PDA

View Full Version : Whiteface Web Site review

tjf67
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
It is marginal at best.

Where are the pictures? They should buy a camera and give it out to a few locals that are on the hill all the time and have them click away.

The sweater ball. It supposed to be big but I could not find any details on the web page?

what else is it lacking?

I do like the link to the traveling weather man.

NPN
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3626

kerovick
01-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I'll state the obvious..

There webcams are in the worst positions Ive ever seen.

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
First off, the site is MUCH better than it was even just a couple years ago. Big-time improvement.

However, Whiteface is still far behind....

- The "news beat" seems to be updated once every two weeks.

- There's no story of the mountain, its history, what the culture is, etc. Where's the olympic heritage? An excel spreadsheet of mountain stats just doesn't cut it. There is a little blurb in the "Off Mountain" section, but who clicks on "off mountain" to find about Whiteface? How about calling the link "Lake Placid and Olympic Heritage" or something like that? And putting it beneath "On Mountain"?

- The trail map is a joke. Can anyone who doesn't know the mountain by heart make sense of all the squiggly lines? Plus, all the cat tracks that are marked as trails make the summit appear to be predominatly intermediate, when it's not. Lastly, I dislike how only about 15 names of open trails are displayed at any given time.

- The Whiteface webcam is in a bad location. How about mounting it on one of the lower gondola poles? I think you'd be able to get a view of the trails and the upper mountain.

- The "daily" pictures are not very good (to put it mildly).

- There appears to be an error with the website, because when you click on "Off Mountain" the other sub-links on the left side of the page show up beneath their headings, but, when you click on any other heading, the sub-links in the other sections disappear.

- Another error is when you click on "On Mountain" the "Winter Season Prep" from LAST SEASON comes up.

- The only way to get back to the "News" section is to click on the "Home" link at the top of the page, which is a little confusing.

- Why isn't there a prominent link to information on the expansion?

- Where's information on Bicknell's Thrush? The mountain put up some good information in the base lodge.

Harvey44
01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
You should be able to get to snow conditions right from the home page. As a guy who doesn't visit the site much, I always have to dig for snow information. 10" of new snow should be front page news.

snowman
01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
It would be great if the main page, or the conditions page, could have up to date info. Today is a great example - big winds - it would be great if the web was up to date enough to say if stuff was on wind hold. Others have said - Jay's site is great. It has info like this - what is on hold, how long they expect it to be on hold.

Heck, why not have the Boule's Bistro specials of the day on the site?

I have been getting info here that should be on the site- the demo day last week was not there (I don't think it was there). It seems like the people running the site are not there, maybe they are in India. :-)

On the positive side, the site is really good looking. It just needs to updated a couple times a day.

It does seem to be getting better....