PDA

View Full Version : Uh,Oh- Rain Sunday?

tobnpr
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
We're scheduled to come up (FL) on New Years day (our third year in a row) and we've been getting stoked over all the snow you've been getting up there. Now I read that it's supposed to RAIN Sunday. OH NO! Last year we had to cancel and resched for Feb because you guys were golfing at Christmas. What's the local forecast for rain at the mountain this weekend- and if it holds, how badly will it screw things up for us beginners? Our first year was truly "Iceface" and I don't want to repeat that... I was one black and blue sumbitch...

Problem is we've got until Monday to cancel without ridiculous penalties. Thoughts? (or prayers :) )

highpeaksdrifter
12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
The conditions for Dec. are outstanding. We might get a little rain, sleet, snow, mix, on Sunday,so what?
Get yourself up hear you will not regret it.

NPN
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/tenday/12997?from=36hr_topnav_ski

Agreed, we've got crazy base compared to last season, and the little bit of rain ( that may, or may not happen ) will be tilled out of the snow pack long before you arrive.

takeahike46er
12-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the possibility of some mixed precip on Sunday. Cold and snow will prevail for next week so conditions should recover quickly. There is a great base right now. Besides... New Year's is nearly two weeks away. Sunday's weather will not have much bearing on the conditions for New Year's Day, especially if you are skiing beginner terrain.

Face4Me
12-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd have to agree with everyone else at this point ... this weekend is gonna be a bit wet, but given the base that's been built up, one day of showers (they're only talking about 1/4 inch or so) shouldn't do any damage. After Sunday, the forecast is currently pointing to a return to cooler temps, and that's the bigger concern. As long as the temps don't start getting too warm for a bunch of days in a row, everything should be fine for Christmas week through New Years Day.

NPN
12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
p.s.- t., congrats on getting what a special place this area is, and repeatedly picking it over a trip out West. Believe me when I say you won't be anything but extremely happy with the conditions for your New Year's celebration.

tobnpr
12-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Whew- good news. Can't wait to get back there :)

And Congratulations- I'm sure you all know that Whiteface/LP was ranked as the #4 Ski destination in North America by Conde Nast Traveler, beating out all the "big" name mountains out west! AWESOME! But we don't want too many people to "get it" do we?- that would spoil it!

tjf67
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Something you probably already know but if it is icey follow the guns. Its always a snowstorm in them.

Weez
12-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Sweeeeeet! my wife has been running like a dog getting ready for xmas so i never expected to go skiing this weekend but i figured what harm could it be to float the idea out there. Well to my total amazement she said yes! Im headed to Lake Placid tonite right after our Xmas party. See ya on the slopes this weekend :lol:

Harvey44
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Amazing optimism here.

tobnpr
12-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Looks like another chance for a shot of rain next weekend, but at least it looks like it's going to remain cold enough in between for snowmaking and maybe a little more nat.
Would appreciate an update after this rain system passes tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Adirondackskier
12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Currently it is 10:57 it has not rained yet, but it is very warm. it is currently 42 winds picked up a little bit so the summit quad is closed currently. All other lifts including the Little Whtieface Chair and Gondola are operating.

Will update a little later this morning.

Skiing and riding is great! Base is fine!

SKIdds
12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I bet today ends up being a pretty good day. Spring conditions in December!!

A day of warm weather with a little light rain shouldn't hurt the base, but lookout for tomorrow....it's sure to be a wee bit firm ;). I always figure that early in the season this kind of thing is good. Warm it, wet it, and freeze it solid.....that base won't go anywhere all season.

highpeaksdrifter
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Amazing optimism here.

and well founded. Yeah it sucked when it rained Sunday night, but things where pretty good Mon. morning and got better durning the day. Everything they where able to groom after the rain was in good shape. Sonw guns where blasting and it was snowing hard.

A guy who had not been there Sat. and Sun. said to me in the lodge, "We just got here today and we can't believe how great the conditions are."

In the NE you have to be able to recover quickly from Mother Nature's little set backs and WF can.

highpeaksdrifter
12-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Currently it is 10:57 it has not rained yet, but it is very warm. it is currently 42 winds picked up a little bit so the summit quad is closed currently. All other lifts including the Little Whtieface Chair and Gondola are operating.

Will update a little later this morning.

Skiing and riding is great! Base is fine!

No rain at all till around 3:30. Sun. was like skiing on a great spring day. Nice bumps on Essex, Lower Mac and a seeded course on Wilderness. Much fun.

JC7727
12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
they are blowing, I have no idea why Gore is not.

Adirondackskier
12-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I had a great day today. I definitely followed the guns and it was sooooo much fun. I have to say I took one run off the facelift for fun down Easy Street, Upper Boreen, Boreen and fell in love with it. Spent the rest of the day off the FAcelift. Kids Kampus trails had natural powder on them, it was really nice to just enjoy being nestled in those fabulous trails just working on some fun carving kicking back and relaxing. Silver was my favorite today. I love the summit and Mountain Run, but I appreciate all the trails at the mountain. It was just so fun to visit with friends and laugh in the lift lines.

BTW BRAVO to all those rocking the 80 one Piece suits they are awesome!!!!!! I am loving the style on the mountain.

Good times all around, dude from Florida you made a great decision not to cancel because it is only going to get better from here.

Once again Merry Christmas!!!!!

tobnpr
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Great news. Can't wait!
If you guys don't mind, one more question.
We're going to spend our first day (Wed.) at Kids Kampus, mainly because we're familiar with the trails there now (and I can make it down without wiping out- sucks being a newbie at 40-something!). Thurs. we're going to take a day of private lessons to continue the learning experience. Then we're on our own and would like to (hopefully) "move" up from the Kid's Kampus and ski over at the main mountain. Which trail(s) would you suggest as the next "step" for us? In other words, are all "green" trails about the same level of difficulty or is there a variance among them?

Thanks again for all the help and support, both on this board and at the mountain. Even last year during President's weekend, everyone at the mountain (staff and skiers alike) was so courteous and friendly- despite the crowds. It's why we've made it a family "tradition" and hope to return year after year. I guess the next step is for us to pay a summertime visit...

Merry XMAS to all!

Face4Me
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Great news. Can't wait!
If you guys don't mind, one more question.
We're going to spend our first day (Wed.) at Kids Kampus, mainly because we're familiar with the trails there now (and I can make it down without wiping out- sucks being a newbie at 40-something!). Thurs. we're going to take a day of private lessons to continue the learning experience. Then we're on our own and would like to (hopefully) "move" up from the Kid's Kampus and ski over at the main mountain. Which trail(s) would you suggest as the next "step" for us? In other words, are all "green" trails about the same level of difficulty or is there a variance among them?

Thanks again for all the help and support, both on this board and at the mountain. Even last year during President's weekend, everyone at the mountain (staff and skiers alike) was so courteous and friendly- despite the crowds. It's why we've made it a family "tradition" and hope to return year after year. I guess the next step is for us to pay a summertime visit...

Merry XMAS to all!
Moving to the main mountain, you should definitely stick to the Face lift for starters ... take Easy Way/East Street to Boreen back to the Face Lift ... Would suggest you avoid the Gondola till your comfortable on the Face Lift ... there'll be a lot of traffic on Excelsior due to the holiday week.

wondertrev
12-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm a big fan of the Bear lift when I take my kiddo out of the Kids Kampus. Almost no one seems to ski there, and the Deer, Bear, and Wolf runs are a bit longer than those off the KK lift. The best thing is that you can stay away from the folks that ignore the slow skiing sign and come ripping down Lower Valley.