PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for our annual trip.

skiboats
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Been coming for 8 consecutive years now and really looking forward to it! Even though we are only 5 hours away, it is like a different world for us.
My family always has a great time. Be there the 2nd - 4th. Should be good. Just sayin.

toofaraway
02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm not a local, but I've been coming up for a while. I don't think I'm out on a limb saying the conditions are the best they've been in years. Maybe ever. :D You are going to have a blast.

NPN
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Congrats on being part of those special few who get this amazing place. No doubt you'll have another great stay. Enjoy.

skiboats
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Monday was our day to ski and what I thought was going to be a disaster, freezing rain at 8:00 turned out very nice. By the time we got there at about 9:30 it had cleared up, and ended up turning into a very nice day. A little warm for my liking but the snow held up real well. My kids made it to the top and we we had a great day.

highpeaksdrifter
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Monday was our day to ski and what I thought was going to be a disaster, freezing rain at 8:00 turned out very nice. By the time we got there at about 9:30 it had cleared up, and ended up turning into a very nice day. A little warm for my liking but the snow held up real well. My kids made it to the top and we we had a great day.

That's great. What did you guys do the other days you didn't ski?

skiboats
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, we live in Buffalo so left Sunday morning around 10:30 and checked in to the Goldon Arrow around 3:30. I rented a 2 room suite with a fireplace/whirlpool. Nice, so we just kind of hung, made a few drinks through a couple of logs on the fire and went into town for dinner, Petes Steakhouse. Very good.

Monday pretty much skied all day. got back to the Inn jumped in the whirlpool, drank, fireplace, dinner, Jimmies 21. Not so good. Fireplace a DVD and crashed.

Tuesday checked out around noon. Shopped around town went to the Downhill Grill for lunch. Very good and headed back. Home by about 7:30 not so bad, and the kids had a snow day the next day!

One full day at Whitface and I am fufilled and pretty whipped.

We will be back next year. The skiing at home has also been exceptional, Holiday Valley. I get out about 3 times a week.

Would like to meet up sometime. I post on Epic on most Whiteface topics as I have grown to really like it and encourage others to go.

Makes for a real nice get away. Afordable during the week. I gladly pull my kids out of school to be in the mountains.

Denison
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
glad to hear you had a good time, but why one day only?

skiboats
03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Another day of skiing= 187 in lift tickets. That is a discounted rate, 2 adults, 2 teen, 1 junior. 200 for the room 150 or so for dinner. Another day off work and school, it starts to ad up pretty quick.

As I mentioned 1 day skiing, a good full day, satisfies the whole family.

Makes for a nice get away.

We also have a family pass at Holiday Valley, here at home, so we do get out a fair amount. At least I do.

I know I could find a cheaper room and eat at Subway, but cramming 5 people in a small room turns into a brawl.

So 2 nights in a 2 room suite, some nice dinners, a great day of skiing is just the ticket. Had it been an epic day, on the day we leave, we might have skiied and driven home after. I always have that option. Tuesday the 4th would have been crummy I think.

snowman
03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
That is what makes LP a great place - ski if you want, but there are other things to do! I admire anyone that skis with their family. That is a pile of money in the tickets. Good that you all had a good time!

Holiday Valley - home of Radio Ron! They probably got pounded with snow last weekend.

skiboats
03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
We got about 17 inches. The skiing is very good right now. They have huge snowmaking capacity too.

Yup, the family thing has really worked out. My wife was a skier already and I skied since I was a kid. I have had my kids on skis since they were 4 or so and all love it, although as teens they have other agendas as well, but it is great all be together.

sirskidzalot
03-13-2008, 09:42 AM
ski boat, can you really make that drive in 5 hours?I've never beat 6 hrs. from Buff,even in the summer.Maybe you go 90mph. :o

skiboats
03-13-2008, 04:54 PM
90 to 81 is about 130 miles, 2hrs. 81 to 3 is about 60 miles, less than an hour. 3 to 86 into LP is about 122 miles about 2 hours.

A lot faster than 90-87.

Maybe a little more than 5 hours but not a bad ride. I set the cruise at 73 except for on 3.

sirskidzalot
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
yeah,I guess if you put the pedal to the metal,I get kinda mellow after a few hours behind the wheel.I love the rt. 3 stretch though.It's kinda painful to see how much snow the Watertown area gets and then watch it slowly deminish the closer you get to the high peaks.Could you imagine Whiteface 60 plus miles to the east.There would be no comparison,it would beat Alta's snowfall.Those big fat clouds would dump it all tryng to rise above the mountain tops.ahh ...I can dream.