PDA

View Full Version : The Winter of My Discontent

freeheelwilly
02-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Today it's gray.

The warm drizzle on my windshield this morning mocked me. The brown, muddy lawns scoffed at me. The open water on Lake Champlain ridiculed me. They taunted me with my own words, exuberantly proclaimed in November. Waaaaay back in November. Before I knew any better. Before I experienced January. Before the cruel vagaries of that most fickle of the empirical sciences, meteorology, visited upon me its unique brand of misery. Before reality sunk in.

“I’ve got a feeling we’re in for an epic season!”
“This will be the one!”
“We’re due!”

November. So far away now. We were young then. Brimming with hope; expectant with promise.

Young.

Wide eyed.

Uninitiated.

Blissfully bereft of the knowledge that burdens us now. Our collective mood unsullied by the rains of January. Unaffected by the merciless advance of a seemingly endless parade of low pressure systems which track, unerringly, to our west bringing copious quantities of snow to such winter sports capitals as Cleveland, Ohio and Gary, Indiana.

The meteorologists assure us that change is in the offing and that, before very long, our precious hills will be awash with powder, our favorite trails choked with snow. And I want to believe.

I so desperately want to believe.

But today it’s gray. And tomorrow it surely will be gray again.

highpeaksdrifter
02-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Willy, that was well written. Very dark and Irishlike, kinda like James Joyce. That said, you need to seek help, you're about to have a nervous breakdown. Either see a professional therapist or triple your alcohol intake.

AdironRider
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Fly west immediately for best results

Son of Drifter
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Today it's gray.

The warm drizzle on my windshield this morning mocked me. The brown, muddy lawns scoffed at me. The open water on Lake Champlain ridiculed me. They taunted me with my own words, exuberantly proclaimed in November. Waaaaay back in November. Before I knew any better. Before I experienced January. Before the cruel vagaries of that most fickle of the empirical sciences, meteorology, visited upon me its unique brand of misery. Before reality sunk in.

“I’ve got a feeling we’re in for an epic season!”
“This will be the one!”
“We’re due!”

November. So far away now. We were young then. Brimming with hope; expectant with promise.

Young.

Wide eyed.

Uninitiated.

Blissfully bereft of the knowledge that burdens us now. Our collective mood unsullied by the rains of January. Unaffected by the merciless advance of a seemingly endless parade of low pressure systems which track, unerringly, to our west bringing copious quantities of snow to such winter sports capitals as Cleveland, Ohio and Gary, Indiana.

The meteorologists assure us that change is in the offing and that, before very long, our precious hills will be awash with powder, our favorite trails choked with snow. And I want to believe.

I so desperately want to believe.

But today it’s gray. And tomorrow it surely will be gray again.

Amen brother.

bsmaven
02-03-2006, 03:50 PM
It's all my fault. I bought one of those Gore/Whiteface $79 passes and I never buy passes or tickets ahead of time. I jinxed the winter.

Phineas
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
we had similar weather pattern - lots of mositure in the NW, very dry in the SW and then come Febs/March it was epic snow dumps for the NE!!! WF got 7 feet in the month of March alone!

It was the greatest ski year of my life!!

I am not gonna let U "glass half full types" bring me down!!!!

Willy that was very well written bud!

Son of Drifter
02-04-2006, 09:56 AM
we had similar weather pattern - lots of mositure in the NW, very dry in the SW and then come Febs/March it was epic snow dumps for the NE!!! WF got 7 feet in the month of March alone!

It was the greatest ski year of my life!!

I am not gonna let U "glass half full types" bring me down!!!!

Willy that was very well written bud!

You mean glass half empty types. Keep the faith. Right now it's all we got. :twisted:

Phineas
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
You mean glass half empty types

yeah thats what I meant!

freeheelwilly
02-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Just disregard the above. It's hammering right now and it's gonna be cold all week. It's all good.