PDA

View Full Version : How do you ski Whiteface?

freeheelwilly
12-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I mean first run, what do ya' do?

Me? A gondi to top of Lil' WF. Then Essex with a cut back at the bottom to turn 4, traverse the connecter, Lower Spin to Chair 6. Something good off the top (preferably upper Cloud), down to G and see what's goin' on off of it (N-way, Mac, Wilderness, Mountain Run, Parkway, Thruway you get the drill)

How do you do it?

highpeaksdrifter
12-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Hmmm....I never really thought about it. Gondi for sure, then probably approach cause I want to see if Empire is open or has been poached. Then whichever looks best.

mattchuck2
12-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Usually, After taking the Gondola up I go Exelsior to Lower Cloudspin to the Summit Chair and hit Cloudspin and Skyward. Then, after I do a few laps there, I go back to the midstation, take the Mountain Run Double, and start taking down Mountain Run, Wilderness, MacKenzie, High Country Glades (if open) Parkway, Thruway and Draper's (if I'm wearing my tiwn tips). After these runs I use the freeway chair because nobody's ever on it, and I don't mind wending my way through people on Lower Valley. At that point, I'll usually have found something good and I continue to bang out runs until around 3:30-4.

I failed to mention the Slides or Empire because they never seem to be open when I'm there. Obviously, I'd hit those hardcore if they were open.

Tsavolion
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Willy - we call that the "regular route"

freeheelwilly
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Well goody-goody 2 shoes for you. :roll: We call it "Plan A". That's much cooler.

And what kinda name is Tsavolion? What are you, some kinda man-eater? I don't think so. :lol:

Tsavolion
01-06-2006, 10:56 AM

Well goody-goody 2 shoes for you. :roll: We call it "Plan A". That's much cooler.

And what kinda name is Tsavolion? What are you, some kinda man-eater? I don't think so. :lol:

Oh really? well i dont think so. do you have names for "the longest run", "the full sky", "straight drop"...i think not. those names are THE coolest. You wouldnt make fun of tsavolion if you could see him running in the forest with his velveteen ears!!!

freeheelwilly
01-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Oh really? well i dont think so. do you have names for "the longest run", "the full sky", "straight drop"...i think not. those names are THE coolest. You wouldnt make fun of tsavolion if you could see him running in the forest with his velveteen ears!!!

His ears are made of bad cheese? Yuck!

I hate to admit it but those are cool names - especially "the full sky". What's the "longest run"? Follies-Paron's-Excelsior-connector-lower cloud-uppervalley-lower valley-burtons-drapers-lower valley?

"straight drop": Niagara?

Faceplant
01-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Pretty much the same but chair six isn't open until nine (only sleepyheads get there for the first run) so down Easy Street to Upper Boreen, Ladies bridge to Danny's Bridge to Gondola. 6 is ready by run 2.

AdironRider
01-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I ride the Gondola first, cruise down Excelsior to the Crossover. Lower Cloudspin to summit chair then a couple runs down Skyward. (Im thinking Im going to have to check out Upper Cloudspin now that is open as it wasnt ever last year when I was there) After a few of those runs I make my way down to mid-station, ride the double to the top of Little Whiteface and rip down Mt. Run, Northway, and Upper/Lower Mackenzie (my personal favorite trails on the whole mt.).