

You all are not only right about Gore being behind, but after just coming back from an almost entirely open Whiteface, you should be flat out livid with how far behind Gore is.

Supposedly, you have the same compressor capacity, and gun count as Whiteface. They're controlled by the same management group, so what's the problem.

You'd think after the nightmare that was last Xmas/Holiday week they'd be taking advantage of the perfect snowmaking temps to recoup some of the lost revenue, and have the joint pristine.

I think the phrase here is "be careful what you wish for, or you just might get it."

What I mean is that Gore's operations have always been inconsistenet and this inconsistency has made some people decide they would prefer to visit a more professionally run mountain (not Gore). So, for better or worse, this inconsistency in operations keeps the mountain at a competitive disadvantage vs. Vermont resorts.

But, the way I see it, a 2nd class mountain keeps prices and crowds lower. Pick your poison: better quality and higher prices/crowds or vice versa. I'm sure we would all complain if it was more expensive and more crowded even though Gore had better amenitites and more consistenet quality of operations.

$0.02

(I find myself saying that Gore "almost got it right" a lot of the time as well.)

Harvey44
12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
What St Jerry said. I agree 100%.

NPN
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM

I think the phrase here is "be careful what you wish for, or you just might get it."

Okay, I take it back, I don't wish I had an answer for you. Regardless, Happy Holidays, and I hope we're all thankful for what we've got. I sure am, especially when I consider the state of things 365 days ago.